Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just posted a new freeware app to PalmGear to enable text selection using the navigation pad on the Treo 600/650. I've been using this on my 600 (recently upgraded to a 650) for months, and finally got around to cleaning it up enough for public release. I know TST has been around for a while, but alternatives are always nice.

You can get it at:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=89468

The feature set includes:

• Select text using your Treo 600/650 navigation pad.
    • One-handed operation - if you can hold your phone, you can select text!
    • Configurable selection behavior even while in use.
    • Optionally enable the PalmOS command bar in menu-less applications.
    • All this, and it's free!

The latest version is 2.2.2. If you have an older version, please visit PalmGear and get the update.
    Last edited by arognlie; 02/17/2005 at 08:49 AM.
    can you have it dial a number if it is selected from text?
    Treoing & Loving it
  3.    #3  
    That is not a current feature. But of course, it could be added. How would you see that working? I don't think users would want that to happen all the time. Maybe add it as an icon on the command bar? Currently, you can copy a number, switch to the phone app, then paste it and dial.

If you can come up with a reasonable scenario for how you'd like to see this happen, I can consider adding it.
    Excellent app. I'm a registered TST user, but don't use it anymore because I found it made my 600 sluggish.

I like the way you have to turn it on, gets over any possible conflicts etc.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Nice work argnlie

Two issues:

1. If one selects by line and reaches the end of the visible page the next selected line will UNselect everything previously. Could you update this so that one can select text past the visible page?

2. If configured to select by word, spaces between words are handled as "words' and so selecting consecutive words requires extra "clicks." IMO (as in other Treo Select Tools such as TST and ClipPro) the spaces are ignored when selecting by word.
  6.    #6  
    I've never used TST, but I can say that I've never noticed any slowdown on my own system while having FieldPlus active. I have it on all the time.

I find it's great to make shopping lists in memo pad. With one hand, I can delete a whole line as I get things from my list while holding the shopping basket in the other. To delete a whole line with one hand,

1. position the caret at the beginning of a line.
    2. press (don't hold) shift to activate one-hand mode.
    3. press up to select the line above or down to select the line below.
    4. press backspace to delete the line.

The caret will be left at the beginning of a line, so it easy to move to another line just by using up and down to remove the next item from your list.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by elysian9
    Nice work argnlie

Two issues:

1. If one selects by line and reaches the end of the visible page the next selected line will UNselect everything previously. Could you update this so that one can select text past the visible page?

2. If configured to select by word, spaces between words are handled as "words' and so selecting consecutive words requires extra "clicks." IMO (as in other Treo Select Tools such as TST and ClipPro) the spaces are ignored when selecting by word.
    Regarding point 1, thanks for catching this. That never used to be a problem, so I must have whacked something while preparing for release. I'll check it out. (Though it will have to wait till I get home from work tonight.)

On point 2, I can add an option for Word select to allow users to decide whether to stop at spaces, or to skip over them. Personally, I like the current behavior (that's why I did it that way ), but I can see your point.
    Quote Originally Posted by arognlie
    Regarding point 1, thanks for catching this. That never used to be a problem, so I must have whacked something while preparing for release. I'll check it out. (Though it will have to wait till I get home from work tonight.)

On point 2, I can add an option for Word select to allow users to decide whether to stop at spaces, or to skip over them. Personally, I like the current behavior (that's why I did it that way ), but I can see your point.
    Looking forward to the update! I like the idea of a user preference for skipping/not skipping spaces
    How is this different from Snap! Clip and is there a way to put this program on the SD card or does it have to be in RAM?
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
  10.    #10  
    I believe Snap! Clip only works when you select on screen with the stylus. The main purpose of this program is to select text with the 5-way nav. Displaying the command bar was an afterthough I added after trying to paste a url into TuSSH to connect to a computer. The address dialog had no menu, so menu-P would not paste. In this case, I don't think Snap! Clip would work very well either. I would need to write some text, select it with the stylus (to bring up the command bar), then tap paste. With FieldPlus, I can just hold then menu button, then tap the paste icon.

Unfortunately, I don't think this will work on a card. This program plugs into the control panel, so must be in RAM for the Prefs app to see it. Also, it gets invoked with every key press you make, so constantly loading it from the card would probably be detrimental to the performance of your system.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find system extensions that can reside on an external card.
    Thanks for sharing your useful app, arognlie!
  12.    #12  
    I fixed the bug that elysian9 pointed out, and added the word-selection mode behavior option. Please download the new version (it's at the same location, but here's the link again for convenience). You should just be able to sync it over the existing version.

e9- Let me know if this is how you expected it to behave.
    Nice! Thanks for this fantastic freeware!
    Woah! Excellent work arognlie, thanks much.

Edit: I just spent the last 30 minutes playing around with this proggie... BEAUTIFUL! Works as well as I could possibly expect, very clever and handy implementation.

I would definitely second the request to add an option for dialing a highlighted number. Since you already have functionality for bringing out the command bar, you could do it by adding a button to the command bar that will dial the selected number when clicked. Another option would be to have an unusual menu key combination, such as menu-backspace, or menu-space.
    Last edited by NSiNSiNSi; 01/11/2005 at 04:09 AM.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I've always wanted to do one-hand text select. This is such a great app!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    I would definitely second the request to add an option for dialing a highlighted number. Since you already have functionality for bringing out the command bar, you could do it by adding a button to the command bar that will dial the selected number when clicked. Another option would be to have an unusual menu key combination, such as menu-backspace, or menu-space.
    Clip Pro already has this function in it's Tools selection, so it is technically possible.

I like the new option to handle spaces differently
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Routinely, 10 digit numbers are underlined (except in memos) and when I click on the number, a separate dialogue pops up asking me if I wanted to dial with the number pasted in the pop up dialogue, not the case in memos. Your app could do the same thing, if a 10 digit number is highlighted in memos the same dial pop up should be seen with the same prompt, you do not have to reinvent the wheel.

That is not a current feature. But of course, it could be added. How would you see that working? I don't think users would want that to happen all the time. Maybe add it as an icon on the command bar? Currently, you can copy a number, switch to the phone app, then paste it and dial.

If you can come up with a reasonable scenario for how you'd like to see this happen, I can consider adding it.
    Treoing & Loving it
    I fixed the bug that elysian9 pointed out, and added the word-selection mode behavior option. Please download the new version (it's at the same location, but here's the link again for convenience). You should just be able to sync it over the existing version.

e9- Let me know if this is how you expected it to behave.
    Yes, it all works well.

If you type the following "(FieldPlus)", including the parenthesis but not the quotes, and with the cursor like this: (FieldPlus)|, and if you have FP configured with all boxes checked, then selecting by word left --or word right if the cursor is like this: |(FieldPlus) -- seems a bit counterintuitive, because the non-alphanumeric symbols are not highlighted consistently or as one might expect, but... if you center toggle then this is easily managed. It's hard to describe, but if you try selecting the text in this example you will see what I mean. IMO, the center toggle is a superb and very clever feature. Is there any way to get it to work while NOT in one-handed mode.

(BTW, the above link goes to the developer sign-in page.)
    Last edited by elysian9; 01/11/2005 at 08:53 AM.
  19.    #19  
    Oops, here's the correct link for anyone having trouble.

elysian9, I had thrown all non-alphanumeric characters into the same handling category.

With that knowledge, the current behavior should be entirely consistent. The first time you press left, the ) is selected, but this is non-alnum so FieldPlus continues until the leading edge of the next word. The second time you press left, the remaining ( is selected, but this is the first character, so it stops. If you had written this elsewhere in a memo, it would have continued selecting to the leading edge of the next word.

Would you rather non-alnum non-whitespace characters go letter-by-letter? Maybe group non-alnum non-whitespace characters with regular characters? Another option? For instance, I could see some people would want to have 'hyphenated-text' selected all as one, while some might want to have the cursor stop on the word boundaries. I'm happy to continue tweaking this until we get it just right.

Regarding center toggle not in one-handed mode, it also works for me if I hold Shift (two-handed mode). Did you hae something else in mind?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    Routinely, 10 digit numbers are underlined (except in memos) and when I click on the number, a separate dialogue pops up asking me if I wanted to dial with the number pasted in the pop up dialogue, not the case in memos. Your app could do the same thing, if a 10 digit number is highlighted in memos the same dial pop up should be seen with the same prompt, you do not have to reinvent the wheel.
    Directly dialing a number isn't a problem. I'll have to poke around a bit to see if the Smart Text Engine number dialog is readily available. My more immediate concern is how to trigger this behavior without possibly trampling on another application's functionality.

A command bar button would be the most general and non-destructive way to enable it, though stylus-free users would need to tap the activtion icon. Alternatively, I could handle text-recognition of phone numbers that are selected with the 5-way, and leave it to other apps such as Clip Pro to handle the behavior when users tap and drag. Thoughts?
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast