Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/article.php/3456181

One often-heard gripe about palmOne's Treo series of smartphones is the lack of integrated 802.11b wireless or a way to add the feature -- even palmOne itself hasn't released a Treo driver yet for its own Wi-Fi enabled Secure Digital card.

Enfora, a company known for products that bring wireless functions to a variety of computing products including PDA and smartphones, announced the first way to bring Wi-Fi to the new Treo 650 and even the older Treo 600 -- industry pundits never thought that would happen -- at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this week.

The vendor will release two sleds, one for each Treo model, as they use different connectors. Each sled contains its own internal battery for up to three hours of use and five days of standby time. And you can purportedly employ Wi-Fi and cellular wireless connections simultaneously.

The Treo 600 sled should ship on February 1, while the Treo 650 is slated to arrive a month later
    Niiice, that outta make my Treo 650 nice and fat! Exactly what I wanted for Christmas!

Wait, Christmas is over? Oh yeah, and I don't want my Treo nice and fat!

Thanks but no thanks....not that desperate for Wi-Fi.

Edit: The Hunchback
    Last edited by Geckotek; 01/08/2005 at 08:33 AM.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I agree. I had a 'sled' for an iPaq and I hated it. The extra battery is nice, but I love the Treo's size as it is now. I agree with you Geckotek.
    lovely - great news, now I'm definitively in for the 650
    wi-fi and the ability to get to the bottom of snowy hills really fast. All in one unit!! this is amazing. these will sell like hotcakes in the northern states for sure.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    A WiFi sled is nothing more than a step backwards for the Treo 650. Come on... there is already a WiFi SD card out there. Why would you buy a Three in one device if you are going to have to carry a sled for WiFi. NO SENSE AT ALL...!! Maybe if we were in 2002.

Al
    The sled may "sound" impractical, but for all intents and purposes, it will meet a need that is currently lacking in the Treo.

To think that so many are screaming for wi-fi and now that is just about possible, people are saying...."dont want it?"
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Do you think this thing will come with separate software (i.e., drivers) that can help Shadowmite come up with a wifi hack for the 600 (with wifi sd card), or do you think it will just be plug your Treo in and use it?
    Here are some pics of the sled in question:
    http://www.phonemag.com/index.php/we...00_wi_fi_dock/

Kinda bulky IMHO.

tc
    That sled is not to bad. I mean common, folks complain with no wifi......complain if someone tries to find a solution....can't win for loosing! I guess if you do not like it, don't buy it. But for some, its an option in a pinch!
    Law school is a 3 year exersize in mind control--Thomas Newcomb

N400(P.O.S. )-->S.E. T608-->Treo 650-->moto rzr-->xv6700-->pn-820 but I really miss my Treo!!
    The sled has one advantage over a SD card - you don't have to remove your memory card to use WiFi. With the 650's short memory problem that forces you to install a lot to storage card, that is fairly important IMO.

Also, the title of this thread is a bit misleading - WiFi isn't here yet The sled for the 650 is almost two months away - assuming they release it on time. Unless Shadowmite and company can figure out a way to get WiFi working without hard resetting, it's going to be a good wait still.
    I just saw the pictures of the side view of the Treo with the dock. It's defintely not something you would keep on the Treo at all times.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Whoppy! -- IMHO, I never understood the desire for wi-fi on the T650. To each their own, I guess.
    I'm normally a huge fan of wi-fi for the Treo, but not at the price of this sled. It's no longer a Treo with this attached. It's some sort of Franken-Treo.

Is it a step backwards as acajigas claims? I don't think ever giving people a choice of something extra (as long as it doesn't do harm) is a bad thing. It's not necessarily for me, but it might be for someone, and now they can have it and be happier than they were before.

Me, I suppose I'll just keep hoping for ShadowMite to make it more usable or wait for the Treo 750.
    I just came back from CES and held a treo 600 with this new wi-fi sled.... meh. I want wi-fi, but not that bad. I promptly walked over to other PalmOne rep's and bashed them some more for no sd wi-fi for my 650.
    Wow that is just stupid! I was so excited but it look ridiculous and doubles the size of the phone. Even if Palm gets their current card working, it lacks RAM which makes it virtually useless. We don't just need a Wi-Fi card, but one with 256MB minimum. While this sled would allow any size SD card, why don't they just make a sled without the batter so the Treo wouldn't get much bigger and a person could choose that if they don't mind the battery drain. My Treo spends more than 75% of the time in a charging dock anyway so it wouldn't be an issue for me.
    Can we get around the low onboard memory by slapping a yellow post it pad on the back of the sled?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    Can we get around the low onboard memory by slapping a yellow post it pad on the back of the sled?
    I think it would get wet in the snow.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    you know, it would be nice if this company would add bluetooth into this sled. i would assume it would be possible for serial bluetooth communication by connecting the connector port and headphones and headsets could be supported by integrating the headphone jack. Maybe even configure the onboard battery so that it charges the treo.
    I don't understand wifi totally, but my university haves a wireless network. When I asked admin the if I can connet to the network using a palm device he said the palm doesn't support PEAP authentication.

http://www2.auckland.ac.nz/wireless/palm.htm

Is this the case with other wifi hotspots such as in starbucks and airports? Cost of GPRS use if fairly expensive here in New Zealand (cost $10 per MB), but in university it only cost $0.07 per MB.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast