1.    #1  
    I get email on my Sprint BC personal edition account when I hit the little SYNC button - am I impatient? I thought I would be notified when it is pushed to my 650....

Also - has anyone tried to put the desktop program on two machines? I want to share an ever changing folder from my laptop but keep the "always on" aspect of my desktop at home, is this possible?

Thanks!
    If you're using an IMAP host, you might try ChatterEmail for "push" email...

Marc
    Yeah, it pushes, but there is a slight delay between when you get the message on your desktop and when it shows up on your treo. I haven't really tested it, but it seems to take about 2 to 4 minutes for new emails to show up on the treo (unless you do a manual sync on the treo).

I wonder, is there a setting to configure how frequently bizconnect pushes new emails?

For the sharing, I would set up a share on the desktop, and use a replication tool to copy the changes from the laptop to the desktop on a regular interval. I don't think you can use BC with two separate machines.
  4.    #4  
    mblank - If I have two POP3 accounts and I want to bring them into my Treo via Fastmail, how "fast" is it, and if I reply to a message will it show as fastmail or my email?

Treo Monkey - Thanks for the help, I may just do that if I chatter does not work as I imagine...
    People who do this could answer, but I've heard it's a matter of seconds. In ChatterEmail, you can set up different sending "profiles", which appear (in the from and reply-to) to come from whatever address you specify. Of course, a look at complete headers would show which smtp server sent the message...

Marc
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_monkey
    I wonder, is there a setting to configure how frequently bizconnect pushes new emails?
    There's no such thing as adjusting the "frequency" of pushing. Push is push.... it's either on or off. Push means that BC will only retrieve email when it's "told" it has new email. (via an SMS message) So in other words, if you don't receive any new emails for 2 weeks - then BC will not be syncing during those 2 weeks.

Polling, however, can be adjusted. I think from once every 15 minutes to as long as once every 4 hours.

As an aside, I use both BC and Chatter. (BC for work email, Chatter for personal email) I'd probably use Chatter for both if I could, but that would mean I'd have to be running VPN software on my Treo (which I don't really want to do), plus my IT department would have to open up our Exchange server for IMAP, which they really don't want to do. BC is nice because it lets you get around all of that, provided you keep your work PC running at all times.

I've found the delivery time for push email on BC to generally be quite fast. (usually less than 3 minutes) Chatter, however, is lightning fast. Usually less than 10 seconds.
  7.    #7  
    I just setup Chatter and using fastmail to foward my Comcast and Work account to an IMAP server. Your right, it is AMAZING how fast it is...however I can not get the SMTP to work, I get a sending error the server said (little box shown) 500 failed authentication.

EDIT - I just used my home email SMTP server and had the reply to go to my work address, so it looks like it is coming from my work address....IT ROCKS! Thanks, CHATTER is great and man is it fast.
    Last edited by markyoung04; 01/09/2005 at 10:46 PM. Reason: update
    Anybody got a working link to Fastmail or another like email provider?

Thanks
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Thanks Marc,

Question, will the free version of Fastmail do what is needed to run Chatter and Comcast?

Choices:
    Guest: FREE 7+ chars 10M 40M/month Fast web interface, IMAP, retrieve external POP/HotMail email, no commercial use

Member $14.95 one time 5+ chars 16M 80M/month Guest + SMTP, forwarding, no taglines, virus protection, personalities, commercial use

Full $19.95 per year 4+ chars 600M 300M/month Member + POP access, advanced spam protection, aliases, email support

Enhanced $39.95 per year 3+ chars 2000M 1000M/month Full + own domain hosting, priority support, almost unlimited personalities, POP/Hotmail links, etc

-GM
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  11.    #11  
    GeekyMom:
    I am using the free version. I get a lot of email every day, so I limit it to just work email, with Agendus Mail taking care of non-important home email. Free version works great, just remember to log on to your fastmail account every once and a while to purge it (actually it serves as a good temp backup of your email since you forward a copy of every email to it, too bad I get over 60 a day...fills up too fast). I came close to my bandwidth limit last month, so I may pay for the Member service....

Sorry - yes, just go under member services and choose forwarding options - then check yes to both boxes (foward email and keep a copy), then put your fastmail email address in the space and you are rockin'.
    I wish I had a dime for every dime I have
    FWIW, I would go for at least the Member services; it's a one-time charge, adds a lot more space and bandwidth, and provides SMTP services.

Marc
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markyoung04
    I get email on my Sprint BC personal edition account when I hit the little SYNC button - am I impatient? I thought I would be notified when it is pushed to my 650....

Also - has anyone tried to put the desktop program on two machines? I want to share an ever changing folder from my laptop but keep the "always on" aspect of my desktop at home, is this possible?

Thanks!
    Do you have the checkbox in BC set to "Push messages to my device?" I really call that an SMS-triggered pull, but close enough.

As for the timing of pushes, I think there is a limit on how many times new email will get pushed within a certain time span. In other words, to preserve my battery, I only want email pushed to my device a maximum of once every 15 minutes. On a busy workday, I can wear out my battery with all of the pushes. I am a beta tester for Seven, so I explained that a user-configurable push limiter would be nice to preserve battery or to become even more sensitive to new inbound messages.

The real problem is that Seven/BC is inefficient because of the way it reconciles changes between inbox and phone. From what I understand, it has to scan the ENTIRE mailbox for any new messages and then somehow send the new ones across, rather than flagging just the new ones directly. I guess it takes more time and processing power and that's why the debate rages on and Blackberry keeps doing well with their more efficient way of managing to send only new emails across the wire.

There are people who can explain this better than I, but the net of it is that BC is great but imperfect. I suspect that OEM solutions such as ActiveSync for Exchange may really be threatening companies like Good and Seven who make their bread and butter off email connectivity. If a company like Microsoft can bundle this and make it "Fisher-Price" easy for Joe the non-techie guy, that will give these startups a run for their money at the very least.