Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been having a consistent problem with Documents to Go crashing on my Treo 650.

I installed from the CD that came with the Treo and upgraded to 7.03 or whatever the most recent version is, and also ran the updater. It will work fine for a while, but then at some point when closing out a document, it will crash and continue to crash any time I try to open a document. When I checked the error message most recently, it said that Word to Go caused a Fatal Exception. On prior instances, I think it may have been more detailed than that.

I have tried totally uninstalling, using the Dataviz tool, and reinstalling from scratch. The problem still comes back.

Any ideas? I have seen other Docs to Go problems discussed here, but it seems they haven't been quite as persistent as this.

Thanks.
    Is it with any doc or a certain one (or type) of doc?

I had this when I tried to open a power point doc, I deleted the doc and haven't tried that type since.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I've had a very similiar experience. I have resorted to keeping a copy of the install files on my sd card. When things go bad I use the dataviz tool to delete the install and reinstall by copying over the install files.
  4.    #4  
    These were word documents. I have them installed on my SD card.
    list what you have install. Like windows, palm OS might have issue with other software that could cause it to lock up or crash. There is never a crash free software.
    Another thought -

How much free space do you have
    in your
    Applications - All - memokey - info
    screen? Is there a relationship or
    correlation between stabitity vs
    crashing and free memory?
    The next time you get the crash
    try moving some programs off
    your device onto an SD card and
    see if this makes the problem go
    away. (I'm on a T600, but I think
    the general principle of lack of
    memory causing applications to
    crash still applies. Even if this
    doesn't solve your problem, at
    least it will rule out a possible
    cause.)

posted from my Treo,
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I have the same problem. Not sure when it started. as Docs to Go used to work for me. Now it crashes every time I try to open a document. I tried upgrading to the latest version. That didn't help. Also moved files back & forth between card & handheld using tech tool. Still, no luck. Have you tried DTG tech support?
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf
    I have been having a consistent problem with Documents to Go crashing on my Treo 650.

I installed from the CD that came with the Treo and upgraded to 7.03 or whatever the most recent version is, and also ran the updater. It will work fine for a while, but then at some point when closing out a document, it will crash and continue to crash any time I try to open a document. When I checked the error message most recently, it said that Word to Go caused a Fatal Exception. On prior instances, I think it may have been more detailed than that.

I have tried totally uninstalling, using the Dataviz tool, and reinstalling from scratch. The problem still comes back.

Any ideas? I have seen other Docs to Go problems discussed here, but it seems they haven't been quite as persistent as this.

Thanks.
    I've had the same problem. I've even tried saving the Docs To Go files on my card and doing a hard reset on the phone. When I did a hotsync again (to get it back on my treo), it still crashed every time I tried to open any files I had created - even creating a NEW file.
    Having to hard reset just to use DTG is not acceptable, and not worth it to me. I only had problems with DTG at the end of their trial when launching DTG soft resets all my Palm devices.

If you have problem with a fully licensed DTG you should be able to use it w/o crashing, and save and access doc on the SD card.

btw, I used QuickOffice in the past on my Palm devices with good success. I liked it better than DTG because it used and saved native MS docs. If you save to SD then memory is not a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    I only had problems with DTG at the end of their trial when launching DTG soft resets all my Palm devices.

This is the case on the 650? Because it causes a soft reset but does nothing about telling me, "Hey, your trial is expired."

So basically, is DTG fully licensed when Hotsync puts it on the 650? If not, and the soft reset is a result of the trial issue, then that's a bunch of crap and it should handle more gracefully than that. As a software programmer I would expect more.
    An update on this : Docs To Go is fully licensed.

Also, I managed to fix the problem although I don't really know exactly how it fixed it. Here's what I did: I deleted the contents of my backup folder on my PC. I then did a hard reset on my 650, and then hotsync'ed it.

Went to Docs To Go, and it worked. Hopefully this helps anyone who has this problem. I honestly don't think you need to do the hard reset, just delete the contents of your backup folder and I think you'll be fine. However if that doesn't work, trust the hard reset.
    I can't say why uninstall/reinstall didn't resolve the problem.

But, when I've had this problem I've found that just deleting the PREFERENCES file (using the DataViz tech tool) was enough to make the problem go away.

I've reported this to DataViz but they don't find that to be enlightening enough to fix the problem.

Anyway, it's been a good work-around for me.

Regards,
    ChickenHawk
    Quote Originally Posted by Balcom
    This is the case on the 650? Because it causes a soft reset but does nothing about telling me, "Hey, your trial is expired."

So basically, is DTG fully licensed when Hotsync puts it on the 650? If not, and the soft reset is a result of the trial issue, then that's a bunch of crap and it should handle more gracefully than that. As a software programmer I would expect more.
    I don't think DTG that comes with the T650 is a trial version. It is 7.0, but not the premium version.

And yes, if you have a trial DTG on any palm device DTG will crash your device if you continue to try to launch it after the trial expires. You will only see the invitation to upgrade if you view your hotsync log.
    Hi ChickenHawk,

Thanks for the suggestion. I was having the same problem. My 650 would crash every time I would try to open a document in DTG. It would also crash during the clean-up portion of every hot sync. After the hot sync crash, ##377 would say that Word to Go crashed. I tried your suggestion and used the DataViz tool to delete the preferences file. You need to select "advanced" to get to the screen that will let you do that. Things are working fine again since I deleted the preferences file.

Thanks!

Joe
    It is my experience that DTG is much more stable when run from the device, not from the SD card. I know that this solution is not optimal since it eats away the precious RAM. However, I still have about 10mb left and everything works just fine.
    I'm not sure about using the Dataviz tech tool referenced in this thread, but judging from the "uninstall" and "hard reset" instructions on their website, it sounds severe. I found that my problem of persistent resets went away when I used FileZ to delete every DTXG preference in the "saved" and "unsaved" portion of the system. (What would we do without FileZ??!?!!??) Apparently all of the preferences needed to run the Documents app are able to recreate themselves and, best of all, the resets go away! What I'm not sure about is whether or not a HotSync brings those corrupt preferences back but, if so, maybe setting the handheld to overwrite the desktop will fix that. Hope that helps!
    I had the same problem!

I called Datz and they walked me through a delete with a appl to fix some data. Then through the re-install.

Everything worked correctly after that.

Call them, they know about the problem and will help you. There tech support was great.

Robert
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHawk
    I can't say why uninstall/reinstall didn't resolve the problem.

But, when I've had this problem I've found that just deleting the PREFERENCES file (using the DataViz tech tool) was enough to make the problem go away.

I've reported this to DataViz but they don't find that to be enlightening enough to fix the problem.

Anyway, it's been a good work-around for me.

Regards,
    ChickenHawk
    Brilliant! Thanks, ChickenHawk. I consistently had this problem with Sheet To Go. Soft reset anytime I tried to open a spreadsheet. DataViz's "solution" is way too much hassle, but this did the trick nicely. I probably would have figured it out eventually, but I forgot about the "Advanced" option in the DataViz Tech Tool.

I'm surprised the DataViz solution doesn't have you try this first. They point out that it's a problem with the Preferences DB, they provide a tool to delete the Preferences DB, but they don't put 2 and 2 together. Neither did I, but I'm just a loser user. They work on this stuff for a living.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdonough
    I'm not sure about using the Dataviz tech tool referenced in this thread, but judging from the "uninstall" and "hard reset" instructions on their website, it sounds severe. I found that my problem of persistent resets went away when I used FileZ to delete every DTXG preference in the "saved" and "unsaved" portion of the system. (What would we do without FileZ??!?!!??) Apparently all of the preferences needed to run the Documents app are able to recreate themselves and, best of all, the resets go away! What I'm not sure about is whether or not a HotSync brings those corrupt preferences back but, if so, maybe setting the handheld to overwrite the desktop will fix that. Hope that helps!
    I had the same exact problem. I load up a Word/Excel doc, upon exiting the unit resets. I went to the DataViz website and used their support page to run the utility and rebuild the PreferencesDB. This worked great, for a few days then the problem was back. I got frustrated with this and went back to QuickOffice(http://www.cesinc.com). No problems at all!

I would have preferred to use DTG, it has a much better UI and much faster doc. conversion. However, the stability problems didn't make it worth the time and effort for me. I have a little more info. about my experiences on my website, you can read about it from the link below if interested...
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    My Treo resets everytime I click an email link in a Word document. I've sent of a tech support question on this but haven't heard back yet. It's very consistent. It's a good reset though. Just click an email link and it resets.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast