Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Any hope for forced roaming on the 650?
    DJ
    I had a pot going to get this on the Treo 600. It reached over $500 and was unsuccessful. I hope someone can do this for the 650 though! :-)
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
    Quote Originally Posted by modma
    I had a pot going to get this on the Treo 600. It reached over $500 and was unsuccessful. I hope someone can do this for the 650 though! :-)
    What??? The 600 is easy... ##cdma or ##pcs to select networks... ##dual to return to normal... But they took it out of the 650 it appears...
  4.    #4  
    Shadowmite,
    Any chance to add it back in?
    DJ
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    What??? The 600 is easy... ##cdma or ##pcs to select networks... ##dual to return to normal... But they took it out of the 650 it appears...

?? How do I enter the alpha characters? My first thought was that these represent the number keys on the phone pad, e.g. ##2362. But typing those and hitting dial seems to do nothing at all. I still show "sprint" at the top of the phone app.

You can't use the alpha keys on the keyboard to enter the 'M'. Only the number keys are valid. So how do I do this?

Thanks,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    You had it right, the numbers on the screen dialpad... It appears to do nothing, but then look at the ##debug screen... It should change from 1900 to 800 or viceversa.

Now truthfully, I only did this with a verizon hacked 600. But I believe it should work for either the sprint, or the verizon hacked one. Unless the PRL is overriding it... In which case the 650 might have these commands still and we just have to hack the prl a bit...
    Just tried the codes. I suppose ##CDMA forces roaming on Verizon and ##PCS forces Sprint? All I could get with ##debug is either CDMA 1900 or sleep. never CDMA 900. In phone mode it's always on Sprint, couldn't force it to roam.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    I've been watching the line "Rx, Tx, Tx Adj" on ##debug screens on the 600 and 650.

On my 600, the Tx parameter (transmit power) pretty much stays constant at -45 in a 1 bar signal area- doesn't matter if the data arrows are gray or green. However, on my 650, when the arrows are gray, Tx is -464 (in a 1 bar signal area). It only drops down to around -45 when the arrows are green. I am wondering if the better battery life on the 650 is due in part to this better RF power control algorithm?
    If we figure this out, we may solve another problem. Some folks have been reporting that they cannot dial out reliably while roaming. I'm one of them. After living with this a bit, I think I know why. When I'm having this problem, I am in a good Verizon area, and a very marginal Sprint area. I think the phone is trying to use Sprint, even when the signal level is flickering (-105 dBm and less). In a very marginal area, a momemtary "flicker" of Sprint, during dialing, causes the phone to switch to Sprint, then fail. I can see this happening on the debug screen if I watch a bit. Areas where there is no Sprint, just Verizon, would roam successfully.

If I could force roaming, I think that all would be well. Shadowmite, if you see a way to do this, it would be much appreciated.

proteus
    Quote Originally Posted by Proteus
    If we figure this out, we may solve another problem. Some folks have been reporting that they cannot dial out reliably while roaming. I'm one of them. After living with this a bit, I think I know why. When I'm having this problem, I am in a good Verizon area, and a very marginal Sprint area. I think the phone is trying to use Sprint, even when the signal level is flickering (-105 dBm and less). In a very marginal area, a momemtary "flicker" of Sprint, during dialing, causes the phone to switch to Sprint, then fail. I can see this happening on the debug screen if I watch a bit. Areas where there is no Sprint, just Verizon, would roam successfully.

If I could force roaming, I think that all would be well. Shadowmite, if you see a way to do this, it would be much appreciated.

proteus
    Good info.
    Hmm, it looks like the phone does support a service mode selection of Automatic, cdma, pcs, some other standard ones, and a unknown one that all 650's are set to... I wonder if they crippled this purposely... Let me play with it...
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    Just tried the codes. I suppose ##CDMA forces roaming on Verizon and ##PCS forces Sprint? All I could get with ##debug is either CDMA 1900 or sleep. never CDMA 900. In phone mode it's always on Sprint, couldn't force it to roam.
    I tried all three combinations, and ##debug always shows sleep,25. What's that mean?

Thanks,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I'm not sure what sleep means. Try watching it for a bit and the sleep will change momentarily to 1900 if you're on Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I tried all three combinations, and ##debug always shows sleep,25. What's that mean?

Thanks,
    Well I just verified the 600 definitely works as I said if using the verizon PRL... So I think somehow the sprint prl is overriding the commands to change bands. The question is what change is made... I'm going to do some compares and see what I can find...
    I do seem to remember having a Sprint phone (a Samsung flip phone of some kind) a couple of years ago that was gave on option to just roam. At least at that time, SPCS allowed that...
    Thanks to Shadowmite for looking at this. Four calls to Sprint and one to my local store did no good at all. From what I can see, there are about four different threads runnning about this on Treocentral, and one over at PDAPhoneHome, so certainly it's a real problem for some (like me ...).

I can see the "sleep" in the debug screen too. Last time I looked at this, I'd get transitions from CDMA 800 at -75 dBm, to CDMA 1900 at -105 dBM, and sometimes an occasional "sleep" message. I was interpreting the "sleep" to be a transitional state, resulting when the 1900 Mhz barged in, and then was lost. It never lasted but a moment, and then I would get the 800 Mhz for quite a while. My believe, however, is that the flicker causes you to loose the outgoing dialing. I noticed that if you receive a call when roaming, it seems to stay locked as roaming (I was not moving at the time, so the phone had no reason to change towers). Maybe the phone locks up a tower when the connection is complete, so it is only vulnerble when dialing ...
    stupid question. how do I get to the debug screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    stupid question. how do I get to the debug screen?
    Dial ##33284# (##DEBUG#) on the dial pad
    Cool! Thanks. Hope you guys can figger out the roaming problem. I have to roam a lot and will be very upset if this one can't be solved. I haven't been able to try it roaming yet, however.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Don't really want to revive a 2 year old thread, but wondered if Shadowmite figured out anything. Now that I can read current SD cards on my Sprint Treo 650, all that's missing is forced roaming to make me happy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast