Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It seems that I can't keep Avantgo or Vindigo working for very long. I've never had these issues on past Palms, so I'm thinink this NVFS stuff is just unstable.

Vindigo just dissappears. I can find the app in File Browser, but it just doesn't show up in the Launcher. A reinstall fixes it sometimes, but right now I'm looking at a screen that says "Please sync your handheld now to update...."

Avantgo never dissappears, but I get a similar screen asking me to "Enter Account Information"

Anybody else having these issues? Any permanent fixes? I'm about to Hard Reset, delete my backup, and start from scratch.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    It seems that I can't keep Avantgo or Vindigo working for very long. I've never had these issues on past Palms, so I'm thinink this NVFS stuff is just unstable.

Vindigo just dissappears. I can find the app in File Browser, but it just doesn't show up in the Launcher. A reinstall fixes it sometimes, but right now I'm looking at a screen that says "Please sync your handheld now to update...."

Avantgo never dissappears, but I get a similar screen asking me to "Enter Account Information"

Anybody else having these issues? Any permanent fixes? I'm about to Hard Reset, delete my backup, and start from scratch.

I've been having simialr issues with both. I ended up deleting Avantgo off my handheld because it was so slow to update and I didn't really find myself using it as much.

For Vindigo, do you have a blue cube appear in the place where the vindigo icon was? I e-mailed them about this and they were surprisingly enough able to recreate it. Also, dial ##377 the next time something happens to Vindigo to see what's causing it. For me, it was Vindigolink, which I promptly deleted and downloaded new from the Vindigo web site. Here's what they sent me.
    Start from the bottom of the page.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello

For what it's worth, I was able to recreate the blue cube icon problem on my 650. I think what's happening is that, while logged on to my account at www.vindigo.com and adjusting my cities and channels, and then attempting a wireless sync, I'm corrupting something - I can't say for sure what or why, but I also have to delete Vindigo from my device and resync with the cable to restore my service. I'll describe this to our engineers and see if they can provide some more insight, but I just wanted to let you know we're working on it.

If you notice anything else, please let me know.

All the best,

Chauncey
    Response (Chauncy) 01/06/2005 03:09 PM
    Hello

Thank you for your recent message. We've had one other user with the wireless sync/device reset issue, but we weren't able to determine the cause of the problem. Our theory, tested on my own Treo 650, is that you need to shut off your wireless Vindigo sync capabilities when you sync via the hard connection. When I tried to connect via cable yesterday, I received a proxy server error from Vindigo on my Treo, which disappeared once I deleted and re-synced without wireless sync checked off, even though I had made zero adjustments in my proxy settings.

The Treo 650 is still new to us, but we're learning more about it every day. For now, just be aware of your wireless sync settings when performing cable hotsyncs. If we come up with something more definitive, we'll certainly let you know.

Best regards,

Chauncey
    Me:

I have the new Treo 650, and recently when I attempt to wirelessly hotsync, the device resets. Also on occasion when I hotsync with the desktop, the vindigo icon disappears, replaced with a blue 3d cube. The program itself still resides on my palm but has to be deleted and reinstalled for it to work. Are you seeing similar issues with other new Treo devices?
  3.    #3  
    Well, I just did a hard reset and did an almost completely fresh install and the same thing happened to Vindigo again. I don't think it has anything to do w/ the wireless sync, because I never got a chance to do a wireless sync, let alone let it install the function.

BTW, I don't get the blue box you do. Maybe because I use ZLauncher? Next time it happens I'll double check the default launcher.

So far so good w/ Avantgo, but we'll see. I'll try to update this thread when either crashes. Let me know if you get any further w/ Vindigo.
    Pardon my ignorance, but what so good about Avantgo? I tried it, and it seems absolutely worthless to me. Can you tell me what it does?
  5.    #5  
    I use it to read news, weather, etc... They have many websites that have pre-formatted content specifically for PDAs and they download during Hotsync so I don't have to wait on the to download OTA later.

It's not that it's that great, and there are alternatives. It's just that it's what I've used for so long.
    AvantGo is worthless. Your assessment is correct.

The wireless version doesn't do offline reading (download the content and read later), so it's just a glorified web browser to a smattering of site. You can find the content in other places.

If you are doing the desktop client and sync, it does offline, but again, the content is week.

There is nothing compelling, other than it's pretty.

I am sure this with bring the flames from the AG lover, but I was an O.G. AG user from back in the day...it was nice before that days of wireless data, but now it's a dinosaur that doesn't know it's dead. Wish they had evolved better..they had a decent idea...could've been interesting.
  7.    #7  
    Not that I'm going to truly flame you, but I think your assessment is a bit off.

As far as your "days of wireless data" comment, I think the days of wireless data for Treo 650 users really haven't arrived yet. It takes 2-3x as long to look up weather or news over 1xRTT than it does for me to open AvantGo and read the same info.

And if the content is not compelling, maybe you're not loading the right content. I find several of the channels very helpful when I want to catch some quick news briefs or get some of the latest CES info when I'm away from my PC.

The only thing I find truly "week" is your spelling ability (sorry, couldn't help myself.)

Like I said, there are other options out there, but AvantGo is not a bad one. All you've managed to do is trash a decent program without offering any substance as to why or even an alternative.

Edit: forgot the real reason I came to post! Had another "incident." AvantGo started taking indefinate lengths of time to sync. I ended up having to delete and re-install again. Now I've got the screen asking for my username again....GRRRRR. I had none of these probs w/ AvantGo before my 650.
    Well I never said I was a spelled well.

I asked for some channels/content that aren't available elsewhere.

You came up with none other than a reference to tech news.

I am truely looking for some that are good...if I have enough time to waste, I may have to rate each one. But my point is, regardless of content, you cannot cache locally with the wireless client, making it useless (although I guess managing your acct has some value).

Agendus and Infoman can give me weather faster than AG. Moviefone saved pages give me movie listings faster (and Infoman is faster still.)

News....Yahoo, CNN, etc...take your pick. Faster.

Again, I am looking for content of value...please share what you think is so good.

Otherwise, it's a waste.
  9.    #9  
    I wasn't trying to offer something that can't be had somewhere else, I see no need to go elsewhere. (Except maybe due to compatibility issues w/ the 650.)

How are these things faster when you have to connect to get them?

I was unaware that Agendus offered weather, but I still don't see how it's faster. If it's on the device, it's on the device.

As far as movies go, I use Vindigo.

When you say "News....Yahoo, CNN, etc....," in what form? Are you connecting to these wirelessly? If so, how is this faster? If not, maybe you're using Infoman. I'm not familiar with it so I guess I'll look into it.

And as far as "But my point is, regardless of content, you cannot cache locally with the wireless client," I'm not sure exactly what you mean by caching locally with the wireless client, but you can wirelessly sync and you can just plain old browse if you like.

Edit: the intention of this thread was not to convince you of what content is good w/ AvantGo, it is to discuss issues using these products on the 650. Thanks for the hijack!
    ThomasAnderson jacked the thread, not me...

How fast? A couple seconds....uch faster than AG wireless connection.

I actually would like to use AG, if I could find a use. I thought the "sync" downloaded content locally for offline reading...am I missing something?
    Yeah, I had the same problem. I tried reinstalling, updating the conduit, no good. Finally wiped it out after I found Sunrise + Plucker, which, IMHO, is far superior to AvantGo. Much faster, much cleaner, can keep the data on SD - this is the killer app for me on the Treo ... well, this and Snapper.
    Sunrise and Plucker?

Got a link?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    ThomasAnderson jacked the thread, not me...

How fast? A couple seconds....uch faster than AG wireless connection.

I actually would like to use AG, if I could find a use. I thought the "sync" downloaded content locally for offline reading...am I missing something?
    A couple of seconds? Unless you got EV-DO before the rest of us, it takes longer than a couple of seconds for my Treo 650 to connect to the net and download a web page....even w/ images turned off. And I don't use the AG wireless, no need. The pages I want are already there available offline.

And yes, it downloads the content for offline reading. I guess I'm still not understanding what it is your are wanting then. A cached page is one that is stored locally. So maybe you mean to say something else or maybe I'm still missing something.

I think I used Plucker in the past....think I went back to AG due to ease of use. Guess I'll have to look into it again as well as this Sunrise thing. Not sure I have the patience to figure out the AG/650 issue.

Edit: Sunrise + Plucker
    I loved Avantgo from it's inception up until I got the Treo 600, found I couldn't spare the space anymore (the johnny-come-lately feature of sync-to-card is too buggy IMHO). It was excellent for subway trips and other places where data connections are spotty. Also would be nice for reference while I'm on voice streams. Since the data is resident on the handheld, it's much faster than waiting for each page view over wireless.

Unfortunately, it's one of those programs I had to kill off in order to have the advantages of the Treo 600. Since the 650 "upgrade" has arrived with 33-40% less memory, Avantgo is still one of those programs waiting to be reinstalled when someone releases a Treo with appropriate memory for the "rest of us."

I've had Vindigo since inception, too (2 cities, free, and showed lots of promise). I can't bring myself to delete it off the 600, even though just 1 city nearly kills the device. I've recently had many issues with it crashing out on my Treo 600, and I can relate almost all of the problems due to swapping components back and forth from the SD card (haven't found a stable procedure to keep anything on SD yet). If you are having any issues with the Vsync, try a complete uninstall and reinstall (DT and Treo), and try updating only wirelessly or from the DT, but NOT both.

Last correspondence I had with Vindigo they still don't support syncing to SD. Perhaps if more people emailed them they would see the market for it (heck, they're charging $25 a year to find clean bathrooms in Portland...). It's gotta be misery making Vindigo fit onto a 650 with that NVFS sucking you dry...
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  15.    #15  
    All I can get Sunrise to do is crash. So much for that idea.
    No EV-DO, and no need to be a wiseacre.

I should have been more precise.
    5 seconds - Yahoo News
    6 seconds - Movie listings, InfoMan

I have been trying to explain what I am trying to do. I will do it again.

Question: Is it possible to read content OFFLINE using the AG WIRELESS client (NO desktop sync).

If so, how (i.e config settings).

It appears impossible with the wireless client.

Just looking to find the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    All I can get Sunrise to do is crash. So much for that idea.
    Really? Using the showcase links or your own? My Engadget RSS feed crashed my Palm today, but that was the first in a week of use.

http://laurens.typepad.com/sunrise/
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    I like AvantGo a lot and find it much preferable for quick reading material. Browsing the web "free form" is good too, but I go to AG first since clicking the links brings up cached-but-current pages immediately (even where there's weak/no signal.)
  19.    #19  
    Found out my issues w/ Sunrise were due to dll issues:
    http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3297#post13297
    Now it no longer crashes, but I can't get the docs loaded up in Plucker (not even sure if they are on the Treo.)

Mikec - that is still longer than I like to wait....and those times don't include connecting to Vision of you aren't currently connected and they don't include delays due to weak signal (which is an issue in the building I work in.)

I think I may have figured out what you meant. Yes, you can use the wireless client to sync your channels and read them offline. No, you can't use the wireless browser to download any website (outside of your channels) to read offline via wireless. To do this, you must setup a custom channel prior to the wireless sync (Is that what you meant?)

Edit: Quote from AG website - "It's wireless optimized so you can view Web content online or off."

Edit #2: Able to view the docs in Plucker now...not sure what I did except upgrade from PR9 to PR10.
    Last edited by Geckotek; 01/09/2005 at 12:19 PM.
    Thanks for the clarification.

So basically, if you want to browse content offline, you need to use the desktop client and sync the content to your Treo for offline reading.

This essentially tethers you to PC that is always connected to the internet. (If you are a laptop user, this sorta blows).

So the wireless client is in effect useless. I was trying to avoid being tethered to a PC....if I wanted that, I would just sit at my PC all day.

I appreciate the information.

Application deletion in progress....maybe Sunrise will work.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast