Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arognlie
    Ok, here's 2.2.1b which should restore the 2.1 behavior under DateBk. ChasT, could you verify?
    Thanks, 2.2.1b works the same as 2.1.
    Great again
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    rudychow, could you see whether the attached file fixes your issue? As near as I can figure your issue was caused by some legacy code still floating around. This should be v2.2.1a.

-Ansel
    Hi Ansell, I tried v2.2.1b and it works great now! Thanks!
  3.    #83  
    Glad to hear things are back to normal. I'm waiting on one other user over at MTDN before 2.2.1b becomes the official 2.2.1 release. Once that happens, I would suggest moving to the official release, as there are actually several versions of 2.2.1a/b floating around. So if you run into a probem with one of those, my first response will be 'Have you upgraded to 2.2.1?'

However, if things are working fine, there's really no great rush to update till the next version comes out.

-Ansel
    Hi Ansel, just noticed a little quirk with DateBk5.

DateBk5 assigns a popup function whenever option + spacebar is pressed on an event. As the event is also a text field, there is a quirk when FieldPlus is set to nav mode. Particularly when I want to add text to the end of a description: I press opt + right to get to the end of the description, at which point I hit spacebar, but this brings up the popup list instead of inputing a space. Is this fixable?

Just wondering, in light of recent incompatibility problems, is it possible to have 2 seperate exclusion lists - one for highlight mode and another for navigation mode?
  5.    #85  
    That issue seems to be related to how DateBk tracks the input of the option (and sometimes shift) buttons. I wasn't aware of the opt+space shortcut (I don't use DateBk), but in the demo I've been testing on, a common behavior that I would see is that I would select or move over a word, then press left or right again (for whatever reason - unselect the selection, move back a letter, whatever) DateBk would think the option/shift key was pressed and jump to the next week. Like it thought the first key press was sort of it's own one-hand mode trigger and since it doesn't see any of the intervening key presses (FP swallows them), it waits patiently for the next key that performs a one-hand operation. People hadn't been reporting this in actual use, though, so I figured that it wasn't an actual problem.

Your issue sounds similar, but a comprehensive diagnosis and subsequent fix will have to wait for the next release.

The next version of FP will have better delineated selecting and moving operations, so I'll consider doubling up the exclusion list then, but again, it will have to wait.

-Ansel
  6.    #86  
    Okay, still progressing towards 2.2.1. 2.2.1c is available for testing here. This adds some workarounds for DateBk (warning, while FP should behave better in DateBk, this seems to prevent use of the opt+space DateBk menu. If you don't care, no problem; please post feedback on this) and for SnapperMail (SnapperMail does some weird things with the cursor when scrolling through an email message that is being composed which this tries to address; this fix should have no adverse consequences).

I'll hit 2.2.1 eventually. And the sooner I do, the sooner I'll begin some major restructuring and enhancement.

-Ansel
  7.    #87  
    Alrighty, 2.2.1 has been officially released and is available at PalmGear.

Fixes in this release include:
    - Fixed bug that lost exclusion settings when 2.2 was installed over 2.1
    - Fixed improper version reporting. 2.2 was listed as 2.2a. Current version should show 2.2.1
    - Fixed unable to select certain non-typical characters, such as the bullet character.
    - Fixed date jumping and selection problems when running in DateBk.
    - Fixed jumping problems in SnapperMail.
    - Fixed crash problem when clicking menus in Phone app
    - Added check to try to minimize application cross-talk
    - Fixed incomplete clearing of graffiti state

If you saw any of these, please get 2.2.1.

-Ansel
    Ansell, how about implementing a timeout feature for the nav mode?

For example, when you hit the option key, if there is no movement on the 5-way after 2 seconds (user configurable), FP kicks out of nav mode and reverts the option key's behaviour to the current app's function. Also, the timeout need not have a visual indicator as having one might possibly bring abt some redrawing issues (which is another can of worms altogether).

Would this be possible?

Update: This version doesn't play as nice with DateBk5 as the previous one. Not only does it disable Opt+Space, but ALL Option Combinations won't work at all once the cursor is in edit-in-place mode. Means you can't check/uncheck items. I'm going back to version 2.2.1b.
    Last edited by rudychow; 02/16/2005 at 08:57 AM.
  9.    #89  
    DateBk will be the death of me, I swear.

In order to get around how they check for the option button (so that page jumps and the space button won't pop up after moving) I have to stifle the option button press while in a field. If they would actually check the **** shift state in addition to just watching for the initial opt press, there would be no issue.

That being said, I will begin work on FP 2.5 shortly (it will be a signficant update, so I'm jumping a few version increments). Some configuration things I'd like to look into are:

- enhanced per application configuration for selection and movement
    - selectively enable/disable one-hand mode (currently always enabled)

I could also look into your idea for a timeout, so if the user enters one-hand mode, but doesn't press an actual navigation key within the timeout, then the original option press could perhaps pass through as normal. Hopefully you'd be able to find some combination of options that would work for you.

So I guess, just sit tight with 2.2.1b if that works best for you, and I'll hunker down to work on the next update. Feel free to contact me via email if you want to have closer involvement with testing out DateBk compatibility in the future. Again, I don't use it, so all I can test with is a demo. But more importantly, since I don't use it, I don't know how _others_ use it. Meanwhile, I may fire off a message or two to Pimlico and vent.

-Ansel
    Don't vent too harshly with Pimlico, they are actually very good at responding to problem and bringing out updates

In fact they are almost as good as you
    Thought of the day :
    That is not a current feature. But of course, it could be added. How would you see that working? I don't think users would want that to happen all the time. Maybe add it as an icon on the command bar? Currently, you can copy a number, switch to the phone app, then paste it and dial.

If you can come up with a reasonable scenario for how you'd like to see this happen, I can consider adding it.
    Please forgive if this is a duplicate. I haven't read the whole thread.

The scenario I like is the old Visor/Springboard Phone approach: if you have a number selected then go to the Phone app (hard button), the number is copied over to the dialpad and ready for dialing.

I miss that from the Visor days (don't miss much else, but that was anice feature).
    This app can dial numbers, as does Clip Pro. Both can also sms numbers
    Thought of the day :
    Just downloaded
    Excellent!
  15.    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    The scenario I like is the old Visor/Springboard Phone approach: if you have a number selected then go to the Phone app (hard button), the number is copied over to the dialpad and ready for dialing.

I miss that from the Visor days (don't miss much else, but that was a nice feature).
    I hope you were able to find this feature. It's the 'use selection' option in the action list. This option can use phone numbers, urls, and email addresses.
  16.    #96  
    Would the DateBk users here be able to provide me with a list of common option+? features in DateBk so that I don't trample any more in the next release?

-Ansel
    I hope you were able to find this feature. It's the 'use selection' option in the action list. This option can use phone numbers, urls, and email addresses.
    Yes I did!!!

Now, what would be a nice added benefit is being able to select text from an email message (i.e. non-field text). Or, even if there was a "cursor-like" feature (similar to capabilities in laptophack) where I could "click-and-drag" to select (i.e. press <SHIFT>, move cursor to new position, press <SHIFT> again, all text between the two points is selected)
  18.    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Yes I did!!!

Now, what would be a nice added benefit is being able to select text from an email message (i.e. non-field text). Or, even if there was a "cursor-like" feature (similar to capabilities in laptophack) where I could "click-and-drag" to select (i.e. press <SHIFT>, move cursor to new position, press <SHIFT> again, all text between the two points is selected)
    Unfortunately, I think the scope of FieldPlus will continue to be restricted to standard fields at this time.

-Ansel
    Unfortunately, I think the scope of FieldPlus will continue to be restricted to standard fields at this time.

-Ansel
    Not a problem. In fact, I just realized that if I really want to copy from email, I can generate a reply first then the text becomes editable (or just pull out the stylus )

This app is what I was looking for. Thanx
  20.    #100  
    Update:

I got my hands on a newer version of DateBk (5.4a,p7 - is this the most recent?) to demo (the demo on PalmGear was evidently quite old and I hadn't realized that I could just download the full version from pimlicosoftware and it would run as a demo -- and yes, I do feel appropriately ashamed for not checking into this sooner ). I already noticed some behavioral differences between the version that I had been using and the latest one. I've also received a list of navigation functionality to help me avoid whacking anything else.

I'll take another quick swing at DateBk compatibility using this version before moving on to the next development round.

Hmm: the change in behavior isn't as different as I thought. In any case, at least I should be seeing what you all are seeing.

-Ansel
    Last edited by arognlie; 02/16/2005 at 05:38 PM.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast