Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just upgraded to the Treo 650 from the Treo 600. I loaded my programs on the Treo 650 and I found an interesting situation. The SAME programs use more memory on the ^50 then the 600. If I compare the EXACT program on the 650 to the 600, in EVERY case the program file is larger on the 650 then the 600. It is about 25% larger. Anyone have any idea why it is this way?
    I wasn't going to respond to this, but couldn't help myself - try the "Search" option, You'll find about 100 threads beginning the day of the Sprint release (last Novemebr) covering this inside out.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    100? I'm thinking 500 minimum...
  4.    #4  
    Thanks guys! So this is the "famous" memory issue I heard about. Sorry, I didn't make the connection.

One other note, I found the 600 so much more stable then the 650. I guess you have to trade off more "wow" factor for instability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Grindell
    Thanks guys! So this is the "famous" memory issue I heard about. Sorry, I didn't make the connection.

I cannot help myself. How is it that you wouldn't have made the connection between the fact that you have run into a big memory problem and the fact that there is a "famous" memory problem that you have read about.

As a matter of fact, you started a thread concerning upgrading from the 600 to 650 where someone specifically responded to you warning you about a memory problem.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=65091
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    One other note, I found the 600 so much more stable then the 650. I guess you have to trade off more "wow" factor for instability.
    How did you upgrade to the 650? Did you do a sync with your old backed up data to load the 650, or did you start from scratch loading each app one by one? Did you search for, and read, the thread on software compatibility of various apps with the 650?

Syncing with the 600 backup directory is known to produce all kinds of stability problems. If this is what you did, do a hard reset and start over.

Also, search the forums here for information on each of your apps, and also check the manufacturer's and vendor's web sites for updates. Not all treo600 software is compatible with the 650.

Load one app at a time, and make sure it's stable before loading the next. Then, if you start having problems, you can figure out what is causing it. Finally, if your Treo resets, dial ##377 in the phone app. This will tell you what app was running when the reset ocurred.

HTH,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I just upgraded to the Treo 650 from the Treo 600. I loaded my programs on the Treo 650 and I found an interesting situation. The SAME programs use more memory on the ^50 then the 600. If I compare the EXACT program on the 650 to the 600, in EVERY case the program file is larger on the 650 then the 600. It is about 25% larger. Anyone have any idea why it is this way?

Wow, really? oh no...

Umm, it is called search...
    Cmon now you don't need all those crazy programs anyway. Palms are meant for doing 4 things and only 4 things. Calendar, contact, notes, and to do lists, with the Treo line adding phone calls to that list. Anything beyond that and you're being a greedy Power User which PalmOne considers an extremely small minority and not worth the trouble to satisfy. They'd prefer you move to Pocket PC or some other platform.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Settle down, people. An honest mistake, I'm sure.
    Dude you mofo need to back off. He was just asking a simple question for the love of God.

To answer your question yes there is a memory issue, but supposely palmone will release a fix for it. Don't ask when and don't hold your breath. Let's just pray that it will be sometime this year.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the support guys! I'm just a "burned out over 50 techie" that is probably entering the first stages of Alzheimer's. I'll have to pay more attention to the board before posting duplicate threads. SORRY!
    i have 16.1 megs free on my T650. i have 44 apps installed, beyond the built in ROM apps.

what memory shortage....
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    What do you have installed?

Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    i have 16.1 megs free on my T650. i have 44 apps installed, beyond the built in ROM apps.

what memory shortage....

what memory shortage....
    yes a list please if you dont mind.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson

what memory shortage....
    44 apps or contacts? Contacts, I would believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    44 apps or contacts? Contacts, I would believe.
    apps.

i did not say that the apps are in memory, of course. they're on my SD card, managed by PowerRun. works perfectly.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    After noticing on one of the threads that the new GSM Treo 650 will need a updated SIM card which is 64k bit compatible instead of the 32k bit that AT&T is on.

I have called my AT&T Customer Service Rep. to have them update my Sim card and they advised me that the charter system (initial unlimited Plan for AT&T GSM) will only work on 32 bit thus possibly not working on the Cingular edition Treo. I then called Cingular which reconfirmed that they cannot send me a new Sim card unless i migrate into one of their newer plans (Limited minute use) which i gotta be crazy to accept.

This all said will only apply if the Treo 650 will be locked which is what Cingular says their Treo will come Locked.

If anyone has any idea how to work around it, please post your message on this tread.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts

what memory shortage....

I read somewhere that you can remove some of the default apps like versamail by some means and this will gain you a ton of memory? anyone with more details.
    with a little bit of know-how, actually, about 10 min worth or less, you could have pdanet functionality for free. PDAnet has a right to charge whatever they wish, but $30 for the software is way too much in my opinion, considering the alternative that I and many people on this board are using works as well and is free.
    Amusing

apps.

i did not say that the apps are in memory, of course. they're on my SD card, managed by PowerRun. works perfectly.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast