Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Stay away from backupman if you are a Treo 650 user. I know this has been touched on before, but I wanted to add that their support offers NO refunds, despite the fact that the tech-note on their site is not listed anywhere on Palmgear.com.

When I respectfully requested a refund since their product does not work, and I was not informed of this prior to purchase I was told that they do not offer refunds, because they offer a trial version to test before purchasing their software.

Does this seem reasonable? To me it does not. Maybe if before purchase they said 'Make sure you test our software via trial before purchase!'.

So it's *my* fault that I assumed software for purchase would work unless otherwise noted?

Ridiculous.
    The software works flawlessly for me.

What version are you operating?

K
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I cannot disagree more with Bjackson. I have been using BackupMan for 2 months backing up 2X a day. Got a new 650 becasue old 650 BT stopped working. Popped my SD card in new 650 and did a complete restore. Worked like a charm. This thing has saved my bacon AGAIN!
    Backupman works on the 650? I didn't think it did?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjackson
    Does this seem reasonable?
    To me that seems pretty reasonable. They give you a trial...you try it and see if it works. I'm not saying your dishonest but there are enough people out there that would buy and then claim "it doesn't work give me a refund" that the developer would be out of business. As for the Treo 650 issue they should say something about it on all sites that they sell or distribute the software on. Backup software must be very open about limitations because it's not ever going to be really tested until you _really_ need it to work.

Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Backupman works on the 650? I didn't think it did?
    There is a beta (v1.52b) that I've been using without failure for the past month. It has been reported that the more memory you have open on your phone, the better the app works with fewer error messages. I have had as little as 7M open and I have NEVER (knock on wood) had any sort of error message associated with Backupman and I back my phone up at least twice a day. I've used BackupMan on 3 different occasions to completely restore my device and I used it several times to restore individual files.

K
    Thanks nchargreed, I'm backing up with the new version right now. I don't think I'm going to enable automatic backups, though.
    Oops. Just crashed. Oh well.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ayasin
    To me that seems pretty reasonable. They give you a trial...you try it and see if it works. I'm not saying your dishonest but there are enough people out there that would buy and then claim "it doesn't work give me a refund" that the developer would be out of business. As for the Treo 650 issue they should say something about it on all sites that they sell or distribute the software on. Backup software must be very open about limitations because it's not ever going to be really tested until you _really_ need it to work.
    For the record, I'm not claiming out of the blue 'it doesn't work give me a refund'... There is a notice on THEIR website that says it won't work on the 650's because of some issues.

IF THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN LISTED ANYWHERE during my purchase, I would have done the trial version, but it's NOT.

If there are problems known, it MUST be listed at all purchase points. I can't believe that folks think it is 'OK' to deny a refund for a non-working product with KNOWN issues that are NOT communicated to the consumer during purchase.

Take a look at the description here: http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=46552

It clearly states it is compatible with ANY palm OS hardware, and compatibility with OS5...

Again, from all this, I am supposed to 'assume' that their product DOESN'T work, and test it myself otherwise tough sh*t?

It doesn't work.
    They know it doesn't work.
    They never told me before I bought it that it MIGHT not work, or that it WON'T work.
    But it's my problem because I didn't assume that it wouldn't work.

I have higher consumer standards then this, I mean the $10 won't kill me, but the principle of the fact that they get away with this is.

I guess I'm a more discriminating consumer.

(I am using the beta and getting the memory errors. A poster above stated that they have been using it with 'as little as 7mb' free???? In what world is 7mb free a little when this device ships with such a small amount of free internal mem)

b
    Last edited by Bjackson; 01/10/2005 at 10:37 AM.
    I have been using the beta version on my 650 for a few weeks now with some success. Many times I need to do a soft reset before the backup will complete. If I don't reset first, more offten then not, backupman will fail trying to backup "Shim Logs" saying the database is in use.

I don't believe this is a problem with backupman but rather some other app not closing it's file. Problem is, I have been unable to determine what the hell "Shim Logs" belongs to.

Any Ideas ?

-Xathros
    There are reports that doing a backup or restore with the phone radio on is the main cause of problems. Make sure the phone is off before using the program.
    Zane
    use it everday, sometimes more than once and never had a problem. Backupman has been a life saver for me. Also my friend uses it as well with no problems at all.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    There are reports that doing a backup or restore with the phone radio on is the main cause of problems. Make sure the phone is off before using the program.
    Zane
    I thought of that but even with the phone off, I still get the Shim Logs in use. After a soft reset, turn on Phone, wait for it to resister on network, turn off phone, backup runs fine. A few hours later it won't backup past the Shim Logs again until another soft reset. I don't think Shim Logs is related to the phone but really still don't have a clue what it belongs to.

Anyway, not a major problem as I can reset before a backup but it would be nice to use the schedule feature. Just can't unless I remember to reset shortly before the backup is scheduled.

-X
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    use it everday, sometimes more than once and never had a problem. Backupman has been a life saver for me. Also my friend uses it as well with no problems at all.
    I didn't have a problem when using it with the 600 like you have. It's the 650 that causes some hiccups.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Oops. Just crashed. Oh well.
    oooooooo...just crashed? what kind of error did you get? I am dumbfounded that this program works well for some and not at all for others.

K
    Bummer that BackupMan is causing so much turmoil. I always thought well of the developers. It appears that the new memory in the T|5 and Treo 650 are giving them fits and they even admittedly have hit a brick wall with development.

Not affiliated in any way, but BackupBuddyVFS Pro is in beta and has appeared to solved many of the issues with the new memory. I know of some users that have had issue with the beta, but it is working great for me. I have only experienced one anomaly, shim logs database open, but I only had to redo a backup once because of it and I have been using the beta with both manual and automated backups every day since the 29th of December.

I am a longtime registered user of both BlueNomad's and BitsNBolts products. I have the utmost confidence that BlueNomad will (and probably already have) solve this issue and release solid code that works. I am less confident that BitsNBolts will come through on this one, they seem to be really lost this time.

I am NOT trying to convince anyone to switch, have no need to and I am not concerned which software you choose to backup with. Just providing my thoughts on the matter.

Not too mention the fact that BackupBuddy for Windows works, period. They have a longer history with Palm and are a Platinum certified PalmOne developer.

My Treo 650 is backed up every night with the beta and I have restored twice with it as well. BackupMan just gave me errors, incomplete backups with resets and hassle.

In the end we'll see, it is an interesting race.
    I use BackupMan on my T650. Only rarely does it fail to backup. No soft/hard resets though. But honestly, I haven't tried a restore on it yet, so what do I know.

I think all vendors should offer a refund for products. I think there's something foul when you cant' get your money back for a program that doesn't work. I also think its not smart of Bits n' Bolts to continue to sell their software and have no options for refund when they KNOW its buggy on the lastest device. They need to take responsibility for this. It may not be their fault that the file system has changed, but they should know better than to continue to market it with no refund.
  18.    #18  
    I have contacted Palmgear.com to try and get a refund from then, I really am bothered by bitsNbolts complete lack of support or sympathy in this situation.

Paranoid - Thanks for the recomendation, I will be trying out BackupBuddy.

For the record, I will not be giving any money, business or recommendation to bitsNbolts. My office has ordered numerous 650's to go into our sales forces hands, with more to come if they are fully adopted - I am recommending that we stay AWAY from anything bitsnbolts. I realize they could care less, but thought it was relevant that they have given away what could have been a decent amount of sales revenue, just to keep my presonal $10.00 for their non-working software.

Thanks again for the replies.

b
    Except for the "Shim Logs" issue, Backupman is working just fine for me. I just used it to restore my versamail messagesDB a few minutes ago when versamail did it's usual unexplainable reset on launch bit...

As for the restore, all went well - I picked the most recent backup, selected restore individual files, checked the 3 files I needed to restore and hit Restore. Backup man prompted for Overwrite on all 3 and it restored without a hitch.

My only question is: WTF is Shim Logs ? and what creates/uses it/them ?

-X
    Not really criticizing Bjackson, but I think we are, as consumers, responsible for at least some effort before we spend our money. I NEVER buy a program for the Palm/Treo platform that doesn't offer a functional trial version, and I always test out that trial before plunking down my cash. One of the great things about Palm software is that almost every product has a trial version available. Try finding trial versions of most PC software you can evaluate before purchasing.

On top of that, there's a very long thread here on treocentral dealing with backup software. I'm getting my 650 from VC today, and I won't be loading any backup software without looking throught that thread (and others) for other userss experiences and recommendations. As a matter of fact, I won't be loading any software without searching TC for information about compatibility.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast