1.    #1  
    Please excuse me if this questions answer is obvious.
    I am wondering if missing sync does require palm desktop to be installed?
    TIA
    Law school is a 3 year exersize in mind control--Thomas Newcomb

N400(P.O.S. )-->S.E. T608-->Treo 650-->moto rzr-->xv6700-->pn-820 but I really miss my Treo!!
    I installed over palm desktop, but I don't know if you have to. The Missing Sync documentation doesn't say in the installation requirements that you have to. If it was required, I would expect they would mention that.
    MissingSync uses the regular sync conduits installed by the Palm Desktop install (as part of the HotSync engine). And it manages conduits within the regular location for these as determined by HotSync (e.g., /Library/Application Support/Palm HotSync). If you uninstall Palm Desktop but leave all this stuff in place, it might work, but it's probably safer to just leave the Palm Desktop intact.

The key enabler for Missing Sync is that it disables the Palm HotSync "daemon" and replaces it with its own during installation. These "daemons" listen for sync requests from the Palm (either through a USB connection, network, IR and/or Bluetooth) and then do their thing. So it's important that you not re-enable the HotSync daemon (e.g., by re-installing Palm Desktop, or upgrading it).
    The newest version of Missing Sync 4.0.2 does not require the Palm software at all - it is now stand-alone. I recently had to test this when my G4 Titanium PB went belly up and needed to be reformatted and OS X reinstalled. After that I just installed Missing Sync and it worked great!
    Does it come bundled with the standard conduits for the Palm apps? This is the version of Missing Sync that I'm using, but I installed it on top of HotSync, so I'm not sure...
    I have a question similar to the initial question in the this thread. I intend to buy Missing Sync and would like to avoid installing the Palm Desktop software (which, of course, includes the Hotsync Manager app) altogether. The Treocentral review of Missing Syc strongly suggests not installing the Palm Desktop software either before or after installing Missing Sync. The problem is that it appears Apple requires Palm Desktop to be installed before my Powerbook will allow me to install the (free) iSync Palm conduit. The install wizard for the conduit specifically requires Palm Desktop software to exist on the Powerbook. Is there any way I can avoid installing the Palm sofware (which is on the CD that came with the Treo 650)? One alternative would be to install Missing Sync and the try again to install the iSync conduit....maybe having Missing Sync installed would satisfy the conduit installer? Doubtful, I know.
    Any advice would be very much appreciated. If I do in fact have to install the Plam Desktop software, what is the best order for installation of the following programs: Palm Desktop, Missing Sync, and the iSync Palm conduit?
    Thanks for any help!

P.S. I love my Treo 650...this thing rocks!
    Last edited by mdnm2000; 01/11/2005 at 12:20 AM.
    You can install the iSync conduit AFTER you install Missing Sync. I did.
    Thanks MacJunkie, I'll give it a try. I'lll report later on whether it worked.
    One more quick Missing Sync question:
    The Mark/Space site indicates that they are at the Macworld Expo showing of version 4.0.3 which includes a new Palm OS conduit for AdvantGo synchronization as well as an iPhoto plugin. If I download version 4.0.2, which is the version currenlty available, will I be able to download this upgrade later for free? Does Mark/Space charge for upgrading to each update to Version 4 of Missing Sync?
    Thanks for any help. I'd like to pull the trigger on buying Missing Sync today but will wait for an answer to this question.
    -mdnm2000
    Quote Originally Posted by mdnm2000
    One more quick Missing Sync question:
    The Mark/Space site indicates that they are at the Macworld Expo showing of version 4.0.3 which includes a new Palm OS conduit for AdvantGo synchronization as well as an iPhoto plugin. If I download version 4.0.2, which is the version currenlty available, will I be able to download this upgrade later for free? Does Mark/Space charge for upgrading to each update to Version 4 of Missing Sync?
    Thanks for any help. I'd like to pull the trigger on buying Missing Sync today but will wait for an answer to this question.
    -mdnm2000
    All minor updates (4.0.x) are free. So, if you purchase today, you will get 4.0.3 free which includes the updated iPhoto plugin and AvantGo conduit.

--
    Scott Gruby
    Lead Engineer, Missing Sync for Palm OS
    Mark/Space, Inc.
    Scott, I'm anticipating my Minimac arrival on the 22nd (first Mac since my IIFX/OS7), and will be picking up Missing Sync to go along with it and my T650. My question is, will the iTunes integration allow AutoFill to work with the Treo's SD card, or is this an iPod only feature?

Thanks!

Chris
    Are there any plans to truly support memos in Missing Sync? Right now categories are ignored which makes it fairless useless. Problems with memos were also listed in MacWorld review.
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo
    Are there any plans to truly support memos in Missing Sync? Right now categories are ignored which makes it fairless useless. Problems with memos were also listed in MacWorld review.
    I'm sure they will fix this if they can.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    I am a new user of the Treo 650 but after reading all of the above I removed all of the Palm Desktop-Hot Sync Mgr include and installed the d/l version of MissingSync. I am now able to sync via Bluetooth with my AlPB-17". I was not able to sync with the HotSync Mgr. I had already downloaded and installed the Apple Isync conduit and did not have to reinstall over the MissingSync. This is great except as a brand new Treo user I was getting used to the Palm Desktop.
    Don Smith