Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone ever attempted streaming audio using these methods? Is it worth paying $27.95 for?
    Go to...
    www.gloonet.com

and set up an account and install the gloonet server on your desktop. It is awesome!!!! I can access any somg from my 80GB music folder on my desktop through blazer and stream through pocket tunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Go to...
    www.gloonet.com

and set up an account and install the gloonet server on your desktop. It is awesome!!!! I can access any somg from my 80GB music folder on my desktop through blazer and stream through pocket tunes.
    I assume you need a static IP for that... correct?
    sxtg...

nope
    Right off the bat I have to register. I hate that! Does the site give me the info I need about why no Static IP?
    you have to login to access your files in blazer. user name makes sense for this to me. I just go to www.username.gloonet .com in blazer.

no I didn't ip info, I just know mine is not static. A gloolabs tech type is posting on the thread on this at mtdn. You could ask there.
    Right the username makes sense if you want to use it, but just going here www.gloonet.com to check it out wants me register
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Right the username makes sense if you want to use it, but just going here www.gloonet.com to check it out wants me register
    ahhhh...

"
    ::: GlooNet Basics

Is the GlooNet software a windows only product?
    No. A Macintosh release will be available shortly and a Linux distribution will be made available as well.

How do I connect to GlooNet?
    Start by creating a GlooNet account and download the GlooNet software. Once you have installed the GlooNet software, configure it to recognize your music collection, and then from the Connection Manager window, type in your GlooNet username and password and click the Connect button. If you are running the GlooNet software on multiple computers, you only need to connect to the GlooNet service from one of them.

Can I run the GlooNet software on multiple computers simultaneously?
    Yes. The GlooNet software can be installed on any number of networked PCs or other devices that contains media files you'd like to access through GlooNet. Once the software is installed and configured on several computers, connect to GlooNet from one of them. This one computer will discover all GlooNet Audio Servers on your home network and make them available from your account. As long as the connected computer is running, it will continue to discover Audio Servers as they come and go.

What are the requirements for running the GlooNet software?
    Since the GlooNet software is written in Java, it can run on any device capable of running a J2SE 1.1.7 Virtual Machine (or greater). The software have been tested on Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP and Linux. The computer must be connected to the Internet using a high speed broadband connection, such as DSL or cable modem.

What media management software do I need to use?
    The GlooNet software is media management software independent. You can use iTunes or any other content management system of your choice. The GlooNet software sits alongside your existing music management application, so that you are not tied to one content management solution. Configure the software to recognize your music folder or there is a special interface for users of iTunes that will support your iTunes collect, playlists, and smart playlists.

Which audio formats does GlooNet support?
    The GlooNet software will support playback of any MP3 and WAV audio files. Support for additional file types and DRM content will be available in future releases of the software.

Which devices does GlooNet support?
    Your GlooNet account can be accessed from any device that has an Internet browser. In order to play the audio content, the device must have an audio player that is configured to work with the browser. Here are some suggestions for various platforms:

Desktop Computer (i.e. Windows, Mac) -- iTunes, Winamp
    Palm Powered PDAs and Phones (i.e. Treo) -- Pocket Tunes Deluxe
    PocketPC Powered PDAs (i.e. iPaq) -- TodayPlayer, Windows Media Player

Any audio player that is capable of playing Internet audio streams (such as Shoutcast or Live365) and can be configured to launch from the browser, is capable of playing audio via GlooNet. If your hardware platform is not listed above, search for a player with the mentioned capabilities, and if you find one that works, let us know. Does the GlooNet software read ID3 tags?
    Yes. Your music libraries can be navigated by Album, Artist, Artist/Album, and Genre.

Does the GlooNet software support playlists?
    Yes. The GlooNet service is capable of playing .M3U and iTunes playlists.

::: GlooNet Troubleshooting

The Audio Server won't start.
    For GlooNet to function properly, you must have Java installed. Make sure that you have installed Java Virtual Machine version 1.4 or greater. To check your Java version or to upgrade, go to http://www.java.com. If you have multiple versions of Java installed, that is known to cause Java problem (if you have upgraded to v1.5, make sure you uninstall the previous version). In some cases, reinstalling Java can fix the problem. If the problem persists, paste the contents of your wrapper.log file (located in crogram filesgloonetaudio serverbin) along with your system information into the Contact Us form.

I can't connect to GlooNet from the Connection Manager.
    First, make sure that you have an active Internet connection from your computer. Next, make sure that you are using the correct username and password that you created when you registered for GlooNet. For GlooNet to function properly, you must have Java installed. Make sure that you have installed Java Virtual Machine version 1.4 or greater. To check your Java version or to upgrade, go to http://www.java.com. If the problem persists, paste the contents of your gateway.log and wrapper.log files (located in crogram filesgloonetgateway) along with your system information into the Contact Us form.

After I log in, GlooNet takes me back to the login page again.
    First, make sure that your browser is configured to accept cookies. Cookies must be enabled for GlooNet to function properly. If you have cookies enabled, and you are still being sent back to the login page, try reloading the page. It may be that your browser has cached the login page and isn't properly displaying the post-login page.

I can log into my GlooNet account, but it doesn't find any audio servers.
    First, confirm that you have configured the software properly to recognize your music collection and clicked the Start button to active the Audio Server. If the Audio Server is running properly, see if you have firewall software running. Disable it and see if that resolves the problem. Many Mac G4 and Windows XP computers have a built-in firewall that may be active by default. On the Mac, open System Preferences & click the Sharing icon. On the Sharing window, click the Firewall button and set the Firewall to OFF. In Windows, go to your Control Panel and open Security Center.

I can log into my GlooNet account and I see my audio server, but I can't navigate into it.
    The Windows XP firewall may be blocking you ability to communicate with other computers on your network. If you are running Windows XP SP1, we recommend that you upgrade to SP2. If you don't want to upgrade, you will need to configure GlooNet for a static port and then configure the Windows Firewall to allow GlooNet communication on that port. First, click GlooNet Audio Server to bring up the main Audio Server control panel. Click the Advanced button and check the Static Port check box (generally the static port should be between 1024 and 65,535). Restart your GlooNet Audio Server. Next, open the Network Connections window and select Properties for your active network connection. Click the Advanced tab, followed by the Settings button. Click Add and enter "GlooNet TCP" as the service name, "localhost" as the name or IP address, the static port you selected in your GlooNet configuration as the internal and external port, and select the TCP option. Click OK to save the entry. Click Add again and enter "GlooNet UDP" as the service name, "239.255.8.15" as the IP address, "2131" as the internal and external port, and select the UDP option. You should now be able to view and navigate your collection.

Pocket Tunes keeps playing the same song over again.
    There is a bug in Pocket Tunes where M3U playlists don't automatically advance to the next song. However, the Previous and Next buttons can be used to manually advance to the next song in the list. With PLS playlists, Pocket Tunes will auto-advance to the next song, but the Previous and Next buttons do not function properly. To switch playlist formats, click the Settings link at the bottom of the page when you are logged into your GlooNet account.

iTunes doesn't seem to work properly when I use it as my player.
    When you launch or open a playlist with iTunes from a browser, iTunes will automatically add the songs into the main Library rather than creating a new playlist. Playlist song order is lost and in some instances, playback won't advance to the next song automatically. Unfortunately, that is how iTunes is designed to function and there is no configuration to change this behavior. As a work around, rather than letting iTunes download the playlist, you can save the playlist file to your local drive, and then import it into iTunes from the File > Import menu option (make sure to change to "Files of Type" to M3U). This is create a new playlist with all the information maintained as it should.

I have multiple network cards or interfaces configured on my computer, which is causing problems.
    From the GlooNet software Audio Server and Connection Manager windows, you can click on the Advanced... button to access network interface configuration options. Select the appropriate network interface through which GlooNet should connect.

When I log into my GlooNet account I get a "Missing Gateway" error.
    Before you log into your GlooNet account from a browser, make sure that you have connected to GlooNet on your computer from the GlooNet software. To establish a connection to GlooNet, click on Connection Manager from the GlooNet Software and type in your GlooNet username and password. Click the Connect button and confirm that the status becomes "Connected". Reload your browser or re-log into your GlooNet account.

Can I run the GlooNet Connection Manager from one computer and run the Audio Server from another computer?
    Yes. Ideally, you want to run the GlooNet Connection Manager from a computer that will be on most often, and then you can run the Audio Server on one or more additional computers with audio content.

Do I need to run the GlooNet Audio Server if I use Music management software that already has a uPnP server built into it (such as MusicMatch)?
    No. But, you will still need to install the GlooNet software to establish a connection to GlooNet from one of your computers. The GlooNet platform supports uPnP AV servers so the GlooNet software will automatically discover and recognize any uPnP servers running on your network"
    Ahh...
    Its like a single client P2P or HTTP server.

COOL!

Thanks for being such an ***
    Last edited by sxtg; 01/07/2005 at 10:19 PM.
    Looking forward to the Mac version. No room on my PC for mp3's .
    Gloonet.... is.... friggin SWEEEEEEEETT!!!
    I don't get it. Where's the money flowing? It doesn't seem like you have to pay for anything and yet they need to support this website and create the software. There doesn't seem to be an opportunity for advertising. Or did I miss something and you do have to pay to register?
    I keep getting server connection closed, anyone else have this issue?
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enupe4
    I keep getting server connection closed, anyone else have this issue?
    Is gloonet a Sony sues you deal when you register?
    No you are using your own files with Gloonet
    will this work on a 600?
    Last edited by Dragonman; 01/10/2005 at 09:54 AM.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    I am going to install it tomorrow. What quality can you stream at thru ptunes?
    Gloonet looks great, but there's a big problem for me: the electricity bill. I can't justify keeping my desktop on all the time while I'm away from home just so that I can stream music off of it. Especially when I keep about half the space on my 1GB SD card dedicated to WMA files.

Gloonet sounds like the kind of thing that would be great to install on a home server appliance such as the ones that Tritton and Buslink make. But I don't think that's possible right now.
    Hello Future Gloonetters:

Just wanted to respond to a couple questions/comments here:

1) The Mac version should be released in a couple weeks. In the meantime, you can installed the software on a PC and connect to GlooNet and then run the Mac Audio Server (which is already available) on your Mac. These don't have to be on the same machine, just on the same home network. You can download the Mac version at http://www.macsense.com/ or at http://developer.gloolabs.com/.

2) You don't have to pay for anything YET. Correct, this is a free beta release of the service to see how people like it and to work out the bugs. The commercial service will be release by Normsoft in february.

3) It will work on the Treo 600, 650 or any other PDA or desktop that has a browser and streaming mp3 player. You can select the desired bitrate, but the max will be determined by your available bandwidth (cell network vs. wifi vs. wired).

If you have any other questions or comments, please contact us here:
    http://gloonet.com/contact.php
    Is it possible for me to restream or rebroadcast a shoutcast streaming audio, using gloonet or shoutcast server? For example, if I want to listen to a 128kbps (which ALWAYS buffers through Vision, every few seconds) stream, can I take that stream, and rebroadcast it at 96 or 64 kbps?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast