1.    #1  
    Here goes....

I got the 650 the week it came out and for various reasons had to get rid of it. During the brief time that I had with it, I used LauncherX and noticed that it was fine except that the 5way's center button did not work in all locations.

Well, I am back with a new 650 and looking for a launcher. I understand that there are many proponents of ZLauncher and I understand that it has some substantial benefits, but I really like LauncherX.

After a search, it appears that many, many users seem to be using LauncherX on the 650. Are all of you just dealing with the imperfect 5way center button's select fuctionality or has there been an update that I have been unable to locate?

Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I can't get it to wotk either. I can scroll down, change catagories, but can't select programs. Too bad because its probably my favorite of all the launchers...
    Search the forums. It doesn't work, you can use the return key as a replacement int he meantime. No one knows why Palm keeps breaking their own 5-way controller so previous versions don't work. Launcher X needs to be updated but its creator died in a tragic car accident last year, so Snappermail's author is supposed to be the new keeper of Launcher X as soon as he has the time.

I still use Launcher X even though it has this glitch, I consider it vastly superior to the other launchers.
  4.    #4  
    Ahh, the return key works. I didn't know that. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    Search the forums. It doesn't work, you can use the return key as a replacement int he meantime. No one knows why Palm keeps breaking their own 5-way controller so previous versions don't work. Launcher X needs to be updated but its creator died in a tragic car accident last year, so Snappermail's author is supposed to be the new keeper of Launcher X as soon as he has the time.

I still use Launcher X even though it has this glitch, I consider it vastly superior to the other launchers.
    So...how do you highlight an icon? Using return just does the same as hitting the d-pad, scrolls through catagories, but won't launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by MHR
    Ahh, the return key works. I didn't know that. Thanks!
    Damn, I didn't know that either and I dumped LX last month when I got my 650...sigh....to go back or to keep ZL....LX may not ever see another update.....

Prolly just keep ZL....I miss LX though.
    You first have to make LX go into "selection" mode. I do this by pressing the first letter of the item I want to run. If that doesn't take you directly to it, you can then use the Dpad and return to run your selection. Works nicely actually.
    Center button doesn't work for the 650. I contacted their Customer Support a month ago and they said their next version will fully support the Treo 650, but they couldn't give me an estimated release date. I used LauncherX's for a while with the Treo 600 and liked its simplicity and ease of use, but because I wasn't able to use the Center button function on the 650, I switched over to ZLauncher and learned to use it and love it.
    You first have to make LX go into "selection" mode. I do this by pressing the first letter of the item I want to run. If that doesn't take you directly to it, you can then use the Dpad and return to run your selection. Works nicely actually.
    Thanx. Got it. Having a brain cramp, and didn't put two and two (select/enter) together.

DOH!!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Wow, thanks for the return key tip. Another functional method is Butler's "Side Key=Select" option. When selected, the side key (below the volume rocker) can be used to "select" apps. When coupled with Butler's option to enable the Volume keys to scroll, you have almost one handed navigation in Launcher X. Two downsides:

1. With the Side Key option selected, you lost press and hold (VoiceDial) as well as double click (KBLightsOff) functionality.

2. You still cannot highlight a program in Launcher X without pressing the letter of an app that exists in the folder you are viewing at the time...is there a way that I'm not aware of? I've given the developer a suggestion to allow the up-down buttons to move from the folders tab to the apps to the gadgets down below to allow true one-handed operation...
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Thanx. Got it. Having a brain cramp, and didn't put two and two (select/enter) together.
    No problem
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    Wow, thanks for the return key tip. Another functional method is Butler's "Side Key=Select" option. When selected, the side key (below the volume rocker) can be used to "select" apps. When coupled with Butler's option to enable the Volume keys to scroll, you have almost one handed navigation in Launcher X. Two downsides:
    Good ideas. I just hope we get an update to fix the 5-way, but anything else will be appreciated. Hopefull they will be able to release something in the next few months.

Can I ask you about Butler though? I paid for my copy back when it first came out on the 600, and I consider it one of the key apps that made the 600 such a nice tool for me. On the 650 though, I found it a little unstable (removing it got rid of a few resets). I then read on some other thread about instabilities and confusedVorlon himself saying something about not finding a way to fix some issue... so, my question to you is, how is it working for you these days? What version are you using?
    Good ideas. I just hope we get an update to fix the 5-way, but anything else will be appreciated. Hopefull they will be able to release something in the next few months.

Can I ask you about Butler though? I paid for my copy back when it first came out on the 600, and I consider it one of the key apps that made the 600 such a nice tool for me. On the 650 though, I found it a little unstable (removing it got rid of a few resets). I then read on some other thread about instabilities and confusedVorlon himself saying something about not finding a way to fix some issue... so, my question to you is, how is it working for you these days? What version are you using?
    I am using 2.52, which is the latest beta. This version has fixed most of the issues, but one main limitation it has at this point is that while in the phone app, the phone button is disabled (it is intended as a keyguard), disabling the ability to access the call log.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    A fix to enable the center button for LauncherX has been posted in this thread!

Do It Yourself hackers see posts #11 and #25. A pre-hacked LauncherX_v1.1.1.prc has been posted in #33.

Multiple users so far and no complaints.

ERic