Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For those considering the Treo 650, it's not a tenth as bad as some on this board would have you believe. I've been using my Treo 650 intensively over the last 5 days. So far, there is ONLY ONE legitimate bug I can agree with --- the 3 second delay when clicking a contact to dial. And even that is really just a display annoyance that I can live with until Palm1 provides a fix. It doesn't actually take any longer to make a call than other phones.

It seems that the problems others are having is caused by:

* Upgrading rather than reinstalling apps and contacts. If you have an older Treo, export your contacts and other info from Palm Desktop to a safe location, then remove the Palm software and Palm user files completely from your computer. And make sure any older software you plan to use is compatible with the 650.

I exported my contacts and other info from my old Treo to a backup location on my computer, and then I imported them and did a fresh install of apps for the 650 using the included CD. So far I've had no memory problems, not a single crash, no sluggishness. P1 should publicly recommend doing a fresh install.

* Dissatisfaction with Sprint customer service. I don't really understand this one...how is it the Treo 650's fault if Sprint has lousy CS? My experience with Sprint has been great so far. If you hate Sprint for whatever reason, then just wait until other carriers start selling the 650.

* Calls cutting out, bad call quality, etc. This also has to do with Sprint and where you live...I've had no problem with dropped connections or voice quality in my area. Don't blame the Treo b/c you can't get good coverage. Wait for another carrier that has better coverage in your area.

* Hotsync or memory card backups not working. I've synced probably a dozen times using missing sync on my mac and hotsync on my PC laptop...no issues here. My guess is people having hotsync problems upgraded from a 600 rather than do a fresh install. Try wiping everything and starting fresh, and be wary of third party apps that may cause problems.

* Complaints about lack of support. Although I haven't had a reason to contact support yet, I can understand the frustration. However, this is a UNIVERSAL problem in the computer industry. Once you start installing third party apps and hardware, it's outside of P1 or any one company's control to ensure everything works properly. P1 built a great device and OS, but you have to take care installing everything, one at at time, and when you begin to have a problem, you know it was due to the last thing you installed. Just like a computer. Nobody can fully support the complexity in todays computers, there are just too many variables. And a single call to support probably erases any profits they got from the sale of the device. Tell me of one manufacturer that offers better support (well, aside from Apple).

* Low rez camera. So what? Do you want a two inch optical lense sticking out the back? The camera's a nice to have; nobody buys a 650 for the camera. And it's a major improvement compared to the dreadful camera in the T600.

I also read a post that PPC is from Microsoft and therefore it will work better with Outlook, etc. Everything I've heard points the other way. Documents To Go, which comes for FREE with the 650, duplicates Microsoft apps like Word and Excel more faithfully than MS's own PPC offerings. And Sprint's BizConnect syncs with Outlook extremely well with push email...it took all of about 5 minutes to download and set it up. That MS apps will work better on a MS platform is the same silly argument that used to be made against the Mac, and now MS Office on the Mac blows away the Windows version.

Besides, try to find any favorable review of a PPC combination device similar to the Treo. They all have MAJOR shortcomings.

So what else am I missing? Did I just happen to get my Treo from a freshly patched batch, or are people really overstating the problems they're having?

Sorry for ranting, but I just read the Pos article from the noob who couldn't hotsync and thought I'd start a more positive thread. How about asking for help rather than calling a device we're all interested in a Pos?
    Last edited by treo_monkey; 01/07/2005 at 10:38 PM.
    I 2nd the motion. Very happy with the 650.
    keep in mind I love my treo 650 but.

I have had mine replaced for...

treo#1 stuck "p" key making keyboard unusable. This is not isolated as you'll find there are many here with this problem.

treo #2 faulty headset jack. Once again well documented that this is not uncommon.

treo #3 dead pixel. Not alone again.

Call quality is an issue for many ( not a coverage issue but a hardware/software issue). Mine has been aided by the patch. Bluetooth volume downright sub par. Crashing within Blazer on a virgin system is also definately a bug. If you don't believe there are bugs PM developer Jeff Gipson who has given so much time trying to work around them (or read his posts.)

Yes there are people who don't read the manual and can't figure out thing for themselves but there are issues with these phones that should have been addressed before production.

That being said I love my treo 650

Oh yeah...versamail....
    Chatter, dutchtrumpet!!! Chatter!
    Quote Originally Posted by 02flhrci
    Chatter, dutchtrumpet!!! Chatter!
    1. chatter
    a person who spends all free and paid time online talking with others who are obsessive compulsive as well..generally having no job...no life..or teeth. Living life precariously behind a keyboard..waking up to pee and see whats up online.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=chatter&r=d

Touché Dutchtrumpet. Allow me to rephrase: Chatter Email, Dutchtrumpet!!! Chatter Email!
    I agree! It seems like the majority of the threads are complaining any possible issue (I love the ones that's it's palmOne's fault with old software being incompatible), and anyone who says anything positive is unjustly defending palmOne.

If the Treo 650 was really this bad, why on earth would anyone buy one and keep it? This isn't to say it's bug free but it's really a wonderful device and in general I think palmOne did a better job on it than on the 600.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    And I have teeth. So drop it.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    keep in mind I love my treo 650 but.

I have had mine replaced for...

treo#1 stuck "p" key making keyboard unusable. This is not isolated as you'll find there are many here with this problem.

treo #2 faulty headset jack. Once again well documented that this is not uncommon.

treo #3 dead pixel. Not alone again.

Call quality is an issue for many ( not a coverage issue but a hardware/software issue). Mine has been aided by the patch. Bluetooth volume downright sub par. Crashing within Blazer on a virgin system is also definately a bug. If you don't believe there are bugs PM developer Jeff Gipson who has given so much time trying to work around them (or read his posts.)

Yes there are people who don't read the manual and can't figure out thing for themselves but there are issues with these phones that should have been addressed before production.

That being said I love my treo 650

Oh yeah...versamail....
    When did you get your treo 650's? Was it from Palm1, Sprint, or another store? I wonder if the hardware issues are recently resolved or if some of us are just lucky so far. Sorry to hear about the hardware issues, and I completely understand that there are bugs, but for someone new reading these posts, they'd think the thing would fall apart and self combust after 5 minutes.

I do remember having lots of replacements when I had the Treo 180 and 270 b/c of broken lids, then after about the 3rd time I got a good 270 that had the T-Mobile logo on it. I had it over a year and still it works like a charm. Maybe they're at that point now with the T650.
    Quote Originally Posted by 02flhrci
    Touché Dutchtrumpet. Allow me to rephrase: Chatter Email, Dutchtrumpet!!! Chatter Email!
    Ha...chatter rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_monkey
    When did you get your treo 650's? Was it from Palm1, Sprint, or another store? I wonder if the hardware issues are recently resolved or if some of us are just lucky so far. Sorry to hear about the hardware issues, and I completely understand that there are bugs, but for someone new reading these posts, they'd think the thing would fall apart and self combust after 5 minutes.

I do remember having lots of replacements when I had the Treo 180 and 270 b/c of broken lids, then after about the 3rd time I got a good 270 that had the T-Mobile logo on it. I had it over a year and still it works like a charm. Maybe they're at that point now with the T650.
    My latest is rock solid. Hopefully they have more consistent builds now. Got them from sprint.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet

Oh yeah...versamail....
    I agree! I have my Gmail, Yaho and .Mac accounts all sync'd via Versamail. It rocks. That in addition to Sprint BizConnect connected to Outlook at work .. I could probably go 95% of my day without a computer, at least for email.

Verichat is also great. I use MSN, AIM, and Yahoo IM, and it's incredible having them all integrated in a form that I can take with me. I do on-site support, and it's incredibly useful when I need to ask a quick question while standing in a data center somewhere.
    I agree with the title of the thread. This is a great device and the problems reported haven't slowed me down at all and I'm doing all sorta of crazy stuff with it.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I agree! It seems like the majority of the threads are complaining any possible issue (I love the ones that's it's palmOne's fault with old software being incompatible), and anyone who says anything positive is unjustly defending palmOne.

If the Treo 650 was really this bad, why on earth would anyone buy one and keep it? This isn't to say it's bug free but it's really a wonderful device and in general I think palmOne did a better job on it than on the 600.
    I think it's human nature. You don't hear from them when everything is going fine. But when something breaks, it's everyone's fault but their own.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S
    I agree with the title of the thread. This is a great device and the problems reported haven't slowed me down at all and I'm doing all sorta of crazy stuff with it.
    I'm blown away by everything it can do. It's like techno-bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_monkey
    I'm blown away by everything it can do. It's like techno-bliss.
    You should check out www.gloonet.com

some info here...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=68632

very cool!!!!
  17.    #17  
    Didn't know that was possible on the Treo! One more thing to try
    I upgraded from a 600 to a 650, and am very pleased. The screen alone sold me in the first five minutes! It is certainly worth the upgrade, especially since I got it for free from Sprint!

Having said that, the 650 definately has stability problems, primarily in its compatability with 3rd party apps. I transfered nothing from my old 600; I reinstalled every 3rd party app I own from scratch from new downloads of the latest versions. I have experienced all sorts of problems, from apps simply not working at all, to all manor of resets (during every hotsync, after calls, during backups, random times), to reset loops that required wiping my memory clean with a hard reset. Programs I've used on a variety of Palm platforms since the Pilot stopped working on the 650.

I've spent a lot of time debugging these problems, and have an acceptable level of stability now, with a few remaining annoying quirks. And, I can do some amazing things with this phone. It reminds me a little of OS/2... if you only use it as shipped out of the box, it's great, but a little vanilla. Making it work with a lot of 3rd party apps was a nightmare, but if you put in a lot of hard work and diligence, you could work wonders with it. The problem is, people expect 3rd party apps to work, and most people won't jump through hoops to make them work. That's why OS/2 isn't around any more...

A big part of Palm's appeal is its 3rd party app base. It's why I stick with Palm instead of moving to PPC... I have a big investment in apps. I think PalmOne could have done a better job on compatability testing. I for one would gladly give up the new NVFS if it meant I could use old apps like Butler w/o resets, or old conduits like Lotus Easysync, which no longer work. Moving from 600 to 650 has been much more bumpy than going from Pilot 5000 to Samsung I300, or going from I300 to Treo 600.
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by danjb
    I upgraded from a 600 to a 650, and am very pleased. The screen alone sold me in the first five minutes! It is certainly worth the upgrade, especially since I got it for free from Sprint!

Having said that, the 650 definately has stability problems, primarily in its compatability with 3rd party apps. I transfered nothing from my old 600; I reinstalled every 3rd party app I own from scratch from new downloads of the latest versions. I have experienced all sorts of problems, from apps simply not working at all, to all manor of resets (during every hotsync, after calls, during backups, random times), to reset loops that required wiping my memory clean with a hard reset. Programs I've used on a variety of Palm platforms since the Pilot stopped working on the 650.

I've spent a lot of time debugging these problems, and have an acceptable level of stability now, with a few remaining annoying quirks. And, I can do some amazing things with this phone. It reminds me a little of OS/2... if you only use it as shipped out of the box, it's great, but a little vanilla. Making it work with a lot of 3rd party apps was a nightmare, but if you put in a lot of hard work and diligence, you could work wonders with it. The problem is, people expect 3rd party apps to work, and most people won't jump through hoops to make them work. That's why OS/2 isn't around any more...

A big part of Palm's appeal is its 3rd party app base. It's why I stick with Palm instead of moving to PPC... I have a big investment in apps. I think PalmOne could have done a better job on compatability testing. I for one would gladly give up the new NVFS if it meant I could use old apps like Butler w/o resets, or old conduits like Lotus Easysync, which no longer work. Moving from 600 to 650 has been much more bumpy than going from Pilot 5000 to Samsung I300, or going from I300 to Treo 600.
    That may explain why I'm not having any issues. I upgraded from a T270, so I'm buying all new apps. Kind of reminds me of upgrading from Mac OS 9 to OS X. All the old apps worked seamlessly in that case, but I eventually replaced them all for the stability improvements. Maybe P1 understated the upgrade risks?...
    The Treo 650 is definitely NOT a POS. Expectations were just set higher then what was delivered. And given the wait period compounded with a bit of a childish exuberance, you can get a feeling of disappointment; at least in my case. I will still tryout the 650 GSM before I really make a final "judgment", but right now I feel the Treo 650 could have been a little to a lot better. It's like buying a new 2005 model car and realizing that the new car has a newer engine with fewer cylinders than your old car, a bit slower response when you press the gas, the same gas mileage, but has nicer bucket seats and is much shinier. You can't really say the new car is a POS, but I wouldn't buy a new car because it has better seats and a shinier paint job; I'm probably alone on this one.

But isn't this is a discussion about the GOOD qualities of the Treo 650? Let's say I'm a potential customer, can anyone sell me on the Treo 650? All negatives aside.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast