Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I have been going to MacWorld for over 10 years now. Perhaps more than 10, and I haven't missed one. I think the shrinking show is a reflection of the Mac marketplace which is shrinking, but very focus fewer products that are profitable. Apple was smart to get out of making printers and few other products that had lower profit margins. It's a niche market with enough devotees like myself and you to support it. I will always have a top of the line Mac in my home. Apple has blazed the way and continues to be the premiere technology innovator in the PC market. Starting with their acquisition and development of a GUI (from Xerox), the mouse, first PDAs, DTP, networked PCs, first PC animation (MacRenderman), eWorld (which was bought and set the ground work for American Online), the one-piece computer, iPod, iTunes, chain stores and IEEE firewire. The one Apple technology that I am closest to is firewire. I remember seeing firewire in its infancy. I was at a MWSF about perhaps 10+ years ago and am Apple developer was showing it in this really remote area in a tiny both. No one was paying any attention to it. The developer was twiddling his thumbs and I stopped and spoke with him for like 45 minutes. I may even have the original documentation for it. This was an Apple project that paid off big time. I have also been around to see some of Apple's many failures. But they could not have innovated without those failures. At the end of the day, all the doom sayers have had to admit. Apple is a great American company.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    Well, I wouldn't call it amazing, I would call it "troubling" actually. They fit everything in the South hall becaise of how small the show is this year. Even smaller than last year's, which was the smallest ot date. And even though the show is smaller, the Apple booth is the largest I've ever seen (and I go to all these shows because, well, it's my job). I was talking to another show veteran I met at the show and he thinks there can't possibly be another Macworld is they keep shrinking like this. I disagree.

Lots of iPod, or iPod-related stuff, which is actually the most interesting to me personally. Some nice sofware but nothing really groundbreaking, just the same people with new versions, but overall, in comparison to thel last 2 or 3 Macworlds, this is the one where OS X has looked the best as a platform. All the apps from all companies look solid, and very identifiably OSX-like.

Tiger is looking just incredible - check out the spotlight and automator demos around the apple booth, they're really incredible. Dashboard is also looking great, very clever and well though out collection of gizmos, even better than Konfabulator itself.

Also, make sure to check the icombi booth, it's a small japanese company with a humble booth near the back, they make a line of Bluetooth audio headphones/headsets. These will be my next Bluetooth purchase when they come out in March. Check them out and see.
    Apple is absolutely, positively one of the greatest american companies in history... but they didn't invent all those things. Some, yes, but not all - the mouse, the PDA, networking and Renderman, for example, were not Apple inventions at all. Apple is just really, REALLY, good at making people think they invented everything. Hell, I've met people who assured me Apple invented LCDs, 3.5 floppies and 8-bit sound. They took them from someone else, modified them and then marketed them better than anyone else in the world could, to the point of becoming a cult to a lot of people. I don't subscribe to the cult, to be honest. I just want to see good products, that's all. Apple has some very good ones these days, and I think it will stay that way for a few more years.

Now if only they could figure out a way to expand their computer marketshare...
    MW may be shrinking every year, but from afar it seems as though the impact keeps growing. In the day or two preceding the keynote there were speculative stories all over the mainstream press. Then after the Keynote again, stories everywhere. Even an editorial in today's NYT about the new Apple products. What electronics manufacturer in the world can spur an NYT Editorial?! Seems really amazing to me how every January (and the occasional July) Apple gets thousands of inches of free advertising.. again, not just from industry rags but all the mainstream press.

Whaddaya think?
    -mbd26
    Oh sure, Apple can get press for pretty much anything, that's never been a problem of theirs - it IS Apple after all... I mean, Jobs has been on the cover of Time and Newsweek how many times? They're a bonafide american dream legend (remember Forrest Gump?) They're on a positive streak right now, but there were also years when every move garnered negative press (The Gil Amelio era for example).

Problem is, Apple is practically the only company making real money in the Mac industry. For example, Apple's tendency to cannibalize any good product that comes out on the Mac, usually by simply making their own bundled version of what used to be 3rd party. Another example, the iPod is a completely Apple business: they're the only ones making real money on it, so, Apple gets bigger and bigger in relation to its own internal market, just like the show itself: The Apple booth keeps getting larger while the rest of the show shrinks. And, well, that's not good for the Mac itself, it just makes Apple a big bully in its own small sandbox.
    Apple is absolutely, positively one of the greatest american companies in history... but they didn't invent all those things. Some, yes, but not all - the mouse, the PDA, networking and Renderman, for example, were not Apple inventions at all. Apple is just really, REALLY, good at making people think they invented everything. Hell, I've met people who assured me Apple invented LCDs, 3.5 floppies and 8-bit sound. They took them from someone else, modified them and then marketed them better than anyone else in the world could, to the point of becoming a cult to a lot of people.
    I agree with you here, but there is no denying that they were the first to develop and these were never even mentioned yet the first personal computer , SCSI, plug-and-play (Microsoft still hasn't perfected this why do you need drivers for USB devices???), QuickTime (realtime audio & video and the like), integrated telephony (hardware and software - just trying to keep it related to TreoCentral )...

This list goes on and on (primarily because they were completely independent and they could just do whatever they wanted without worrying about compatibility) and then there are other firsts for Apple too, like the first to enter into obscure and unheard of business partnerships like that of Apple, Motorola and IBM 14, 15 years ago or something like that. The whole world was awaken on that one.

But most recently, they have really relied on what they do best, they look at the industry, take a product and really make it great.

I don't subscribe to the cult, to be honest. I just want to see good products, that's all. Apple has some very good ones these days, and I think it will stay that way for a few more years.

I don't know if you have paid any attention to the last several quarters but Apple IS expanding their computer market share! This last quarter, the PC industry as a whole was seen growing 10% but the Macintosh share has grown 26%. That is a higher growth than anyone else; which in turn, does away with the 95% Windoze, 3% Macintosh, 2% Other (Linux) that have been thrown around for 10 years.

Personally, I would rather Apple kept their percentage lower to avoid the trappings that come with larger companies.
    Problem is, Apple is practically the only company making real money in the Mac industry.
    Where do you come up with this stuff. Once again, I guess I am stepping into the shoes that you gave me. (a Mac-centric guy).

Entire companies have been formed to make money off the iPod. To skip to another market, one that you are interested in, look at Elgato (catering to the Mac community exclusively) or ATI and their media products,
    ...or how about Macromedia. About 2 or 3 years ago, the majority of their sales and profits (51%) were from the Macintosh platform. Think about that; look at the percentage of Windows users and ask yourself how this is possible (because I myself do not entirely know what to make of this, but the numbers are their).

The numbers for the last couple of years are not that high any more but are still respectable. In fact, Apple sales helped save this company from the grips of Microsoft (threatened by ColdFusion, and also wanting a shortcut to get Flash-like technology for themselves).
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Where do you come up with this stuff. Once again, I guess I am stepping into the shoes that you gave me. (a Mac-centric guy).

Entire companies have been formed to make money off the iPod. To skip to another market, one that you are interested in, look at Elgato (catering to the Mac community exclusively) or ATI and their media products,
    ...or how about Macromedia.
    Heh. Well, I should probably tell you that I work in the content creation software industry (meaning, my company produces end-user software for making graphics, both Mac and PC), so I know inside people in many companies. Macromedia is 3 blocks away from my office, and I know a lot of people there.
    I said "real money", not just chump change, in corporate terms. You say entire companies have been created around the ipod... they mostly sell trinkets. There are are literally hundreds of companies selling the same little FM transmitters, similar iPod skins and bags, similar adapters and holders, etc. It's mostly cheap stuff, and a lot of it is the same Taiwanese product, some of them taking the trouble to make them in white molded plastic so the iPod fans will buy it without too much thinking. I am sure the owners will make ok money, but they will certainly not be making the kind of money you need to build a real company. The only companies offering such products that are that well equipped are companies that *already* existed and aready had a business going for similar products, such as Belkin, MacAlly, Griffin or even JBL.

And it's funny you mention ATI... their Mac products are speck in the ocean in terms of significance for them, same with nvidia. They want to dominate every platform, but trust me, the Mac market is peanuts to them, literally, and Apple has no allegiance to either manufacturer either.

Macromedia, well.. if they're making such a killing in the Mac market, why didn't they have a booth in a show happening barely 10 blocks from their headquarters? ... because they are most definitely not selling as well as you believe. They are looking for anything that will make them relevant in the corporate space, but this is nothing that really applies to the Mac directly, it's a Powerpoint/Microsoft/PC thing, all the way. Flash, Director and all that stuff is still important to them, but it's a static market these days, not expanding fast enough.

ElGato... they look like really nice guys, and look very together to be honest, but only time will tell. As far as I know they are a pretty young company, and I remember lots of similar companies in the past making a strong showing with a seemingly great product idea one year and then slowly fading away. I don't wish this on them at all, but I would be surprised if they make tons of money with their nice products.

Also, you haven't been to the show. A VERY large percentage of the booths are accessories or related industries, not really Mac products, such as the multitude of companies selling bags, backpacks, holders, CD burning stations, etc., Cameras (both Canon and Nikon are there), printing (HP, Brother), Audio (JBL, Harman Kardon), and so on - products that are not even remotely Mac-only, it's just another tiny niche in their massive radar.

Part of the problem is also the number of companies that are simply unwilling to get into potentially direct competition with Apple itself, a battle that simply cannot we won.

So, I'm not spelling Apple doom, but Apple is the only big company making big money there... or *almost* the only one, I guess you can count Adobe in and maybe a handful of other companies.
    The answer to that question is simple. I mean this genuinely. Simply, "add a keyboard and monitor to the iPod." Of course you know that would mean adding OS X to the iPod and minaturizing USB, video monitor output and firewire, power connectors. That's all simple to if they use fiber optics or the next/new Bluetooth protocol due later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    The answer to that question is simple. I mean this genuinely. Simply, "add a keyboard and monitor to the iPod." Of course you know that would mean adding OS X to the iPod and minaturizing USB, video monitor output and firewire, power connectors. That's all simple to if they use fiber optics or the next/new Bluetooth protocol due later this year.
    I chuckled when I first read that, but then I realized you were serious--and potentially correct. Isn't the "future" of computing something you always carry around with you? Does this give Apple a beachead in this new arena (along with Palm and Microsoft). Interesting.
    I thought it was understood that this is infact what they were doing.

The Mac mini is cheaper than an iPod photo:
    $499 compared to $599

Same kind of plug-ins as an iPod along with its dock or Airport Express:
    Firewire, USB, Ethernet, Audio, VGA

The packaging for the Mac mini is actually smaller than that of the iPod:
    it's all in the psychological presentation

Oh, and it has the same design cues:
    http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/macmini_all1.jpg
    And you know how the iPod has thousands of add on accessories...

that's what is coming for the Mac mini as well; I gurantee it.
    Here's to hoping the Mac Mini will help expand the Mac market. </cheers>
    It's got to be a bonus that many people can just disconnect their PC towers and replace them with a beautiful piece of technology like the Mac Mini.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    If you reread my post you'll find that I said these 2 areas are growing and expanding into each. The growth and the merging really exploded when Apple invented Firewire 6 years ago.

Why do we have to "imagine" your scenerio. You can take $100 of your price tag right now and just substitute iFlicks for iMedia nd you basically got what you are looking for maybe add an EyeTV device if you want.
    I mentioned iFlicks as a possibility for NSINSINSI's needs of a Mac media center, but I just realized that some company (???) shut them down the Monday of Macworld. In going to their website, they have an explanation, here is bit of it:

Unfortunately, at this time, we cannot provide further details as to why we have made the decision to halt distribution of iFlicks. As soon as we are aware of further details which we can make public, we will post the information to this page. If you are concerned or otherwise interested, just periodically check back to the iFlicks web site.

In addition, my .Mac service will be temporary off line this weekend for upgrades and whatever. I don't know if it sensible to think that these 2 incidences are in any way connected (assuming Apple is the company that halted iFlicks until their release of whatever), but I suppose a person could really go out on a limb and suggest that the .Mac service will be a place to sync and access ripped DVDs in the future (but this just doesn't seem right). Or, MAYBE down the road, after Tiger is released Apple could introduce another iLife type application that gives access to HD content (possibly like NetFlix).

Also interesting is the legal suit that Apple is filing against people who have revealed trade secrets involving a breakout box, which is about the size of the Mac mini. Maybe it will be one of the first accesories for this new iPod err... I mean Mac. It could potentially provide all sorts of connections... you know, like a "breakout box". And maybe another specialized processor for those connections. And this is another reason why I pulled from my previous post: to bring up the issue of Firewire again. This will be the all important link of these 2 boxes if it comes to materialize. And then you will be able to play your DVDs of CDs taking advantage of surround sound schemes and 24 channels and true high fidelity and... blah, blah, blah.
    See this article for more insight:

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050120.html
    Heh. Here's a message for Cringely: Uh, Duh.
    Nothing gets past this guy huh, figuring out that Apple wants to eventually channel video and movies through iTMS. Heheh. No kidding, Sherlock.

What really puzzles me is how placid MacHeads are about that though, most think this just peachy news and find it cool and amusing. To me it sounds like a DRM horror story, the continuation of what is already the scariest control scheme out there (iT+iTMS+iPod), something that would elicit whole governments and interest groups to loudly protest and start planning massive lawsuits if it was being done by Microsoft.
    Oh well, reality distortion field indeed.
    To me it sounds like a DRM horror story, the continuation of what is already the scariest control scheme out there (iT+iTMS+iPod), something that would elicit whole governments and interest groups to loudly protest and start planning massive lawsuits if it was being done by Microsoft.
    The fact that MS is a monopoly changes the rules of the game. Apple is not a monopoly.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    The fact that MS is a monopoly changes the rules of the game. Apple is not a monopoly.
    I think that's circular logic - It's hard to argue that Apple is not a monopoly, or that Microsoft is still one in the tactical sense.
    Microsoft is considered a monopoly because of size, and it most defintiely was a wildly monopolistic organization at one time, but right now there's a lot of people out there taking care that they aren't, by using all sorts of legal and software tools, which is something that *should* be done. Apple has far more monopolistic practices, except no one seems to care because, well, Apple is very small in comparison, and they're cool, right?... but that's talking about the PC business, which they are mathematically unable to conquer. Let's now talk about DAPs. Apple has 85% of the market right now. That will grow even more, I think (i'm betting my Apple stock on it). That 85% is almost completely locked to iTMS, which is a bi-directional lock between it and the iPod. Apple is adamant about not letting ANYONE into that chain, and breaking any third parties with every update to both iPod and iTunes. Apple is now obviously taking steps to make iTMS work with other media, and eventually could become the dominant official electronic media distribution system in the world (if it isn't already, depends how you measure it)... all of it locked to whatever device they choose. Who's the monopoly now?
    Heh. Here's a message for Cringely: Uh, Duh.
    Nothing gets past this guy huh, figuring out that Apple wants to eventually channel video and movies through iTMS. Heheh. No kidding, Sherlock.
    I am inclined to agree. He seems pretty anal though to presume he knows what Apple is going to do and to presume what is best for Apple. He did get one thing right. Apple needs to sell hardware to make moneyDUHHHH!!!

*****! (stupid Cringely)

What really puzzles me is how placid MacHeads are about that though, most think this just peachy news and find it cool and amusing. To me it sounds like a DRM horror story, the continuation of what is already the scariest control scheme out there (iT+iTMS+iPod), something that would elicit whole governments and interest groups to loudly protest and start planning massive lawsuits if it was being done by Microsoft.
    I can't believe your saying this. I know you just think I am a complaent "Mac-head" but Apple has the most liberal DRM of anyone. Really flexible in copying to different media, you can use it on more computer stations than any other DRM, easiest to manage (in just about every aspect I can think of) and can be copied to unlimited numbers of all the iPods.

Look at Microsofts convoluted crap. In some cases you can only listen or view material on just one machine. That's it just that one PC. And what's really confusing is there are som many iterations, it has to be difficult for the users to know which end is up. Don't need to mention it but it is not as flexible as Apple's.
    I think that's circular logic - It's hard to argue that Apple is not a monopoly, or that Microsoft is still one in the tactical sense.
    Microsoft is considered a monopoly because of size, and it most defintiely was a wildly monopolistic organization at one time, but right now there's a lot of people out there taking care that they aren't, by using all sorts of legal and software tools, which is something that *should* be done. Apple has far more monopolistic practices, except no one seems to care because, well, Apple is very small in comparison, and they're cool, right?... but that's talking about the PC business, which they are mathematically unable to conquer. Let's now talk about DAPs. Apple has 85% of the market right now. That will grow even more, I think (i'm betting my Apple stock on it). That 85% is almost completely locked to iTMS, which is a bi-directional lock between it and the iPod.
    This isn't true. You can use more formats on the iPod AND within iTunes than any other solution. and this includes the Windows Media format.

Apple is adamant about not letting ANYONE into that chain, and breaking any third parties with every update to both iPod and iTunes.
    But what Real Software continued to do to Apple over the course of 2.5+ years was illegal and immoral.

Apple is now obviously taking steps to make iTMS work with other media, and eventually could become the dominant official electronic media distribution system in the world (if it isn't already, depends how you measure it)... all of it locked to whatever device they choose. Who's the monopoly now?
    Like I said before, you can burn anything you want and then play it anywhere you want.

This is all moot anyway because people have choice, whereas Microsoft put people in a position where they did not have choice.
    Archie, you're so deep in the Apple lake that you can't begin to understand how your comments are not only factually wrong, but missing the point completely. Unfortunately I think I'm wasting my time trying to have a conversation with you about this.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast