Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_monkey
    For those considering the Treo 650, it's not a tenth as bad as some on this board would have you believe.
    Yeah, thought I picked up on a trend earlier. Those who own the 650 are generally, very impressed. Those who don't own one hate it. Not sure how they put it through the paces, but apparently there's a way I'm not familiar with.
    I can't agree more with the person who started this thread. I have to admit the screen was the thing that sold me on this phone however it hasn't been without problems. I exchanged the first one for microphone problems and the second one for dead pixels. After exchanging for that 3rd phone I was having major second thoughts and was seriously considering the PPC6601. I then came to my senses and realized that the PPC, or any other Sprint phone for that matter, would not satisfy my needs. I have a bit of Palm apps. that are not made for PPC and the Treo's battery life, screen, and form factor is vastly superior. I understand where P1 is coming from on saying that 3rd party apps. are causing the crashes and instabilities.

As a personal example: I have a Mustang. Nothing on the car is stock as everything installed on it now is made for speed and performance. The parts are high quality but being that they are aftermarket parts, the car "hiccups" every now and then or flat out might break down especially when racing. It doesn't mean that the manufacturer of the car made a total POS, unreliable car. It's just when you start modifying it and customizing it then you are on your own and such is life. In this hobby I live by a saying I saw on a forum once, "Cheap, fast, or reliable: pick any two and live with it."
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I've got to jump in and say that I too love my new phone. I just got mine late in December and have been very happy with it. I have to admit that reading some of the problems on this board have given me moments of doubt, but my personal experience has been very good. I have been using some form of PDA for about 15 years now. The treo 650 is the first converged device I have used, and pretty much does everything that I want it to do. I now carry one very small device that acts as my PDA, phone, and handles most of the duties that my laptop used to.
    I just tried a 6601 today and returned it within about an hour. That thing is garbage! So slow, such poor sound quality, weak keyboard, dropped calls, washed out screen and more.

The 650 isn't perfect, but it's a pretty great phone compared to anything else on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob
    That thing is garbage! So slow, such poor sound quality, weak keyboard, dropped calls, washed out screen and more.
    Prepare to get FLAMED by the PPC trolls!!!!!
    I agree, but I have to say that my VersaMail is unusable. I got tired of resetting my email account every few days, and stopped using that app completely. The only thing I installed is Verichat and that app has never crashed. In fact, my only crash was a single blazer crash which I don't consider worrysome since that's 1 crash in 3-4 weeks.
    I love mine.
    I finally experienced the sound quality issue at CES. I called a friend and he couldn't understand a word I was saying. He was at the show so we exchanged phones so I could hear it. The room was noisy and it sounded like the phone was trying to cut out the noise and was just cutting up the conversation to thee point where no words were audible.
    But if that's the only limitation for this device, I'm fine with it.
    I hate mine. The lagging in calling kills the unit. I have hung up on countless people thinking I pushed the button and it just did not recongnize. Back to the 600 for me.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Since you guys seem to really like the phone, would you tell me about the battery life of it? I am comparing it to the 600 GSM phones battery life and am considering Sprint when my contract expires, but I don't want to get the CDMA phone (which uses more battery power anyways) and find that I don't have as much time away from the charger as I am accustomed to. How do you use the phone and how long does it last (talk time, standby, just playing around messaging and web browsing, bluetooth...etc)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    Since you guys seem to really like the phone, would you tell me about the battery life of it? I am comparing it to the 600 GSM phones battery life and am considering Sprint when my contract expires, but I don't want to get the CDMA phone (which uses more battery power anyways) and find that I don't have as much time away from the charger as I am accustomed to. How do you use the phone and how long does it last (talk time, standby, just playing around messaging and web browsing, bluetooth...etc)?
    I have the Sprint version and the battery life is awesome. In the morning at 8AM I obviously start with a full battery. My typical usage is about 3 hours of MP3 playing, 2 constant hours of web surfing, about 1.5 hours of talking on the phone, approx. 30 minutes of games, 2 bluetooth hotsyncs, and maybe a combined 1 hour of other tasks (calendar, contacts, other programs). With this usage by 11PM I'll typically have about 10-20% of battery life left. To me that is awesome. Hope that gives you an idea.
    This is a very nice platform but here are some of the high profile problems that need to be fixed:

1. Sound quality problems. Documented and acknowledged by P1
    2. BlueTooth Headset volume problems
    3. Memory corruption. Random loss of data due to crashes where NVFS data didn't get flushed. Many people loosing their saved preferences for example.
    4. Serious problems in the API's that cause well running programs to crash. Mainly due to notification handling.
    5. Semaphore issues causing the phone application functions to not function properly when processing API calls from notification routines.
    6. Battery drain problems related to applications that interface with the phone's API.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing this platform but I am saying that the Treo 650 was released before it went through a complete quality control process.

From a normal user's standpoint that uses little 3rd party applications, you will have little to no problems with this device. If you are however an intermediate to serious palm user, you will find that this device is less than reliable. Many, many 3rd party applications that ran just fine on the Treo 600 now crash regularly on the Treo 650. This is why you see so many posts on the instability issues.

From a developer's standpoint, I "hate" this platform right now. It is taking me 3 times longer to develop on the 650 than on the 600. Every time I turn around I run into another problem that turns out to be 650 ralated than my code related. P1 also did not provide support developers in the release of the 650. Little to no documentation has been made available and the API that was released is still *beta*.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    This is a very nice platform but here are some of the high profile problems that need to be fixed:

3. Memory corruption. Random loss of data due to crashes where NVFS data didn't get flushed. Many people loosing their saved preferences for example.
    4. Serious problems in the API's that cause well running programs to crash. Mainly due to notification handling.
    5. Semaphore issues causing the phone application functions to not function properly when processing API calls from notification routines.
    6. Battery drain problems related to applications that interface with the phone's API.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing this platform but I am saying that the Treo 650 was released before it went through a complete quality control process.

From a normal user's standpoint that uses little 3rd party applications, you will have little to no problems with this device. If you are however an intermediate to serious palm user, you will find that this device is less than reliable. Many, many 3rd party applications that ran just fine on the Treo 600 now crash regularly on the Treo 650. This is why you see so many posts on the instability issues.

From a developer's standpoint, I "hate" this platform right now. It is taking me 3 times longer to develop on the 650 than on the 600. Every time I turn around I run into another problem that turns out to be 650 ralated than my code related. P1 also did not provide support developers in the release of the 650. Little to no documentation has been made available and the API that was released is still *beta*.

Jeff

You go jeff!
    I've had my Treo since December 17th, 2004, and it's been rock solid in performance....however.....

1. There is definitely an issue with Versamail (I re-registered Snapper from my Tungsten C).

....thats about it!

Now I have experienced soft resets, and even the dreaded reset loop. But this was, and I will emphasize this....due to software. I like to try out software, and apparently some are just not compatible.

Well I could go on with the pros....there are just to many to list. I will end this by siding with Palmone in going with non-volatile memory. I've since run down my battery 3 times, and it's such a relief knowing that all I need to do is charge the battery or swap it out, and not have to reload everything.

Jose
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang
    I have the Sprint version and the battery life is awesome. In the morning at 8AM I obviously start with a full battery. My typical usage is about 3 hours of MP3 playing, 2 constant hours of web surfing, about 1.5 hours of talking on the phone, approx. 30 minutes of games, 2 bluetooth hotsyncs, and maybe a combined 1 hour of other tasks (calendar, contacts, other programs). With this usage by 11PM I'll typically have about 10-20% of battery life left. To me that is awesome. Hope that gives you an idea.
    I second that. I had to charge my 270 several times a day, but with the 650 I just top it off every night.

And don't forget you can carry a spare battery with the 650.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson

Jeff
    Good to know a developer's perspective. Hopefully P1 is listening...the availability of tons of 3rd party software is part of what sells me on the Palm platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_monkey
    For those considering the Treo 650, it's not a tenth as bad as some on this board would have you believe. I've been using my Treo 650 intensively over the last 5 days. So far, there is ONLY ONE legitimate bug I can agree with --- the 3 second delay when clicking a contact to dial. And even that is really just a display annoyance that I can live with until Palm1 provides a fix. It doesn't actually take any longer to make a call than other phones.

It seems that the problems others are having is caused by:

* Upgrading rather than reinstalling apps and contacts. If you have an older Treo, export your contacts and other info from Palm Desktop to a safe location, then remove the Palm software and Palm user files completely from your computer. And make sure any older software you plan to use is compatible with the 650.

I exported my contacts and other info from my old Treo to a backup location on my computer, and then I imported them and did a fresh install of apps for the 650 using the included CD. So far I've had no memory problems, not a single crash, no sluggishness. P1 should publicly recommend doing a fresh install.

* Dissatisfaction with Sprint customer service. I don't really understand this one...how is it the Treo 650's fault if Sprint has lousy CS? My experience with Sprint has been great so far. If you hate Sprint for whatever reason, then just wait until other carriers start selling the 650.

* Calls cutting out, bad call quality, etc. This also has to do with Sprint and where you live...I've had no problem with dropped connections or voice quality in my area. Don't blame the Treo b/c you can't get good coverage. Wait for another carrier that has better coverage in your area.

* Hotsync or memory card backups not working. I've synced probably a dozen times using missing sync on my mac and hotsync on my PC laptop...no issues here. My guess is people having hotsync problems upgraded from a 600 rather than do a fresh install. Try wiping everything and starting fresh, and be wary of third party apps that may cause problems.

* Complaints about lack of support. Although I haven't had a reason to contact support yet, I can understand the frustration. However, this is a UNIVERSAL problem in the computer industry. Once you start installing third party apps and hardware, it's outside of P1 or any one company's control to ensure everything works properly. P1 built a great device and OS, but you have to take care installing everything, one at at time, and when you begin to have a problem, you know it was due to the last thing you installed. Just like a computer. Nobody can fully support the complexity in todays computers, there are just too many variables. And a single call to support probably erases any profits they got from the sale of the device. Tell me of one manufacturer that offers better support (well, aside from Apple).

* Low rez camera. So what? Do you want a two inch optical lense sticking out the back? The camera's a nice to have; nobody buys a 650 for the camera. And it's a major improvement compared to the dreadful camera in the T600.

I also read a post that PPC is from Microsoft and therefore it will work better with Outlook, etc. Everything I've heard points the other way. Documents To Go, which comes for FREE with the 650, duplicates Microsoft apps like Word and Excel more faithfully than MS's own PPC offerings. And Sprint's BizConnect syncs with Outlook extremely well with push email...it took all of about 5 minutes to download and set it up. That MS apps will work better on a MS platform is the same silly argument that used to be made against the Mac, and now MS Office on the Mac blows away the Windows version.

Besides, try to find any favorable review of a PPC combination device similar to the Treo. They all have MAJOR shortcomings.

So what else am I missing? Did I just happen to get my Treo from a freshly patched batch, or are people really overstating the problems they're having?

Sorry for ranting, but I just read the Pos article from the noob who couldn't hotsync and thought I'd start a more positive thread. How about asking for help rather than calling a device we're all interested in a Pos?

The above post only demonstrates that humans possess a remarkable ability for self-delusion.

How anyone can gloss over the glaring issues with the Treo 650 is beyond me. Maybe it arises from the shame at having spent $600 for a device that doesn't do everything its supposed to do correctly. (shrugs).

The very first item you state, upgrading instead of reinstalling apps ought to be an obvious issue. You are obviously a geek. So am I. Reinstalling apps is not something the average user should have to do when moving from one PalmOS device to another. My first Palm PDA was the Kyocera 6035 Smartphone. From there I upgraded flawlessly to the Kyocera 7135 Smartphone and from there to the Treo 600 Smartphone. PalmOne dropped the ball on not making upgrading *SEAMLESS* when upgrading to the Treo 650. No the user isn't doing anything *wrong* by not re-installing all their apps. They probably don't know how to in the first place and secondly the instructions do not tell you either how to do so or that you should.

The second item you state you are correct about. I've never had anything but great customer service from Sprint.

The third item is call quality and here again you are wrong. I switched to Sprint for the Treo 600. Call quality was fine on that phone. Its also fine for me on the Treo 650. But if other people are reporting that when remaining on the same phone network (namely Sprint) and moving from the Treo 600 to the Treo 650 that call quality gets worse the only logical issue can be with the device itself. The network has not changed. The coverage area has not changed. All that has changed is the handset. Therefore it is most likely to blame.

Hotsyncs and SD cards not working right all the time. This is related to the first issue and again is not the users's fault. It was not wrong of the user to not have wiped everything clean upon purchasing the Treo 650. Again, upgrading should have been seamless.

The complains about lack of support are valid and on point. This isn't a third party issue. The Treo 650 had issues out of the box. We have yet to see a satisfactory resolution to the most glaring issue, the memory flaw. You'd have to be a paladin apprentice of public relations spin to honestly believe otherwise.

Low rez camera. I have not seen many complaints about this. This has been far overshadowed by the memory flaw issue. The camera for its resolution is actually very good in the Treo 650.

Obviously there are many people pleased with their Treo 650. Maybe they're newcomers to PDA's or Palms in general so they don't have much data to import. Most Smartphone users or technology users in general will never know all of the features their device has, how to use them or when to use them so they're far less likely to notice things that are missing or not working right. But this phone is far from perfect even though naturally it can never be so. I don't know however what you are trying to accomplish by making it seem like the issues with this phone have been overblown. To the contrary they have not been stated loudly enough. Too many reviews fail to mention the serious problems with this phone leading people to buy something that may not be right for them. That is wrong, and to suggest otherwise is wrong as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85
    The above post only demonstrates that humans possess a remarkable ability for self-delusion.

How anyone can gloss over the glaring issues with the Treo 650 is beyond me. Maybe it arises from the shame at having spent $600 for a device that doesn't do everything its supposed to do correctly. (shrugs).

The very first item you state, upgrading instead of reinstalling apps ought to be an obvious issue. You are obviously a geek. So am I. Reinstalling apps is not something the average user should have to do when moving from one PalmOS device to another. My first Palm PDA was the Kyocera 6035 Smartphone. From there I upgraded flawlessly to the Kyocera 7135 Smartphone and from there to the Treo 600 Smartphone. PalmOne dropped the ball on not making upgrading *SEAMLESS* when upgrading to the Treo 650. No the user isn't doing anything *wrong* by not re-installing all their apps. They probably don't know how to in the first place and secondly the instructions do not tell you either how to do so or that you should.

The second item you state you are correct about. I've never had anything but great customer service from Sprint.

The third item is call quality and here again you are wrong. I switched to Sprint for the Treo 600. Call quality was fine on that phone. Its also fine for me on the Treo 650. But if other people are reporting that when remaining on the same phone network (namely Sprint) and moving from the Treo 600 to the Treo 650 that call quality gets worse the only logical issue can be with the device itself. The network has not changed. The coverage area has not changed. All that has changed is the handset. Therefore it is most likely to blame.

Hotsyncs and SD cards not working right all the time. This is related to the first issue and again is not the users's fault. It was not wrong of the user to not have wiped everything clean upon purchasing the Treo 650. Again, upgrading should have been seamless.

The complains about lack of support are valid and on point. This isn't a third party issue. The Treo 650 had issues out of the box. We have yet to see a satisfactory resolution to the most glaring issue, the memory flaw. You'd have to be a paladin apprentice of public relations spin to honestly believe otherwise.

Low rez camera. I have not seen many complaints about this. This has been far overshadowed by the memory flaw issue. The camera for its resolution is actually very good in the Treo 650.

Obviously there are many people pleased with their Treo 650. Maybe they're newcomers to PDA's or Palms in general so they don't have much data to import. Most Smartphone users or technology users in general will never know all of the features their device has, how to use them or when to use them so they're far less likely to notice things that are missing or not working right. But this phone is far from perfect even though naturally it can never be so. I don't know however what you are trying to accomplish by making it seem like the issues with this phone have been overblown. To the contrary they have not been stated loudly enough. Too many reviews fail to mention the serious problems with this phone leading people to buy something that may not be right for them. That is wrong, and to suggest otherwise is wrong as well.

Very well said!!
    I don't really have time to elaborate right now, but TreoMonkey: sorry, you're wrong. My issues are none of the above, except for the voice quality issues which is NOT related to Sprint coverage or your geographical area. This has been proven by applying a rom patch.

Sorry, I don't get the point of your post.
    So anyone that disagrees with your viewpoint is delusional or a neophyte?

I have a B.S.E.E and have worked in high tech for over 20 years. I've owned more computers, phone, and smartphones than I can list here. I've had Symbian devices, most Palm models, and a few PPCs.

This is the exactly the kind of post I think this thread is about. It seems some people just can't stand to see anything positive said.

I'm not delusional and I'm about as experienced on these kinds of devices as you can reasonably get. I'm also not stupid or wanting to blame others. If you only have 23MB of usable memory and fill it up causing the device to crash, lockup, or loop, delete some stuff! How many of these posts do we need to have? I would have liked 64MB also, but it has what it has. Get over it. I've had some random crashes, but not most of what I see complained about here.

I really think we need a qualifier here to say whether you own one or not. I think alot of the complaints I see are from those who don't but are just complaining about what they have read. I think these comments are a waste. If there is a better device out there go buy it. But I don't think there is at the moment, otherwise I'd buy it too.

Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85

Obviously there are many people pleased with their Treo 650. Maybe they're newcomers to PDA's or Palms in general so they don't have much data to import.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    So anyone that disagrees with your viewpoint is delusional or a neophyte?

I have a B.S.E.E and have worked in high tech for over 20 years. I've owned more computers, phone, and smartphones than I can list here. I've had Symbian devices, most Palm models, and a few PPCs.

This is the exactly the kind of post I think this thread is about. It seems some people just can't stand to see anything positive said.

I'm not delusional and I'm about as experienced on these kinds of devices as you can reasonably get. I'm also not stupid or wanting to blame others. If you only have 23MB of usable memory and fill it up causing the device to crash, lockup, or loop, delete some stuff! How many of these posts do we need to have? I would have liked 64MB also, but it has what it has. Get over it. I've had some random crashes, but not most of what I see complained about here.

I really think we need a qualifier here to say whether you own one or not. I think alot of the complaints I see are from those who don't but are just complaining about what they have read. I think these comments are a waste. If there is a better device out there go buy it. But I don't think there is at the moment, otherwise I'd buy it too.
    Sir (?Ma'am???), I don't yet have my GSM TREO 650; I hope to get one some day, if they ever get released.

You've posted a coupla things I think need some comments. In the post above, you are basically saying that if you don't have a TREO 650, you shouldn't post anything, though you seem to really be saying don't post anything negative about the TREO 650; all positive comments are welcome. Now, is that really fair? Don't discount everyone else's ability to reason and draw conclusions from facts presented here.

You have been one of the really vocal positive commenters here, and that has encouraged me that the TREO 650 might not be a "POS" as someone put it after all. But some of the things you have said in support of the machine make me worry some... First, in the above post, you talked about how if you load too many things in memory, well, of course its gonna crash. Well, my TREO 600 WON'T LET ME load too much, so I don't have crashes. Don't you have to agree that this is a big error in programming that even allows you to load too much, let alone the fact that the thing crashes if you do? Huh? In some other post, you laugh at the people who criticise PalmOne for blaming other software companies for the crashes. Well, read Jeff's post above. Here, you have one of the big time Palm OS experts, probably knows it better than you do, but he says they made it just about impossible to reprogram for the TREO 650. But, I guess that's the developer's fault, not that of PalmOne. Right.

For the moment, the TREO 600 seems to be a heck of a lot more stable, runs a lot of the old Palm OS software, unlike its unruly new sibling, has more accessible memory, etc. There's your better option. Oh, but it just doesn't have that WONDERFUL SCREEN. Sorry.

Ignore everything I just said. I don't have my TREO 650 yet. You can bet PalmOne will ignore it too, as I still would like to buy the darn thing..... I sure wish they would address these issues, though.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast