1.    #1  
    Last time I used "dial-up-networking" was back in 1996 before the days of cable modems. What is everyone using it for on the Treo 650? Am I missing out on something good?

EDIT: BTW, I did search but I still don't understand.

thanks,
    Dave
    When your traveling... u can use your phone as a modem for your laptop, basically. Now bluetooth let's you do it wirelessly.
  3.    #3  
    ahh, I C. Thanks for the info. hmmm, this may come in handy
    I should add that Sprint charges about $65 a month to access their data network via PCMCIA card, but with DUN, I can connect my Treo to my laptop and connect via my $15 a month unlimited data plan. I know, it is probably violating Sprint's rules, but the general consensus here is that they haven't been enforcing it.
    Ok, so someone tell me the comparative speed between DUN and dial up. About the same? I would think DUN via blutooth would be slower even than dial up.
    I know someone who's paying $89 a month for a pci based wireless dialup. We tested both of ours on DSL Reports and I got the faster up and downstream speeds. The plan I got gives me vision for free.
    I can use the DUN feature, but it is terribly SLOW. At least where I live.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by GMSchiller
    Ok, so someone tell me the comparative speed between DUN and dial up. About the same? I would think DUN via blutooth would be slower even than dial up.
    Sprint's Vision DUN is about twice as fast as dialup.
    theoretically, you get up to 145kbps, dial up is about 53kbps. speed depends on coverage and if you are moving or stationary. i consistantly get speeds of 50-60kbps, and usually higher. i have downloaded files while on the train at 12kBps, which is around 120kb. so i'd say its great. if i'm somewhere that only has dial up, id rather use dun.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helevitia
    Last time I used "dial-up-networking" was back in 1996 before the days of cable modems. What is everyone using it for on the Treo 650? Am I missing out on something good?

EDIT: BTW, I did search but I still don't understand.

thanks,
    Dave
    my favorite thing to do with DUN with my Treo 300 was connect it to my laptop in the car and play a streaming audio station off the internet on the laptop, and then connect the audio out through the casette adapter to my car stereo

Now we can do that with the Treo 650 without a laptop...

But whenever you're away from home, in a hotel, in your car, in your train, it's really easy to go online and check your e-mail.
    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Sprint TP-3000 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by CySurflex

But whenever you're away from home, in a hotel, in your car, in your train, it's really easy to go online and check your e-mail.
    why not just check your email on your treo?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    why not just check your email on your treo?
    To get to my work e-mail I use a VPN client that is not supported on a palm device yet...but also it allows me to fully work on the laptop as if I was online, using all the online tools I'm used to...
    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Sprint TP-3000 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650