Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I answered my phone today and it was someone calling me about a much needed job, suddenly my other line beeps and out comes "Brick House" by the commodores blaring from the Treo speaker... What gives? I thought ringers are not supposed to ring out loud when you are already on a phone call. I was so embarassed! The woman promptly said she would call back and hung up and that was about6 hours ago...

FYI I have phone technician installed for my MP3 ringers. I know alot of programs suppress alarms while you are on a call but are there any that suppress actual ringers??! I have only been using Technician for about a week and was ready to buy it, cause this never happened before, and I really dont want it to happen again. Which one is better that doesnt cost an arm and a leg?

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Lightwav. But search around.. There are mixed opinions on it. (I like that it lets me set the volume to 100% but after the ringer, it puts the volume back to whatever it was)
  3.    #3  
    Phone Technician is the same way, but it puts the ringer back to 0 and then raises it for the mp3/wav to be played. I don't mind that as long as I can hear it.

The thing is I cant use Lightwav... It causes my phone to soft reset EVERY time the phone rings or has an SMS message. I like Lightwav alot and have tried the last 2 versions and even the beta version, on the 2 different Treos i had, and still get the soft reset problem. Which is why I went to Phone Technician...

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    How awful for you and the job opportunity.
    Could have been worse... could have played: "Erotic City".

Or worse yet, that old country song: "Take This Job and Shove It".
    ~'kito
    i feel sorry for you.

also, i have the Lightwav and how do i set in order to not ring while on the phone?
    Hang in there. But you know that's a funny story. (Maybe its time for a lil elevator music.) jk
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    yea that kinda sucks...
    because of this software i have missed several important calls
    anyway, rest assure that if the job is for u , u'll get it no matter what.
    Blessed beyond measure!
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    thats funny. my friend and I were in church and and his ringer came on some Too Short came on... VERY inappropriate in church...but funny.
    ~Steve
    Get @ me
  9.    #9  
    Wow... Well good news after all, I got an offer for a job I interviewed with earlier in the week. YAY! Ayana I surely agree with you, what God has for me is for me. I guess I got pretty frustrated at the time though. But now I can laugh at it looking back...

Hypesteve, that story reminds me of the time another pal of mine had her phone go off in bible study sinigng "I got 99 problems and a b.... aint one" Man oh man... And that is all I have to say about that.

I am still on the hunt for another wav/mp3 ringer app though... Lightwav and Phone Technician are off my list. Are there any others?

-=-=-
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Hi there, Dickie posted this issue at my forum at MTDN. Really sorry you lost the call at the top. Here is my reply there...

Hi Dickie

that makes sense, phone technician doesn't ring if you're already on a call. However it keeps track of whether or not you're on a call by looking for start/end events.

so after your first call hangs up, phone technician things you are no longer on a call - hence screen off and not-ringing won't work as expected.

this is on my buglist - but to be honest, I suspect it's very rare, so it isn't a high priority to fix.

Enjoy!

--Do you think this was the issue?
    --Also, am I wrong about this being rare?
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    Tech,

Congratulations on the job offer. And yes, God is good!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    [QUOTE=confusedvorlon]

that makes sense, phone technician doesn't ring if you're already on a call.

QUOTE]

CV, I just want to confirm this. Your description at hobbyist software says phone technician prevents ALARMS from sounding during a phone call. Alarms include phone calls?

If incoming calls don't ring when you're on a call, is there any other indication that you have an incoming call, like the call waiting sound on a land-line phone?

Thanks,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Techprincess:

I'm glad you got the job offer, but I have a question or two for you and your friend:

If your ring-tone is embarassing when it rings while you're talking on the phone, why is it okay the rest of the time? If you don't want a potential employer to hear the tune, why do you inflict it on people near you at work, in restaurants, on the bus, or wherever? And if your friend doesn't want Christians in her bible study class hearing "I got 99 problems and a b.... aint one," then why does she think it's okay to play it around other people, who might also be offended by it?

Is it okay to offend strangers, but not people you know? Or is there some other rationalization? I wish people would think about ring-tone choices before selecting them. If you wouldn't want your mother, or child, or minister / imam / rabbi hearing them, then don't inflict them on other mothers, children and clergy. If it would embarass you going off around people you know, then you should be just as embarassed when it goes aff around people you don't.
    Bob Meyer
    That logic doesn't really hold water.

Some things are simply inappropriate sometimes and yet fine the rest of the time. For one example, just look at all the things you do and say sometimes that are not wrong at all, and yet you really should not do near kids?

As for the job offer. I think the answer there is almost like what you suggest but with slightly different reasoning behind it.

I think your phones ring, now that they are customizable, falls in with your clothing and other facets of your personal presentation. Some people don't need to look professional all the time and can wear jeans & t-shirts etc...
    A "less than professional" ringtone on their phone would never be a problem.

If you have to (or feel you have to) present a professional appearance in other areas, then your ringtone is just another facet of that and so it should be something a little more innocuous.

My personal twist on that though is that, rather than be embarassed, make sure you really like whatever you pick, and then don't be embarrassed no matter when it rings or who hears it. At some point it becomes a case of not being willing to extinguish every last scrap of whimsy from your life for the sake of random strangers who are just soulless and don't deserve your worry.

Sure, some peoples rings annoy me, basically ALL rings that are songs sound incredibly stupid and childish to me. So you like <insert boy band>? So what? You like them so much you need to hear a crappy scratchy tinny audio version coming out of your phone every few minutes all day? Your home entertainment system and your car stereo and your ipod (or treo with ptunes & headphones in our case) isn't enough? You think when it rings other people around you go "Ooh that's so cooool."? I can't stand <insert boy band>. And reciprocally, I feel no great need to inflict my latest favorite metal-head noise on you either, nor my latest favorite goofy filk tune. (filk is not misspelled) But that's just me and I know it. Mine chirps like a bird. It's fun and yet not a gratuitous advertizement for my favorite band that no one else gives a crap about. I might use music though in a different way. I think I'm going to record some short guitar riffs of my own. Not songs, just some little 2-3 second things that function like rings.

All that said, if you really like your phone to ring with Brick House, then really, all in all, this whole nonsense is beneath being worried about. By now everyone is more than a little familiar with the quirks of all of our bits of tech. Things are beeping or failing to beep at the wrong time all the time. It's beneath notice. Your phone explodes in your hand, you call the person back later and go "yeah my stupid phone exploded so anyway you were saying about the ..." and move right on past it like the nothing that it is.

Which, from reading your later posts, it worked out fine just so.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
    The problem with saying some things are appropriate sometimes, and not others, is that you can't predict when and where your phone goes off, and who's going to be around. In any public place, other than a bar (maybe), there can be people around who will be offended by what you say, what you do, and what your phone ringer is.

If you want to use an obnoxious or offensive ringer in the privacy of your own house, that's none of my business. But if you have a ringer that's inappropriate for use around children, church, bosses (or potential bosses), then it's inappropriate in any place where those people might be.

If you don't want your boss to hear it at work, then you shouldn't want your boss to hear it if he happens to run into you at a restaurant and your phone goes off. If more mobile phone users (heck, more people in general) were a bit more concerned with the feelings of others, the world would be a heck of a lot better off. Or at least a little less annoying.
    Bob Meyer
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb

CV, I just want to confirm this. Your description at hobbyist software says phone technician prevents ALARMS from sounding during a phone call. Alarms include phone calls?

If incoming calls don't ring when you're on a call, is there any other indication that you have an incoming call, like the call waiting sound on a land-line phone?

Thanks,
    there is an option to turn off alarms - that is something seperate.
    When calls come in, PT tries to leave the standard treo functionality- it just lets the treo beep (twice I think) and doesn't play the ringtone.
    Sometimes (as described above) PT plays the ringtone - where the normal treo functionality would have been just the beeps.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    You all took this to an unneccesary level. I think what Techprincesse meant is that it was embarrasing not neccesarily because of the ringtone, but that just it was an unexpected outburst on her phone in the middle of the important conversation (that just happened to be the song brick house).
    It isn't a matter of if the ringtone is appropriate or not, because I"m sure if she had a normal ring, it would still be embarrasing as well.
    Blessed beyond measure!
  18.    #18  
    Once again Ayana, you are right on point. "Brick House" is not obscene or embarassing to me, I cant speak for the other chick from church as her ringers are her own business. Its the fact that it was blaring in my AND the rep's ear at the time unecessarily. It could have been Fur Elise or Bethovens 5th for all I care... Keep in mind the Treo 600 mic is in the BACK of the unit as is the speaker which most people keep their ringer on full blast, especially when driving as I was. I dont know how it sounded to the Rep, but to me it was pretty loud.

Everyone has their own preference, as you do as well. and back to the original request, what else is there as far as WAV/MP3 ringtone managers besides PT and Lightwav?

-=-=-
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    you want embarassing...alright: This summer before the Canadian Federal Election, party members were going from door to door giving out information on the party. It just so happend that as i pulled into my driveway, a party member was there. She came to my car, and she started talking to me...which is fine of course...and well then i got a SMS or something like that, ie a notification. It just so happens that at that moment my notifcation noise was from Euro Trip "Beep beep mail mother &^#&%" Im brown. Its hard for me to go red but i went red big time! i forgot to switch the phone to silent, and well i starting appologizing like crazy I said "sorry it was from a movie i liked" in which she replied "it must have been a very good movie" we both laughed

as for your issue, i have my Call waiting disabled completely (i hate it so much)..but when im on the phone and what not, all my notifications are a background beep in the earpiece and not the speaker...that is really odd. (im using PT 2.3 and LW 3.xx)
    Quote Originally Posted by techprincesse

Hypesteve, that story reminds me of the time another pal of mine had her phone go off in bible study sinigng "I got 99 problems and a b.... aint one" Man oh man... And that is all I have to say about that.
    I guess it's good they were in church. Your friend needs prayer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast