1.    #1  
    Is it just me or does anyone else find TakePhone impossibly non-intuitive.
    And Slow!
    One reason I got it was because I have a couple thousand records in contacts and need to search by company not just name, so I get it that searching by anything else than the original contacts search fields (ie: turbo mode) is going to be slower, but it's almost unuseable because of other behaviour that combines with this. when the interface comes up its several seconds before it even accepts a keystroke, and then it delays several seconds between each keystroke when trying to type in the first few letters of the search criteria.

Then, when i finally does complete and present you with a list of findings, I would expect to use the nav pad to select one of the findings, hit the center button and have it either start dialing or present me with a list of phone numbers for that contact, then use nav-pad and center button to select & dial one of them.

Instead I don't know what the heck it's doing or expects me to do. I highlight a name and hit the center button and it says "searching..." for 10 seconds again.

Extremely frustrating when I am on the move and can't devote lots of attention to playing with my phone, I end up having to scratch the call altogether until later.

Is there some other app that is more sensible, smoother? Or can this one be customized so I can make it do what I think it should?
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
    I agree that TP takes a fair amount of getting used to. Some folks seem to really like it, but I don't find it particularly intuitive. That said, it has enough features that, once I am getting used to it, I may be able to ditch my 3rd party address app. If Shimon reads this, there are a few issues I'd like addressed with the most recent 6.5(19):

1. Hi-res icons. A major enhancement on the 650 is the screen and I'm hoping icons will be updated to take advantage of this.

2. Smaller font support. With the hi-res screen comes an easy option to have the call log, favorites list, and everything else, display in small and tiny fonts so users can see a LOT more on every screen. Allowing this to be customizable is ideal.

3. Dpad support in the preferences screens. Ideally not a place you spend that much time, but we really ought to be able to navigate the pref pop-ups and check boxes with the Dpad and not just move between pref screens.

BTW, I'm a registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYofR
    One reason I got it was because I have a couple thousand records in contacts and need to search by company not just name, so I get it that searching by anything else than the original contacts search fields (ie: turbo mode) is going to be slower, but it's almost unuseable because of other behaviour that combines with this. when the interface comes up its several seconds before it even accepts a keystroke, and then it delays several seconds between each keystroke when trying to type in the first few letters of the search criteria.
    In general Takephone works very well for the situation you have outlined, the exception being that you have a contact list in the thousands. I have a contact list of a few hundred and Takephone is quite fast. You could try contacting the developer (he is quite responsive) to see if he can work with you to make Takephone faster for cases where the user has an unusually large contact list. Also, hopefully someone will come along and offer another suggestion for an app that works better with large contact lists.

I know that right now (understandably) speed is the central issue for you. If that gets sorted out and you still find Takephone unintuative, you can always post any of your questions about it here (or better yet in the Takephone thread in the developers section). Many of us have been using takephone for quite sometime, and would be happy to help.
    The 6.50 beta is fantastic. I bought the program a year ago but I didn't like the searching. However, Shimon is certainly one of the most commited developers here. He just keeps going and going.

Maybe he can help you. With thousands of records you might be better off with a T650 and a faster processor. 100 mhz isn't much without an index and I don't know of many apps that index Company name.

Derek
    Hi,

First - thanks for trying out TAKEphONE.

Allow me to address the speed issue first - are you by chance using version 6.00 on the Treo 650 ?
    If so - then I strongly recommend you install the latest Treo 650 beta (6.50 b019) - it should work much faster, and allow you to use the OK button.

If you uncheck "Remember last search" option you will not have to wait when starting.

Regarding hi-res - I will be adding hi-res icons & skins soon.

Thanks !
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    works fast for me. shimon i have been trying both 2day and takephone for about 4days and so far ilike what i see .when i go to purchase im just wondering if there is a bundle price for getting both at same time?
    JOEL
    Allow me to address the speed issue first - are you by chance using version 6.00 on the Treo 650 ?
    If so - then I strongly recommend you install the latest Treo 650 beta (6.50 b019) - it should work much faster, and allow you to use the OK button

What is the "OK" button used for?
  8.    #8  
    I DO have a 650, I had a 600 for over a year and now a 650

And I didn't just try takephone I bought it a long time ago because I really want to search by company and not change my unix app export to put the company name into one of the name fields.

And I think I may have inadvertantly fixed the speed thing.

I just installed one of shadowmites custom roms, which alng the way requires a hard reset.

I reinstalled takephone from the web just as a matter of course. Now it comes up by default to a different looking screen than before and is ready to accept keystrokes almost instantly and lets me type the whole word in at once and returns with a sensible list in under a second (wow) even though I'm not in "turbo" mode (searching by last,first,company) and I can use the nav pad to select and dial one of the search results all pretty much exactly as I would expect.

I thought at first that the reset & reinstall had just cleared some menu options that I must have chosen that caused it to be slow and set things back to defaults. But now from above I guess it's because I got a newer version that's had some work done on it.

Either way, I'm very happy so thanks a lot for TakePhone.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Grindell
    If so - then I strongly recommend you install the latest Treo 650 beta (6.50 b019) - it should work much faster, and allow you to use the OK button

What is the "OK" button used for?
    The center 5-way button.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Quote Originally Posted by specbz
    works fast for me. shimon i have been trying both 2day and takephone for about 4days and so far ilike what i see .when i go to purchase im just wondering if there is a bundle price for getting both at same time?
    JOEL
    Thanks !

I have tried making a bundle, but it seems with all the contracts I signed with various ESDs real possible to not worth it...

Sorry...
    Shimon Shnitzer