Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Huh? I also like how I can set AvantGo to sync wirelessly while it's in my pocket... download 15 channels worth of new content, and then read it all comfortably ... without having to wait after each click for pages to load sllooowwly. The pages are optimized for the Treo's screen too, as opposed to scrolling all over the place just to read and article. For fast and convenient reading news I always go to AvantGo first.

So basically I sync via my desktop as often as I can (these syncs are FAST) and that keeps my cached data up to date.

When I'm traveling and haven't been able to desktop sync, I'll just wirelessly sync (these take a bit longer) bit they give me new cached data to enjoy.

(For the record, I can *also* use AvantGo as a regular web browser, just typing in manual URL's to go to, but it's not as fast as Blazer nor does it have as many features as Web Pro or Xiino.)
  2.    #22  
    Mikec - No, if you want to browse content (other than pre-configured channels) offline, you need to use a desktop client to create a custom channel. After creating the channel, you can sync that content wirelessly anytime you like.

http://www.avantgo.com/support/chann...nnel_faq3.html
    Sunrise is no good either...requires desktop sync.

Also, the AG site may say that you can view content offline, but that is patently not true.

Surprised to see such gap in the market...
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    mikec, either something is wrong with your install or you are patently retarded.

AvantGo was expressly designed for, and is currently used by many, to view content offline.

Now, the version you've installed might *try* to go online to get newer content, so all you have to do is go to the "Channel" menu and select "Work Offline." That should do the trick. In previous versions I had to do that all the time but in the current version (5.7 build 35) I don't have to do that anymore.

How about updating your version of AvantGo?

Or are you just yanking our chains?
    Fofer,

Someone asks for help, and you insult..

And thanks to TC moderators for permitting this behavior. (MarkEagle, where are you?)

I will just respond in a civil tone, that I tried what you suggested....twice. Uninstalled and re-installed, same thing.

As far as I can tell, unless you have the desktop client syncing to your Treo, there is no offline browsing.

If anyone can point to a config setting, I will be glad to try it a 3rd time.

If you want to keep insulting, I guess that's okay too, just not helpful.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    I don't mean to insult, but you are bashing the product and making sweeping statements like "the AG site may say that you can view content offline, but that is patently not true" and "surprised to see such gap in the market..." when in fact, it's working just fine for many of us. Just not you.

There is no difference between the "wireless version" and the "desktop version," except it's just the Palm files and no desktop conduits. If you're having problems why not try installing the desktop version and then just wirelessly sync? I installed the desktop version and use it in both ways (desktop sync and wirelessly sync) and can view offline content all the time regardless.
    Yes, you do mean to insult.
    I guess that is your perogative.

Again, it's not working fine for "most", as no one can confim using just the AG wirless ONLY client, that offline browsing works.

In fact, some have said it is not possible.

Installing on the PC defeats the purpose...and some of us sitting at our PCs all the time.

Again, constructive comments are welcome, and insults will again, get a civil response (2nd time...third strike and you are out).
  8.    #28  
    Mikec - what it boils down to is this....AG DOES WIRELESSLY SYNC W/ NO NEED FOR THE DESKTOP CLIENT.

Now, maybe you are missing a component. If so, that component would be the Mobilelink.prc aka AGConnect. You must have it to sync w/ the AG servers. But you DO NOT NEED THE DESKTOP COMPONENT TO SYNC. I'd do a steb by step for you, but until I hear back from AG on exactly what's wrong, I've uninstalled it. But if I recall correctly, all you have to do is hit the menu button then choose the sync option. Your username and password must be setup in AGConnect for this to work.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Again, it's not working fine for "most", as no one can confim using just the AG wirless ONLY client, that offline browsing works.
    When I first installed AG on my Treo, I used the wireless only client. In fact, I had to, as I was syncing to a Mac and there *is* no officially supported desktop client. That was the only download available to me. Worked fine with wireless syncing.

Later on I decided I wanted to flexibility (and speed) of the occasional wired sync, so I installed the 3rd party "MAL Conduit" and now desktop syncing works too.

Installing on the PC defeats the purpose...and some of us sitting at our PCs all the time.
    You do realize it's a one-time install, right? One it's installed via the PC, you can continue to use and sync AG off the Treo with no desktop syncing ever needed again.
    I understand you guys are trying to help.

I'm going to step away from this for a day and start fresh and post each specific step.

Maybe then the mystery will be solved.
    And yes, Gecko, I had AG Connect installed, synching, etc.
    I also use a Mac, and have installed and used AvantGo for almost a year. On almost every flight I take, I over-the-air download the New York Times and the Washington Post, and NY1 News, and Reuters, and a bunch of other stuff before I take off. I have NEVER done a PC (or Mac) hotsync to get the data, I have ALWAYS done it over-the-air on my Treo600.

And then I read all the stuff while I'm flying somewhere. In this scenario, I have turned off the Wireless mode of the Treo600 (I'm in the air flying!), and everything works just fine. The times I am on the ground, with Wireless Mode turned on, I frequently don't want AvantGo to check every page on-line (which takes longer), so I do exactly what "Fofer" said in his message to you above, "all you have to do is go to the "Channel" menu and select "Work Offline.".

I don't understand why this doesn't work for you (or even which part doesn't work for you), but I can confirm that AvantGo works just fine for me, and for (almost?) everyone else this way.

Bill S
    Quote Originally Posted by tvBilly
    I also use a Mac, and have installed and used AvantGo for almost a year. On almost every flight I take, I over-the-air download the New York Times and the Washington Post, and NY1 News, and Reuters, and a bunch of other stuff before I take off. I have NEVER done a PC (or Mac) hotsync to get the data, I have ALWAYS done it over-the-air on my Treo600.

And then I read all the stuff while I'm flying somewhere. In this scenario, I have turned off the Wireless mode of the Treo600 (I'm in the air flying!), and everything works just fine. The times I am on the ground, with Wireless Mode turned on, I frequently don't want AvantGo to check every page on-line (which takes longer), so I do exactly what "Fofer" said in his message to you above, "all you have to do is go to the "Channel" menu and select "Work Offline.".

I don't understand why this doesn't work for you (or even which part doesn't work for you), but I can confirm that AvantGo works just fine for me, and for (almost?) everyone else this way.

Bill S

Bill, Gecko, Fofer,

I did a clean install on a fresh device. Just the wireless apps.

Did the "work offline". This time, it appears to be working.

Looks like I got it to work, although it sure is funky. It's not the normal interface when working off-line. You always have to go to channel manager to browse content (as opposed to home).

But is does work. I guess the other two devices had some issue.

I take back my words; there was likely something wierd with the other devices.

It works.

Mea cupla, etc.

Thank you for the assistance.

P.S. I am actually reviewing all the channels to see which have any value...maybe a later post.
    Hmmmmm. I was on old school Avantgo user also back with my m100. I loved it. I just rediscovered the latest version of the app for my Treo and loved it yesterday then hated it as soon as syncing caused endless crashes. After reading around I got the bright idea to turn off sync to card. Now it works again.

I find that true web browsing on the Treo is a big P I T A. Super slow, lost connections, it takes 10 times longer than calling 411 or going home to get the laptop, but yeah it comes in handy all the time. This new version of AG that I installed yesterday wirelesly syncs and the stories are all still there even with wireless mode off. I dont think Ill ever die of boredom in a waiting room again. Im still hunting around for some cool AG "channels." Hopefully it has more use than just a wireless news reader.
    -Ian
    Bill, Gecko, Fofer,

I did a clean install on a fresh device. Just the wireless apps.

Did the "work offline". This time, it appears to be working.

Looks like I got it to work, although it sure is funky. It's not the normal interface when working off-line. You always have to go to channel manager to browse content (as opposed to home).

But is does work. I guess the other two devices had some issue.

I take back my words; there was likely something wierd with the other devices.

It works.

Mea cupla, etc.

Thank you for the assistance.

P.S. I am actually reviewing all the channels to see which have any value...maybe a later post.
    Not sure what's going on with your setup, but wireless or no wireless - desktop sync or no desktop sync - it's the same UI. You should not have to go to channel manager to view offline content.
  16.    #36  
    FYI, I turned in help tickets to both AvantGo and Vindigo.
    AG has not responded yet
    Vindigo wants copies of my sync logs
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Is it available through Sprint's online software store? How much memory is it going to take (on average)? I've really wanted something that will give me access to various cities' restaurants, movies, things like that. Handmark Express seemed to give me a lot of this, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted I suppose I should try Vindigo.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  18.    #38  
    Looks like it's taking about 2733K + another 70 K for prefs and such. I have 2 cities loaded though....Dallas and Houston.
    www.vindigo.com

Edit: Vindigo's website shows Dallas as taking 964K while Houston is 969K
    "Total file size for your channels (including Vindigo application): 2419 K"
    I think the descrepancy is due to the 512 K blocks of memory used by the Palm OS. You can trim this down by not including everything (like Bathrooms, Museums, and such.)
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    How much memory is it going to take (on average)? I've really wanted something that will give me access to various cities' restaurants, movies, things like that. Handmark Express seemed to give me a lot of this, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted I suppose I should try Vindigo.
    Vindigo (www.vindigo.com) just for City of San Francisco is about 1.4MB total. That's on a Treo 600 - figure up to 33% MORE bloat over that on a 650 because of the memory problems of the 650. I find Vindigo really helpful finding obscure streets and addresses, getting reviews on unknown restaurants, and expecially movie times and reviews. Even though you pay a subscription fee you will still get stupid ads tossed at you and at the bottom of every screen, quite annoying.

I really liked Handmark Express but had to kill it because I couldn't justify spending the heavy subscription fee, plus it just wouldn't fit on the Treo 600 without killing off or working around many of it's memory-intensive components. I had hoped to try it again when I had my 650, but considering the fact Handmark recommends 8MB free and the 650 really only has 16MB total because of the NVFS overhead - I didn't spend $651.00 on the Treo 650 to blow half the total memory hosting Handmark Express. Vindigo's really the only game in town until higher-memory Treos finally come out (2007?).
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Yeah, my vindigo seems to disappear every couple of weeks.
    I get the impression they don't do a whole lot of ugrading the app these days, given the fact that it doesn't support the 5-way nav button.
    Maybe we can get an update someday....
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast