Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    ... Try finding trial versions of most PC software you can evaluate before purchasing.

...On top of that, there's a very long thread here on treocentral dealing with backup software. I'm getting my 650 from VC today, and I won't be loading any backup software without looking throught that thread (and others) for other userss experiences and recommendations. As a matter of fact, I won't be loading any software without searching TC for information about compatibility.
    I agree with the trial thing. Try it and buy it if it works and don't if it doesn't...PERIOD.

However, Bitsnbolts, should not assume that its buyers have a resource like these boards to research known issues with their programs.

I am happily using Backupman without error, but the irony is that had I not already had a registered copy that I used on my 600 THERE IS NO WAY, after reading these boards, that I would even bother myself with the trial version.

K
    I come to this forum and read up on any software I'm going to purchase - basically ya'll do the testing for me ;->
    I am curious about why some people are having issues, and others not. I've had Backupman (beta since it was available) for over 2 months, and recently used it while I did numerous hard-resets during ROM overwriting "playing" - NO issues. I mean, I've used at least 10 different backups, and every one of them restored fine whether the phone was on or off during backup - the only hiccup I got on restore was that Backupman would not back up a ringer installed, if it was downloaded directly from the net. If I downloaded from an email attachment, no problem.

What gives - why is it giving some people fits, and it works flawlessly for others.
    Quote Originally Posted by airjoe
    I am curious about why some people are having issues, and others not. I've had Backupman (beta since it was available) for over 2 months, and recently used it while I did numerous hard-resets during ROM overwriting "playing" - NO issues. I mean, I've used at least 10 different backups, and every one of them restored fine whether the phone was on or off during backup - the only hiccup I got on restore was that Backupman would not back up a ringer installed, if it was downloaded directly from the net. If I downloaded from an email attachment, no problem.

What gives - why is it giving some people fits, and it works flawlessly for others.
    Right! I am sooo scratching my head on this one. I've used backupman to completely restore a replacement 650 and had no problems atall.

K
  5.    #25  
    meyerweb - I can respect your opinion, but I don't agree...

Since when did it become the consumer's responsibility to research and find the KNOWN issues with a product or service before purchasing? It certainly is a smart idea, but it is not a system that should relieve the manufacturer from giving refunds for a product that they KNOW doesn't work.

Based on the fact that the product description states compatibility with "ALL PALM HARDWARE DEVICES", basically what the softare developers were telling me by refusing my refund because a trial is available is this, plain and simple:

"We are not giving you a refund, because we offer a trial version. If you would have downloaded the trial version, you would then have known that the compatibility that we TOLD YOU AHEAD OF TIME was a complete and total LIE."

And worse yet, is that no-one but myself a few others seems to even be bothered by this system. It's 'okay' with most users based on the replies here. Basically the sentiment is that it's the consumers fault for believing what they were told at the time of purchase.

Sure, if I would have checked here first, maybe I would have known that they were LYING about the compatibility. But it shouldn't be my problem, and it shouldn't cost me money.

b
    I find that if I have less than about 4 megs free, then backupman fails. If I have more than that free, I am usually OK. Soft resetting before backing up also works well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    Not affiliated in any way, but BackupBuddyVFS Pro is in beta ....
    Can someone post the link to where the beta can be downloaded from? I looked on BlueNomad's site, but didn't stumble onto it (just a note that Treo 650 is NOT supported yet).

TIA,
    ChickenHawk
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed
    oooooooo...just crashed? what kind of error did you get? I am dumbfounded that this program works well for some and not at all for others.

K
    Eh. I don't remember. I tried it again and it worked. Such is life. Now to wait for them to resend my registration ID.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHawk
    Can someone post the link to where the beta can be downloaded from? I looked on BlueNomad's site, but didn't stumble onto it (just a note that Treo 650 is NOT supported yet).

TIA,
    ChickenHawk
    TIA, this page gives you the link to the Beta and other information that you may need should you be one of the many experiencing crashes, resets or errors.

Bits n Bolts BackupMan Beta (v1.52b)

Good luck

K
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Backupman saved my behind. It worked great!
    BackupMan has been working fine for me. Iíve done a number of multiple file restores and a full restore after a hard reset this past weekend. It does seem odd that people are having so many problems while others are not, but that seems to be the nature of the 650.

As for the original post, I think that PalmGear owes it to its customers to post if there are any device incompatibilities with products they sell. At the very least they should refer to what the developer reports. HOWEVER, as a general rule of thumb, you owe it to yourself to take advantage of a free trial. In this instance you receive an uncrippled copy, so why not try before you buy?

The 650 has so far proven to behave differently for different people. With prior Palm and Clie devices, I purchased software safely assuming I wouldnít have a problem. The 650 has caused me to check this site prior to any purchase. Iím not happy I feel the need to do that, but it is something Iím willing to do in order to safeguard my data.
    Bjackson:

Maybe you can explain WHY you purchased it without first downloading the trial. That's something I just don't understand.

As for whether or not consumers should have to do "due diligence" before purchasing a product, any product, I think the answer is yes. I wouldn't walk in off the street and buy a car without checking up on various models first. I know lots of people do, but that doesn't make it smart. I won't buy anything from CompUSA because of their absurd return polices, and yes, I checked on their policies before I made a purchase. I don't buy a computer or anti-virus software, for example, without searching for reviews.

Again, I realize many people don't bother. But if more of us did, then maybe manufacturers wouldn't get away with putting as much junk on the market as they do.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  13.    #33  
    "Maybe you can explain WHY you purchased it without first downloading the trial. That's something I just don't understand."

Sure, because it is clearly stated that it WILL work. It's that simple, shouldn't I as a consumer be able to believe the producers of a product? Or at the very least feel comfortable that if they don't make good on their word (that it WORKS) then I am entitled to a refund?

If software developers can get away with releasing shoddy code, with known problems and WITHOUT STATING THESE PROBLEMS beforehand (and then refusing a refund), then I should just write some p.o.s code, say that it works, and sell it. Why not? Due diligence, right? As long as I make a trial version that doesn't work available, anyone who sends me money is at fault. This is your stance.

" I wouldn't walk in off the street and buy a car without checking up on various models first."

This analogy doesn't hold water. We are not discussing a 5 figure purchase. The point at hand also has nothing to do with what is 'smart' or not. Obviously it would have been smarter of me to download the trial, but I don't believe that it means they can LIE to me during the purchase, then tell me to pound sand over a $10 refund for a product that has KNOWN issues with the hardware they told me it would run on.

"But if more of us did, then maybe manufacturers wouldn't get away with putting as much junk on the market as they do."

I believe the exact opposite, the reason they get away with it is because people like yourself put the responsibility on consumers. (no offense, this is not a personal attack) In this situation, I am the one fighting for a product that works as it is ADVERTISED. You are arguing that even though it didn't work, I should not be entitled to a refund because I didn't do MY 'due diligence'. Who here is letting the developer off the hook?

Good debate...

b
    I'm sitting in Starbucks and I'm bored, so I just went to the site linked above, downloaded the beta version of BackupMan (1.52b), emailed it to my Treo, installed, backed up to my SD card, did a hard reset, and restored everything from my SD card. The whole thing took just a few minutes, and it worked flawlessly. The user interface is ridiculously simple to use.

I can't see any problem with this software or any reason why it won't work on the 650, except maybe for conflicts with other 3rd party software.
    MacJ, that takes some serious guts to intentionally wipe your 650. :-)
    I used to have problems with BackupMan, but after I moved DocsToGo to the card, deleted some backgroud images from 3rd party apps (like Bob's Alarm's fall theme), and leave at least 5MB of space RAM, I haven't had any backup problems since.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    MacJ, that takes some serious guts to intentionally wipe your 650. :-)
    Sometimes ya gotta take a risk. The worst case scenario was that I would have to reload everything at home tonight and lose whatever I put on there after my last hotsync last night. Fortunately, that didn't happen and we got some good information about the app.

I agree that companies should disclose all known info regarding potential bugs or conflicts, but I can't imagine why anyone would pass up the opportunity of a free trial period. This is the concept that shareware has been built on for years.
    I dont get it. With ALL of the backup software available on the market, why is there such a bru ha ha regarding BUM?

Now got get me wrong, as Bjackson said, there should be something on ALL purchase sites stating the incompatiblity/flaws/errors on specific devices. I do understand that if he had seen this notice, he may have thought twice about making this purchase.

The bottom line, all software should have a trial basis. Many of us know that most software works flawlessly UNTIL the trial period is over. A little research though may have saved him some headache.

Treo|C has so many threads dedicated to buggy software on the 650. What I am curious about though is this: Bjackson, did you not know about try before you buy or did you just outright decide that this was the software for you and bought it?

EDITED: Just saw post #33. Not sure how I missed it before.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Thanks for the link ncargreed, but actually I was inquiring about the beta for BlueNomad's BackupBuddyVFS Pro.

Does anyone know where I can download and test that from?

Thanks,
    ChickenHawk
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjackson
    Sure, because it is clearly stated that it WILL work. It's that simple, shouldn't I as a consumer be able to believe the producers of a product?
    Clearly, the issue is not this simple. The product does work, and it works very well...but apparently this is true for some people but not for others. This is nothing new. Some people may find that a specific piece of software will not work for them, either because of a quirk of their hardware or because of software conflicts or because of user issues.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast