1.    #1  
    My "Silver Screen" launcher application worked flawlessly on my Treo 600, however not the case on the Treo 650.

I have done all of the trouble shooting I can do. As everyone knows the 650 is prone to having a few more crashes than the 600. After a crash or even after I perform a soft reset some of the application icons no longer match some of the applications. This icon mismatching only appears in "Silver Screen" the stock palm launcher shows the correct icons. This problem can also occur if an aplication is added or deleted.

The only fix seems to be to delete the following files and then recategorize all of the icons (which becomes tedious):

SilverDB-tric
    mediacat
    mediaicons

I know that most people seem to use ZLauncher and LauncherX, but if you are using "Silver Screen" with your 650 can you tell me if you are experiencing this problem?
    Last edited by CraigG65; 01/09/2005 at 08:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigG65
    My "Silver Screen" launcher application worked flawlessly on my Treo 600, however not the case on the Treo 650.

I have done all of the trouble shooting I can do. As everyone knows the 650 is prone to having a few more crashes than the 600 http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...s/rolleyes.gif . After a crash or even after I perform a soft reset some of the application icons no longer match some of the applications. This icon mismatching only appears in "Silver Screen" the stock palm launcher shows the correct icons. This problem can also occur if an aplication is added or deleted.

The only fix seems to be to delete the following files and then recategorize all of the icons (which becomes tedious):

SilverDB-tric
    mediacat
    mediaicons

I know that most people seem to use ZLauncher and LauncherX, but if you are using "Silver Screen" with your 650 can you tell me if you are experiencing this problem?
    Wish I could tell you I had a solution. I too tried SS on my Treo 650 after finding Launcher X would not work well with the Treo 650... The lack of a few features kept me from using SS with my Treo 650.

I think you can be sure that Pocket Sensei will release a version that works with the Treo 650. They are a long time Palm Developer and have steadily released newer versions as hardware has changed.

Good Luck and here's hoping they fix up SS real soon for ya.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Haven't tried Silver Screen in a long time, but I used to use Launcher X (and before that Launcher III) on my last 3 palms, but on my Treo 650 I think ZLauncher is the best. I didn't like it much when I first tried it but when I realized how customizable it is, I changed things around and now it's exactly what I want. So if you haven't tried ZLauncher in a while, it might be worth a go on your 650.
    I use Silver Screen, and experience exactly problem you describe. Plus, application icons regularly seem to be shuffled to the "unfiled" category... I thought I was going crazy, at first!!

If I knew for certain other launchers did everything Silver Screen did, were easy to set up, and had absolutely no problems with the 650, I would switch. But, it seems like the other two popular launchers are either a bit complicated, or have their own set of problems with the 650. I hope the SS people fix this problem soon. It is one of a series of minor 650 annoyances I have learned to work around. It is an awesome phone, with huge amounts of capability, but is a bit buggy with 3rd party software...
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)

I have done all of the trouble shooting I can do. As everyone knows the 650 is prone to having a few more crashes than the 600 http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...s/rolleyes.gif . After a crash or even after I perform a soft reset some of the application icons no longer match some of the applications. This icon mismatching only appears in "Silver Screen" the stock palm launcher shows the correct icons. This problem can also occur if an aplication is added or deleted.

SilverDB-tric
    mediacat
    mediaicons

I too experience this problem, although usually opening the drop down menu, exiting SS, and then relaunching it fixes the problem most of the time. No biggie. It can get annoying at times though.
    Incidentally, I sent an email to PocketSensei on this problem nearly two weeks ago, and have yet to receive any reply. Not even a "we'll fix it when we get around to it." Are they still in business?
    I have used SIlver Screen since my Handspring Visor Deluxe but after a few issues on the 600 and major issues on the 650 I switched to Zlauncher. It is awsome. Its cheaper and takes up less room on the palm.

I have emailed Silver Screen over the last year and have never gotten a reply back.
    They havent really made a major change to SS in years.

Try Zlauncher you will not regret it.
    As an ex longtime SilverScreen user, I switched to ZLauncher for the same reasons. ZLauncher is clearly better than SS.
    My wife and I have been a SS users since v1 on a PDQ and a 6035. Yes, it can be erratic with icons. On my 600, it gave no problems and on our 650s, no issues. However, there are a few things we don't do with SS. I don't move apps from the internal memory to the card and vice versa, especially if those apps have a database. For that, we use PowerRun. SS can get a bit confused if an app is moved to the card by it and moved back to the internal memory by another app. For app deletion, I use Uninstall followed by Filez.

Other than that, SS has been working with no issues on our 650's so far.
    Ibrahim B.

Kyo PDQ - Kyo 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo -650 (2) & now the Palm Pre. Will keep my BB World Phone Sprint
    Silverscreen has updated its software. No more icon issues! Yea!
    Any link to this update??

I went to there website and palmgear and no treo650 update .
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 02/10/2005 at 08:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson
    Silverscreen has updated its software. No more icon issues! Yea!
    Figures! I just paid the registration fee for zLauncher not more than 6 hours ago (after trying it for a few days)! Oh well, zLauncher seems to be faster and look better than SilverScreen (with the right theme), is certainly more customizable, uses less memory, and costs less. I just wish I could have saved my registration fee for Silverscreen. I do admit SS is a bit more "turnkey" to set up in the first place, which is what has kept me away from ZL in the past (its setup complexity).
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by danjb
    Figures! I just paid the registration fee for zLauncher not more than 6 hours ago (after trying it for a few days)! Oh well, zLauncher seems to be faster and look better than SilverScreen (with the right theme), is certainly more customizable, uses less memory, and costs less. I just wish I could have saved my registration fee for Silverscreen. I do admit SS is a bit more "turnkey" to set up in the first place, which is what has kept me away from ZL in the past (its setup complexity).
    Ha that is funny. I was so frustrated with Silver Screen lack of response to my emails that 3 weeks ago I too switched to zLauncher.

After many hours of tweaking and themeing I now LOVE zLauncher more than Silver Screen. The sad part for SS is that a little customer service would have held me in forever.
    As I stated earlier they have not responded to an email from me for over a year and there program has not been updated in quite some time. They still have 3.3.2 on there website and palmgear which does not work perfect with the treo 650 and was buggy for me with the 600. I love Zlauncher . and if you have a 650 you realize that you dont have alot of room in ram and SS takes up way to much and ZL takes up half the room. and comes with a SD card launcher and there version of FIlez meaning you can delete filez and a program like power run and move programs to SD and launch from then SD card and SS is $25 and ZL is $17 . Silver screenis is probaly one of the worst launchers out there and thats a shame because when I had my Visor they were the best.