1.    #1  
    Just in case no one noticed, Seidio is finally shipping the Treo650 versions of their G2500x/G2100x all-in-one car kits.

I've been checking the site daily for weeks and 3 days ago it finally became orderable, but I forgot to tell everyone else.

http://www.seidioonline.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=417

Enjoy.
    Mine is already on the way, along with their own gps receiver that plugs in to it and mapopolis from mapopolis.

Once I get set up I'll say if it sucks or not.
    I'm kind tired of having the phone just kinda lying around loose in the car and having one or two wires laying around all the time for the audio line-in to the stereo and the charger so I've been waiting for this thing anxiously.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
    Key-

I haqve been looking at this solution as well. I would love some feedback as to how it all worked out (assuming you have received the parts by now).

Any comments ?

TIA

-X
  3.    #3  
    Seidio *just* eamiled me today that they shipped it today.

I'm worried though... I bought their gps receiver that plugs right into the cradle.
    But *after* I had already placed my order, their website description changed slightly to say "bluetooth only"

It doesn't say bluetooth only *what*? The gps that I already paid $90 for is not bluetooth and what else could they possibly be talking about?

I will be exceedingly unhappy if this thing doesn't work after all this waiting and not buying any of several other alternate approaches that would have been pretty good, and I could have had them in & running months ago.

Yeah, just a little irate I think. And when they try to tell me I have to ship the stuff back on my nickle and/or won't get the original shipping back either... Let's just say I have a flexible schedule, and a fast car, and can probably find my way to their headquerters even though my GPS won't be working since I'll be sufficiently motivated.
    Code:
    I'm thinking you'll be making a road trip soon. What kinda car you got?
  5.    #5  
    Nice fun little '92 Miata.
    Since I haven't decided whether I want the turbo kit or the blower kit, it's still mostly stock (although in ideal shape) so it's not actually all that fast. It just feels it cuz it's so small and close to the ground.

*sigh* rather than do without or waste more money on some other gps I won't like since I just don't want to use bluetooth for that, I guess I'll probably hack in whatever connections are missing from the unit I get and void my warrantee but get what I want. I don't think it needs much or anything in the way of circuitry, just connections. It might need a usb/serial translator, that'd suck a little but it's doable.

What'll suck is that by the time I get that done, they'll have started shipping what they should have shipped originally.

Probably for the same price too.

Which btw is already $10 more than what they'd been advertizing for a month before it was actually available.
    Code:
    OMG!!! I miss my '97 Miata STO so much! (STO's were the last 1500 numbered special edition of the M1 body style ever made.) I know what you mean by low to the ground and feeling fast. Of course @ 2300 lbs that 133 HP was pretty quick anyway.

Some ***** in a Jeep Grand Cherokee made a left in front of me and totalled my baby. *Sniff* *Sniff*

Now I'm about to sell my 4-Runner and get a G35 coupe and slap in a HF Kit w/ GPS myself.
  7.    #7  
    sure enough the *&^sterds.....
    I think it's absolutely unacceptable that they'd have very unambiguous descriptions of this thing on their web site for months, And then at the last second when they start shipping them, they raise the price 10 bucks and and add "bluetooth only" to the description.

This thing should be a completely different model number.

There is not a single connection to any of the data pins (I looked inside) yet, they supply power to the rj11 jack that their seidio brand gps plugs in to.

What a crock of ..... calling it bluetooth only! What has the units lack of gps connection have to do with bluetooth? The pack of breath mints I keep in the ash tray doesn't have any gps connectors either. I guess they are bluetooth only breath mints.

Screw it, lets grant that lame as it is, they did document the fact on their web site.

What about the several places that clearly claim that the G2100M has a microphone switch to select between headset/mp3 use? There is no switch. Maybe the 650 doesn't need it like the 600 did. I wouldn't know because the thing came with no more docmentation than a slip of paper with basically a picture of everything and a line for each item that says "this is the audio out jack. it is used for hooking to your stereo"

Duhh!

Nothing says what pins do what on the rj11 jack nor the corresponding plug on the gps receiver. How could I use the gps receiver if I had just purchased it by itself and they don't say what pins do what?

The Ads clearly state that the G2100M has a built-in mic and even show it in pictures. BZZT! No built-in mic. There is a jack and a mic with a long wire & a plug. Excuse me but Yuck? The reason to get a cradle like this is to eliminate wires like that. Besides which, aesthetical tastes aside (which of course are subjective and vary), a mic on a long wire is NOT what I agreed to by reading the ads and saying "Yeah, gimme that."

And they used a 2.5mm jack for the stereo out! Idiots! The only reason the treo has that is because there is no room, you can use a colossally more standard 1/8" jack in the cradle and the cables are so common they are in grocery stores.

It does still do a lot that is good, it provides a way to build-in wiring to power the treo and connect the audio more conveniently and more neatly than loose cables. And the suction base, stiff flex arm mount is good and stiff and the suction base has a latch that pulls on the suction cup to lock it down good.

But that's all it does.

This thing should be given a different model number entirely and it's features described clearly instead of LYING and it should cost about $49 not $89.
    Under those terms I could recommend it.

For me, the parts it does happen to have are the most important to me and on top of that, no one else anywhere has any other cradle for the 650 yet anyway so I'd still get it and am keeping the one I got even though I feel I got it under false pretenses and paid enough to get the unit I THOUGHT I was getting. Looking inside at the circuit I feel I have a reasonable chance at providing the connections necessary for the gps to work even if there is some issue with the treo's 3.3v serial and the TTL the gps claims to need.

I'm really REALLY unhappy with Seidio.
    Last edited by KEYofR; 01/15/2005 at 11:47 PM.
    Code:
  8.    #8  
    Welp...
    I used the following reference to find out which pins on the treo are the serial connection:
    http://www.shadowmite.com/650serial.html

The gps unit cable ends in a 6-conductor rj11 but the cradle jack only has the middle 4 pins. Two deliver power to the unit, and the two remaining go to two obvious points on the circuit board next to the other wires that go over to the cradle bottom for power & audio. They are even nicely labeled TX and RX.

I made the obvious connections and then reversed them. Couldn't get Mapopolis to see the gps either way.

Guess I need some more info from Seidio or Mapopolis.

These pics are fuzzy because neither my camera nor the treo takes good close-up shots. The treo is actually a little better so these are with the 650.

One is the data connector, at least all the pins are there for me to work with.
    The other is the little header where wires connect from the treo socket to the circuit board. The two empty spots are labled tx and rx and I verified with an ohmmeter which pins on the rj11 (grey block to the right) they go to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KEYofR; 01/16/2005 at 02:56 PM.
    Code:
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYofR
    Welp...
    I used the following reference to find out which pins on the treo are the serial connection:
    http://www.shadowmite.com/650serial.html

The gps unit cable ends in a 6-conductor rj11 but the cradle jack only has the middle 4 pins. Two deliver power to the unit, and the two remaining go to two obvious points on the circuit board next to the other wires that go over to the cradle bottom for power & audio. They are even nicely labeled TX and RX.

I made the obvious connections and then reversed them. Couldn't get Mapopolis to see the gps either way.

Guess I need some more info from Seidio or Mapopolis.

These pics are fuzzy because neither my camera nor the treo takes good close-up shots. The treo is actually a little better so these are with the 650.

One is the data connector, at least all the pins are there for me to work with.
    The other is the little header where wires connect from the treo socket to the circuit board. The two empty spots are labled tx and rx and I verified with an ohmmeter which pins on the rj11 (grey block to the right) they go to.
    HI,

Sorry for the confusion you experienced during your purchase of G2100M for Treo 650. I understand your disappointment. What you need is G2100M which can work with wired GPS receiver . We are still working on this version and should be out before long. please contact rma@seidio.com to return the products. I will take care of this. When the version which can work with wired receiver is out, I will let you know.

As to the pin out for RJ-11 on our cradle, I will email you through private message

Sorry again, please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

David Chang
    Product Marketing Manager
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com