Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    T/C

This message is to everyone who is familiar with Mapopolis and uses
    TOM TOM. I have a T650 with mapopolis platinum/navigator. I
    want to consider switching to Tom Tom since I have read all of
    the good reviews, and I need to buy a bluetooth GPS, but the question I have is:

Can the Tom Tom maps run from your SD card versus on the T650's
    limited storage? The reason I ask is I have a 1 gigbyte sd card from
    Compusa for $70.00 and I loaded most of the state of Kalyfornia (as the
    Governator says it) and if I cant run the Tomo Tom maps from the
    SD card then I dont really see the use of the program since we have
    so limited use of memory on the T650.

So everyones thoughts would be great!

Thanks,

Mark
    The Helen Keller of Treo Central
    Yes, the TomTom maps definately run from the SD Card. No issues. Only a small stub file needs to be in main memory. The maps by region are pretty large (like 250 MB or so). TomTom is far superior to Mapopolis. You won't regret the decision.
    To add to this, while both mapopolis and tomtom allow you to store the maps on the SD card, mapopolis copies the map to RAM when you run it, so you need to leave space for the maps. TomTom works directly off the card, so you don't need to have that much space. I haven't used Mapopolis on the T650, but TomTom is very very cool....
    A few map sizes:

Major roads of the US takes up about 64 megs.

Regional map of the northeast, from Maine to NJ, including NY, but not PA is 128 megs. That's a lot of map for 128 megs.

I've used both Mapopolis and Tomtom. There is no comparison.
    Great, I can't wait to check out Tomtom. Mapopolis is absolutely worthless on a Treo 650 b/c of instability and inability to use it to find destinations. It has a rare quality of appearing simplistic yet confusing despite its limited abilities. Kudos for having a pretty good demo policy though. Usually when you use gps, you're in a pinch and it needs to come through. Mapopolis fails that test for me, so I'd never spend my money on it. There are plenty of happy campers, with mapopolis, but just not 650 users. My experience with mapopolis leaves me hesitant to pluck down money upfront for the Tomtom package without a test drive first, but of course I don't think that is an option with Tomtom.
    Mapopolis doesn't even work right on my Treo. All of the buttons on the bottom are blank, the 3d view is poor, I just don't care for it. I guess for now I will use Cetusgps. That software is awesome. Its free and you can convert the tracking data to your pc. If you use expert gps, it will draw your wapoints and routes over a satellite image (map).
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue
    Great, I can't wait to check out Tomtom. Mapopolis is absolutely worthless on a Treo 650 b/c of instability and inability to use it to find destinations. It has a rare quality of appearing simplistic yet confusing despite its limited abilities. Kudos for having a pretty good demo policy though. Usually when you use gps, you're in a pinch and it needs to come through. Mapopolis fails that test for me, so I'd never spend my money on it. There are plenty of happy campers, with mapopolis, but just not 650 users. My experience with mapopolis leaves me hesitant to pluck down money upfront for the Tomtom package without a test drive first, but of course I don't think that is an option with Tomtom.
    I have Mapopolis running on a demo Treo 650, and it works just fine. Destination searching works fine, no instability issues. I've used Mapopolis on a Tungsten T3 for over a year now, and moving to the 650 didn't introduce any new issues for me. I did need an update from the vendor, but that seems to be true of most apps on the 650, including TomTom.

Could you give more precise details of what you mean by "instability and inability to use it to find destinations"?
    You need to get a patch from Mapopolis. Send a note to support@mapopolis.com. Display (3D and 2D) looks fine once you install the patch.