Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, last year I made a list of predicitons for 2004 and came quite close on a number of items, so I thought I'ld continue the tradition and try my hand at prognostication once again!

1. PalmOne will finally release an update patch for the Treo 650, but it will only address the 512 KB NVFS issue. Further rom updates will be much longer in the future.
    2. Unfortunately PalmOne will also issue a 'fix' in the Rom update to break the rom customizations done via all the Treo hacking courtousy of Shadowmite and etc.
    3. Treo 600 will continue to remain in market for some time leading well into 2005. However the price point of the T600 will still not approach $200 mark many are hoping.
    4. This time Sprint really does release is LBS (location based services) that enable access to the integrated AGPS functionality of the Treo. Unfortunately, it will only be accessible via java plugin
    5. Sprint will release later in 2005 a rom update to unlock the PTT or RL features in the Treo 650.
    6. Most GSM carriers in US and rest world will finally launch GSM Treo 650 by late Febuary to March. Verizon won't launch Treo 650 for another 4-6 months as usual.
    7. Treo 650 market share improves upon Treo 600 penetration especially in Europe (where penetration was small to begin wtih) b/c of addition of features like BT and high rez screen. Unfortunately, US market share remains stagnant and does not exceed expectations b/c of increased competion.
    8. PalmOne NEVER releases official SD wifi drivers for the Treo 650. Instead 3rd party devs like C-guys etc take lead and release their own version to supplament cracked dirvers from shadowmite.
    9. Sprint releases Rom update to 'fix' BT profile to allow DUN, but also updates plans to charge for this service.
    10. PalmOne sticks to year-long product cycle to launch next gen Treo in late 2005 similar to pattern for Treo 600 and etc. Next Gen Treo will have only incrimental upgrades as indicated by past PalmOne history. New features include integrated jump drive funcitonality of T5 (256 MB+ of Nand storage) but alas no integrated HD, higher dual MP digicams or swivel cam for video conferencing support, CDMA 1xEvDo support as well as UMTS support, updated BT profiles and etc. Palmone will again tweak form factor/keyboard and finally remove antenna stub.
    11. PalmOne will offer SD wifi card drivers for next gen treo only, but will NOT integrate wifi b/c of integration of 3G WAN into next gen Treos. Treo users will again b!tch and complain about lack of features and curse PalmOne.
    12. By late 2005 Palmone will also finally release low end Treo sereis for ~$200 USD price point. Specs will basically be repackaged legacy specs found in earlier Treo gen but in more consumer friendly mold in pattern of low end Zire line. Treo users scoff and b!tch again but Palmone actually makes money on this
    13. PalmOne experiments and actually releases a non-thumbboard Treo model for low end! Model may instead have slide out numeric keypad similar design of other handsets.
    14. PalmOne does NOT release Cobalt based Treo in 2005 despite angst of Treo and overall PalmOS community. However, PalmOS for Linux may be released on Treo line completely bypassing Cobalt. Rumors of Windows Mobile Treo never actually materialize.

So what do ya'll think? The predictions aren't that far fetched this time...probably because I don't have that much faith in PalmOne anymore! Considering their recent history with the T5 and etc, I figure it would be wise to not get hopes to high. Also, I seriously doubt PalmOne will ever release a Cobalt based devie in 2005. In fact, I bet the first lisencee to release a Cobalt based handheld will NOT be PalmOne and probably be an Asian based smartphone maker perhaps....

Anway, does anyone want to comment on this predictions... or better yet, list your own predicitons!!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I think you have too much time on your hands

I agree with most of your predictions, except for the low end model. Too much investment, for a low end model, when they can just push the existing Treo 600 down the line.

Also Treo 600 should be terminated soon, as most all carriers and delearships are having "clearance" to get rid of them. Not to mention the recent huge flood on eBay of them, selling as low as $300USD for a brand new T600, unlocked (and no contract!).

That is it for Treo this year. I think next year, they'll have a 700-series with new innovation (full size screen), but they won't invest anymore into lower grade. Doesn't make sense. Just evolve T5 into a Treo.. that's what I would do.

In fact, that's pretty much what they've been doing. Using has-been parts from Palm PDAs, and incorporating them into Treos. T600 had low res-screen, from their older models. T650 has high-res screen, first found in Tungsten T2 from a couple years back. So maybe next year or so, you'll see a full-size screen.
    gfunk --

Great list! I have to agree with your feelings on these things happening based on your track record.

My only hope is that #10 will have a different outcome. I think the next Treo will be a quantum leap like the the 600 was over the 270/300. P1 can't rest on their past success as other smartphones will come to the market having been built on the success of the Treo.

And, M$ is lurking out there and one of these days will come up with something that works ... just like those infinite monkeys typing on infinite typewriters (that dates me, ugh!) and one of them spits out War and Peace.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Um, nothing personal, but I went back and looked at your predictions for last year, and I think very few of them were on the mark.

Nonetheless, based on history, I'm afraid I have to agree with numbers 1, 8, 9, 10 and 11. And I'll add to # 10 that the new model will be buggy as hell.

My # 15 : As a result of all of these things, Palm loses even more market share to MS, and by the beginning of 2006 is a marginal player in the smartphone and PDA markets.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by O1Coupe
    That is it for Treo this year. I think next year, they'll have a 700-series with new innovation (full size screen), but they won't invest anymore into lower grade. Doesn't make sense. Just evolve T5 into a Treo.. that's what I would do.

In fact, that's pretty much what they've been doing. Using has-been parts from Palm PDAs, and incorporating them into Treos. T600 had low res-screen, from their older models. T650 has high-res screen, first found in Tungsten T2 from a couple years back. So maybe next year or so, you'll see a full-size screen.
    I seriously doubt you'll see bigger screen than what we've got. To most phone users, the Treo already seems way to big. I can't imaging Palm doing anything that would make it bigger.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by O1Coupe

I disagree. I think a lower end Treo is huge void in PalmOne's smartphone lineup. I think it's extremely important for PalmOne to release a model close tothe $200 USD price point if it really wants to increase market penetration. I think this is really the golden price point for all mobiles to encourage mass adoption....

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    My only hope is that #10 will have a different outcome. I think the next Treo will be a quantum leap like the the 600 was over the 270/300. P1 can't rest on their past success as other smartphones will come to the market having been built on the success of the Treo.
    I would like to believe this as well, but PalmOne's history is to play more to the vest imo. Also, I think in PalmOne's opinion, a major upgrade is veiwed in terms of the radio funtionality...that is upgrae to 3G (1xEvDo/UMTS)...

8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Um, nothing personal, but I went back and looked at your predictions for last year, and I think very few of them were on the mark.
    HUH? I got over half right last year and even predicted that PalmOne would use NVFS!!

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Verizon won't launch Treo 650 for another 4-6 months as usual.
    Well i have a friend who works at Verizon and he mentioned that his store will be getting this phone late jan, or early feb. However I wouldnt want Verizon on my treo 650 because of the data cost
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    [list=1][*]PalmOne will finally release an update patch for the Treo 650, but it will only address the 512 KB NVFS issue. Further rom updates will be much longer in the future.[*]Unfortunately PalmOne will also issue a 'fix' in the Rom update to break the rom customizations done via all the Treo hacking courtousy of Shadowmite and etc.
    You forgot: PalmOne will issue a ROM fix for the microphone problem, which will fix some phones and break others.
    I disagree. I think a lower end Treo is huge void in PalmOne's smartphone lineup. I think it's extremely important for PalmOne to release a model close tothe $200 USD price point if it really wants to increase market penetration. I think this is really the golden price point for all mobiles to encourage mass adoption....
    Agree on this one. Not that they necessarily will pull it off, but they NEED to. The 600, while the price will go down in "clearance" sales, is not the low-end device they need. It needs to be $200 or under, rugged, simple, ***** proof and do push email. Sounds a lot like a BB!
    Unfortunately, I'm agreeing with virtually all of gfunkmagic's predictions. I do have a minor one to add though.

15. Treo integration with Blackberry Enterprise Server causes hugh spike in sales to Enterprises for the short term when released.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    gfunk seems to be dead on with the low end model idea, read bargainpda's article: http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2367
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    ...My # 15 : As a result of all of these things, Palm loses even more market share to MS, and by the beginning of 2006 is a marginal player in the smartphone and PDA markets.

I have to wonder about Palm's market share. I am a lone user of a Treo 600 in a BlackBerry firm. (I even had to pay for my own Goodlink license to do so!) Yet, my firm has decided to not only switch over to the Treo, but to bypass the 600 entirely and go for the 650. Needless to say, given all that I have learned about the 650 on TC, it is a decision that I cannot support. However, I have to wonder about the rest of the market... if our random (and not entirely tech-savvy) mid-sized firm is making the switch, how many other companies are doing the same? I'm not worried about Palm's market share.
    SONY Z100 (Sprint) --> Motorola StarTac 7868 (Sprint) --> Handspring Visor Deluxe --> Motorola V8160 (Verizon) --> Blackberry 957 (Cingular w/ GoodLink) --> PalmOne Treo 600 (TMobile w/ GoodLink) --> Treo 650 (Unlocked GSM on TMobile) with HBH-662 BT Headset --> Treo 700 w/x (Sprint) with iGuidance V3 / GlobalSat BT-359W GPS
    I went to the Treo roadshow the guy said the new Treo will bunch out to high-end and low end models.

I guess the PalmOS6 model will have a new name like "zire" type. Personally I am guessing they will release the low-end model first. It's going to have more multi-media content intergrated. I don't know what will OS6 bring really. Animation avator call ID? I have that on my cheap Sony-Ericsson phone already.

So it could very well be a 72+phone type of smart phone, with colorful design. I don't know what can they cripple to make it cheaper but PalmOne will cut corner somewhere. Personally I really like that chinese-based 240X160 keyboard-less Palm phone. I hope PalmOne make something like that, with the mini-SD card or something. But from the tons of Treo prototypes (also seen on the roadshow) Palm never made a keyboardless prototype. So I would't be surprise if Palm release a iPod-sized entry level model.

Yeah the high-re digicam is a given but it's not hgoing to be a stunner. I hope they won't take out the antenna. I love the mini-*****-sized antenna.

edit: what's in this "Cobalt " that so great that you can't do on your 650 right now? If they have wifi driver I think the 650 is perfect. Can somebody explain it to me
    Last edited by whatever7; 01/08/2005 at 06:02 AM.
    I predict more video functionality in the next treo, which means a built in video player app that plays standard formats, including an easier way to transfer videos to your treo than hotsyncing or using a card reader.

And if they decide to do the big innovative leap, then add a built in hard drive, update BT to support keyboards, etc., and *now the hard part* support video out. Now your work computer is your treo. Unplug after work and go. I'm not betting on this second prediction, just the first one.

Clue
    Two more predictions:

XM or Sirius radio tuner capability through sprint pcs.

Enabling phone calls to come through while using data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    Two more predictions:

Enabling phone calls to come through while using data.
    I dont think this part is a good idea.

Gfunk you had good predictions last year, some of the new ones will be close.
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
    What don't you like about letting phone calls in? Perhaps they could allow users to choose "interrupt me during data" or "don't interrupt me during data". Would that work elbombillo2?
    They need a low end Treo to compete with the Blackberry 7100...it's going for as low as $150. Funky keyboard, and all the blackberry limitations, but the price will win a lot of converts who do mostly email.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast