1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I've been struggling with whether to get an iPod or similar dedicated device and have decided that for various reasons I'd like to consolidate everything with my Treo 600, which at the moment is used for nothing but phone conversations, as a PDA.net wireless modem, and for real-time email, calendar, and MS Office document access via Good Technology's software.

Searches of various threads suggest that PocketTunes is the software to go with. However, I still have several choices to make surrounding software, hardware, and accessories, so I thought I'd post my questions here:

1. Can anyone recommend the most reliable headphones that can be used for music playback and conversations? There are many available, but few reviews online. I am sure that this community's personal experience is better than any review, anyway.
    2. Do users recommend a 1GB or 2 GB SD card? I am sure I can get by on 1 GB, but 2 GB could only be better, assuming that 2 GB is compatible with the Treo.
    3. Is there an alternative to PocketTunes that can play SHN or FLAC files? I listen to a lot of live music in these formats.
    4. Are there recommended vendors that sell SD cards and headphones? I want to minimize shipping, maximize, rebates, etc.

Many, many thanks.

Dave

www.davedonohue.com
    HI Dave,
    I just jumped right in with PocketTunes, the Lexar 1G card ($73 from eCost), and the Seidio 2-in-1 over-the-ear stereo headset ($37 from TreoCentral). The Seidio headset works very well; the microphone is excellent and picks up my voice very well. The sound quality of the headphones was good but not "perfect audofile" - I'm not sure whether it is the headphones, or PocketTunes, or the hardware, or the sound compression (I was using 64kps wma format). I had to balance the volume level on the headset and on the Treo exactly; if either one was set too high then the sound became distorted. I was able to minimize this by adjusting the bass on the equalizer. I'm quite happy with the result.

If you do not want to commit to the cost quite yet, you might want to consider a 500mb card; they are going for around $26 these days.

Incidentally, when I placed the order for my headset from TreoCentral, at checkout I was given an option to purchase one of the neoprene carry cases for $5. It was an excellent deal as this is a good way to carry the phone when you are running and listening to music.

Hope this helps!
  3.    #3  
    Enthios,

It does indeed, and I thank you. The point you raise about balancing the volume level between the headset and the phone is a good one. Did you find that you had to set the level differently on the phone then again for conversations?

Would you mind telling me the model # of the headphones you got? There are several available from that manufacturer now. I'll also def. get the carrying case; thanks for pointing that out.

I have a 256MB card that I'll keep for app/data backup but I will likely get a 2GB SD card only because it means more music...though I have to make sure it works with the 600.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by enthios
    HI Dave,
    I just jumped right in with PocketTunes, the Lexar 1G card ($73 from eCost), and the Seidio 2-in-1 over-the-ear stereo headset ($37 from TreoCentral). The Seidio headset works very well; the microphone is excellent and picks up my voice very well. The sound quality of the headphones was good but not "perfect audofile" - I'm not sure whether it is the headphones, or PocketTunes, or the hardware, or the sound compression (I was using 64kps wma format). I had to balance the volume level on the headset and on the Treo exactly; if either one was set too high then the sound became distorted. I was able to minimize this by adjusting the bass on the equalizer. I'm quite happy with the result.

If you do not want to commit to the cost quite yet, you might want to consider a 500mb card; they are going for around $26 these days.

Incidentally, when I placed the order for my headset from TreoCentral, at checkout I was given an option to purchase one of the neoprene carry cases for $5. It was an excellent deal as this is a good way to carry the phone when you are running and listening to music.

Hope this helps!
    The 2Gb will work, no issues. Seidio's website is:
    www.seidioonline.com
    and I would recommend getting the card separately from the headphones - no one vendor is going to have the best prices on both products, at a single website.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    The 2Gb will work, no issues. Seidio's website is:
    www.seidioonline.com
    and I would recommend getting the card separately from the headphones - no one vendor is going to have the best prices on both products, at a single website.
    nrosser,

Thanks for confirming the 2GB card info. Do you have one yet? If so, may I ask where you got it? I don't mind paying a few bucks more from a vendor that is either recommended or benefits the Treo community.
    If you get the latest version of PocketTunes it will support WMA files.
    I just ended up converting 500MB's of MP3's to WMA's to save space. Used a Radioshack converter so I can use a pair of in-ear headphones. Have a Seidio 2-in-1 adapter coming in later.
    The Treo really is a great unified device for phone, contacts, email, web (basic), office (docs to go) and now audio and video.

I have ptunes with a 1 gb card too, with audio and movies.

Still, the iPod is a lot easier to use (and the new 'Shuttle' is close in price, if you consider the cost of ptunes, headphones, SD card).

Doing all this stuff on our Treo is really geared to us Geeks!