Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm sure that this has been covered, somewhere, here before - but I can't find anything with the search. What does everyone think is the best RSS client for the 600 (650 as soon as Cingular gets it)? I tried mNews from MotionApps, but I really don't like the idea of having to request updates for news - I really would like it pushed Chatter style!

Dunc
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc
    I'm sure that this has been covered, somewhere, here before - but I can't find anything with the search. What does everyone think is the best RSS client for the 600 (650 as soon as Cingular gets it)? I tried mNews from MotionApps, but I really don't like the idea of having to request updates for news - I really would like it pushed Chatter style!

Dunc
    The only two worth a hoot IMO are mNews and HandRSS...of course this is just my opinon, but I have tried all the ones I could find on PalmGear and Handango...

The jury is still out on RSS feeds for me, I dunno....I think I would rather just go to a website and read there...

Good Luck finding the one you like...
    What about Sunrise.? I haven't tried it out, but it looks decent as has good reviews.
  4.    #4  
    I like mNews, it largely fits the bill - but when I want news I want it waiting for me. I don't want to have to tell it to refresh - isn't there an RSS client that does that?

Maybe I should try to do this on my server side - gather the news / rss feeds, mail it to an IMAP box on my machine and then hit it with Chatter...

Dunc
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    What about Sunrise.? I haven't tried it out, but it looks decent as has good reviews.
    Sunrise is actually not the program that runs the RSS on the Treo. It is the program that gathers the RSS feeds on the PC and then puts them into a format for a program (to HotSync) called Plucker that runs on the Treo/Palm.

I didn't mention it because it is not directly aimed at the Treo in that you can't use Plucker (nor Sunrise as its PC software) to go online with the Treo to get RSS feeds live.

Neat for someone with a Palm, but not as cool for a Treo owner that can go live any time they want...

I agree with you Dunc, mNews is the nicer of the two (mNews and HandRSS)....

The reason I dropped mNews off of my Treo is that I was forever hopping out of mNews to my browser as I would hit the link to read more....heck if I am going to use blazer, then I will just use blazer...

You could use MacroPlay to set up a macro to fetch the feeds every 20 mins or so, that way you would always have them fresh for your reading pleasure. I haven't tried it to see if it is Treo 650 compatable...let me know

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=50562
    Last edited by mattyparanoid; 01/09/2005 at 06:04 AM.
    Thanks for the information. I'd actually perhaps prefer and offline reader that I can sync via the Treo if I'd like to update something.

I installed AvantGo for the first time since I sold my IIIc a few days ago and was amazed at how bloated it had become. So finding an offline reader that just strips out the pertinent text, with the ability to update while on the go as well is probably something I'd find useful.
    I really like my Hand/RSS, but then again I was already an RSS junkie before I had my my first Treo, so I didn't need convincing about that.
    I like Hand/RSS mainly because you can read through all the downloaded content while holding the Treo with one hand. It's also very stable, has some nice font size options and it's pretty fast. I have about 25 feeds in it. I would like to see support for large feeds (currently it maxes out at 64K) and support for pictures, but I am not sure how active its development is.

I haven't tried mNews though, will take a look at it.
    I've started using Bloglines.com. It's not as customizable as other RSS readers I've used on the desktop but for Treo viewing (http://www.bloglines.com/mobile) I think it's pretty good not only that it's free.
    I actually think the offline reading is the biggest advantage to Hand/RSS and similar readers. I usually update right after I arrive in my office. While I check voicemails on my office phone and settle in, my Treo is gathering feeds which I can then read instantly whenever I have a minute. I just wish they updated this app more often.
    Does Hand/RSS (or any others) have a conduit to do the updating during sync rather than connecting directly through the Treo?
    Don't know about others, but Hand/RSS doesn't. At least not that I have noticed in the year I have been using it.
    Hand/RSS does have a mac Desktop sync conduit, but it's buggy. Not sure about windows.

I'm finding Hand/RSS of limited use. Only some of my feeds update during a desktop sync. They all update fine from the handheld, but this is not ideal.

When I asked the author about it, he essentially said "live with it - we know it's a bug and we're working on it for the next update."

The good news is there is a free 30 trial.
    Quote Originally Posted by iJay
    I've started using Bloglines.com. It's not as customizable as other RSS readers I've used on the desktop but for Treo viewing (http://www.bloglines.com/mobile) I think it's pretty good not only that it's free.
    I'm an avid Bloglines user, and I have the unlimited Verizon plan, so this is absolutely perfect for me. Thanks so much for listing it - I have no idea how I missed it.

I tried the other programs listed and found them all to be wanting. This will suffice for the meantime until someone comes up with a better app.
    everything was beautiful and nobody hurt.
    This may be a little off topic, but can anyone explain to me what would be the advantage of using bloglines versus a regular offline rss reader? I am not sure what bloglines is supposed to do. Is it just a web-based aggregator?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Anyone tried QuickNews - the successor to HandRSS? I just installed it on my 650 but it keeps causing soft resets when updating. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    QuickNews causes resets and an occational reset loop. I contacted ben@standalone.com who was very helpful. He sent me several updates with fixes to some ot the problems. Give him a shout.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Ok... So with the advent of Podcasting, I've found new reason to carry my iPod Photo instead of my shuffle... Now, I'm curious about reading RSS feeds from my Treo. The best two options that I've heard so far are:

1. Bloglines Mobile - not as customizable, but web-based so you can use it from anywhere and know where you left off, supports graphics, cannot batch download (must be connected... aka "click and wait" approach)

2. QuickNews - customizable, no graphics, not synchronized with desktop experience, does not support graphics, but can batch download at timed intervals.

When I'm away from a computer, I think it's handy to be able to pull up an RSS feed without having to click on a link and wait for it to load.. Especially when it can be automated so you don't have to wait for the RSS feeds to batch download.. but it's annoying to not have even a small snapshot when reading articles.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Best rgeards,

kjohn
    I use RSSfwd to forward the feeds to my email address. It sends the feeds every two hours. I don't check that often, so it feels like they're being pushed to my Chatter mailbox. Rmail does the same thing, sending every hour but only one feed per site, per hour. My thought is why install another program when Chatter does what I want already.

A cool feature of the RSSfwd site is a listing of what sites others are having forwarded, ranked by popularity.
    Been using latest build of Quicknews and found it to be pretty nice. Very easy to download podcasts etc and overall stable app...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Like gfunk, I've been using QuickNews for quite a while, since it was Hand/RSS. I've found the developer to be quite responsive when I had problems and enjoy it's flexibility and customization capabilities.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast