1.    #1  
    I'm so upset right now. My treo has been letting me down big time. Tonight, while driving and the treo connected to the car charger, it performed a hard reset by itself... randomly, unprompt!
    All my data lost..I hadn't even synced it for the week.

Why would that happen? Tech support at tmobile had no clue, i dont know either..i would hate for this to happen again...I need to figure out the problem.

Any advice?
    Blessed beyond measure!
    Any new third party apps you've installed recently?

(by the way..get a backup app)
  3.    #3  
    Well someone synced me a matrix screensaver and another program...but i wasn't using the program at the time...I do remember trying to do a treo update from the tmobile website and something funny was going on while that was syncing. I think my treo froze and I had to end up doing a soft reset. I'm not sure if that would be the problem though.
    Blessed beyond measure!
    Did u do the ## to find out what caused the reset? I can't recall what code at the moment but i'm sure someone will chime in.
    Treo Moblog: http://nudle.textamerica.com
    uhm, ##377 for CDMA or #*377 / *#377 for GSM, I don't remember which for tmobile but one of the two GSM codes will do it.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

##377 won't tell you anything after a hard reset
    On Verizon, it's #*#377.
    the codes do not work after a hard reset
  9.    #9  
    u are very right dutch ... after the hard reset there is no way of telling what program caused the error
    Blessed beyond measure!
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    This happened to me a couple of times---after you use the charger for a few months of daily use, the ends of the connector can become worn and small pieces of the plastic break off. If you don't connect the cord to the phone *JUST RIGHT* there can be a short and the Treo will do a hard reset, unfortunately.

There are a couple of things you can do here-- get a new charger, or more cheaply, you can simply connect the cable to the Treo FIRST before the charger is plugged into the cigarette lighter. The hard reset definately WON'T HAPPEN if there is no juice when you plug the Treo in.

Hope that helps.
    phildro has nailed it. The same thing has happened to me with an auto charger also.
    I'm gonna agree with the last two and say it's the connector. I had a retractable USB charge-cable and it started doing the same thing. Replaced it with a better model and no problems.
    Last edited by daThomas; 01/08/2005 at 08:03 PM. Reason: spelling
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    What auto charger do you recommend to avoid the problem?
    Wow, this is creepy. Thank goodness I have a 256Mb card and BackupMan that runs everynight at 10pm. I have noticee that my car charger plug is getting harder and harder to remove from the Treo. I have to hold in the two side buttons and sort of gently rock it side to side to get it to come out. OYE...
    My sync cable (not car charger) doesnt stay well at all. On the right side, it doesn't "snap" in to the Treo, so it slides in and out. Fortunately the only problem it has caused is communication loss during sync.

PS: "I hadn't even synced it for the week"? I would sync more often than that and also do a scheduled back-up to memory card as suggested above. Hardware issues are easier to swallow than data loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Llynx
    Wow, this is creepy. Thank goodness I have a 256Mb card and BackupMan that runs everynight at 10pm. I have noticee that my car charger plug is getting harder and harder to remove from the Treo. I have to hold in the two side buttons and sort of gently rock it side to side to get it to come out. OYE...

Believe me when I say, its better to have one thats a little harder to get out than one that slides out very easily or on its own.

Each time I've had a charger (home/auto) do crappy things, I just take it back to the SPCS store and exchange it for another one.

One tech told me that the ends of the charger becoming loose will happen more times than not.
    Last edited by scandalex; 01/09/2005 at 12:49 AM.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    This especially happens with third party chargers designed to work with the Treo 300. Got a OEM PalmOne charger and it never happened again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowza
    This especially happens with third party chargers designed to work with the Treo 300. Got a OEM PalmOne charger and it never happened again.
    that's strange. never happened to me once. i am using a third party charger. it works perfect!
  19.    #19  
    You are all right on point. I originally bought the car charger when i had the treo 270, and I thought it would've worked perfectly with the 600. Atleast it had been for the few months I've had the 600.
    Some of the pieces on the end of the connector has broken off as well. So I guess I have my solution right there.
    (Oh and I installed a backup program)

Thanks guys!!
    Blessed beyond measure!