Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why am I getting duplicates, even triplicates on both my Mac G5 running Panther 10.3.7 and the my new Treo 650...but only in the Date Book? I upgraded from a Handspring Prism and I have calendar entries going back to 1994!! With much frustration I finally had to manually delete of all of them on the Treo and on the Mac (iCal v. 1.1.5) but on subsequent syncs they keep coming back. I am using Palm Desktop software v. 4.2.1 and iSync v. 1.5 which syncs to iCal and Address Book.

Should I be using Missing Sync instead of the Palm Desktop software that came with the Treo? This Granny will be most grateful if someone can bail me out of this mess.
    Very strange. I have almost the same set-up with no issues, but then again, I am using Missing Sync. I have no idea if that would solve your problem but Missing Sync is light years ahead of the PalmSource software.

One thing you could try is deleting the PDA from the isync device list, and using the 'reset' devices option. I know I did this first when changing devices (wife's TT to 650) as a precaution.

Quote Originally Posted by techno125
    Why am I getting duplicates, even triplicates on both my Mac G5 running Panther 10.3.7 and the my new Treo 650...but only in the Date Book? I upgraded from a Handspring Prism and I have calendar entries going back to 1994!! With much frustration I finally had to manually delete of all of them on the Treo and on the Mac (iCal v. 1.1.5) but on subsequent syncs they keep coming back. I am using Palm Desktop software v. 4.2.1 and iSync v. 1.5 which syncs to iCal and Address Book.

Should I be using Missing Sync instead of the Palm Desktop software that came with the Treo? This Granny will be most grateful if someone can bail me out of this mess.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    I got duplicates with the same set up using Missing Sync. I have 800+ contacts and now they are all duplicated so there are 1600+!! The only thing I can think of is to manually go in and delete every other record. TEDIOUS!

Looking for a better way!
    No!!! Don't waste your time. Use UnDupe (Steven's Creek Software)......

Quote Originally Posted by meridian
    I got duplicates with the same set up using Missing Sync. I have 800+ contacts and now they are all duplicated so there are 1600+!! The only thing I can think of is to manually go in and delete every other record. TEDIOUS!

Looking for a better way!
    Well, first thing I'd do in that case is revert to my last sync (undo). Then I'd reset all devices and replace with data on the computer.

Mike
  6.    #6  
    I had already tried the UnDupe solution and it happened again. I can't reset to the device on my computer and the iCal app because the duplicates are there as well as on the Treo. I am wondering if categories are the problem. My calendar in iCal is "home" and the calendar in the Treo is unfiled.
    Not sure I understand what you are saying. You used UnDupe to emove all the duplicates on the handheld. This worked. Then you synced and everything doubled? If that is the case I would repeat the process but first delete the device in isync (and sync to .mac) to purge your computer of everything. Sync. Verify no dupes. Add device back to isync. Categories should not be a problem. You can choose which isync category to use for the handheld. Good luck. PM me and maybe we can walk through this....

Quote Originally Posted by techno125
    I had already tried the UnDupe solution and it happened again. I can't reset to the device on my computer and the iCal app because the duplicates are there as well as on the Treo. I am wondering if categories are the problem. My calendar in iCal is "home" and the calendar in the Treo is unfiled.
    I have no idea why you are getting these duplicates, I'm using iSync, the Palm Desktop software and the Treo 650 and not getting these. My recommendation is to go into iCal and the Mac Addressbook and remove all duplicates. The in iSync reset all devices with the Mac as the master. Then sync again. This should certainly fix any problem.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Are you sure that you have only one conduit running and syncing your datebook/address book? Any one conduit most likely wont create dupes - but if you have two running I can see a possibility. Maybe you sync with a 2nd computer or maybe you are using ActiveSync? Just some suggestions.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for ideas, rizky and bcaslis. I had already done all you suggested and I only had one conduit running. I sort of figured things out by myself and got it going right today and this is what worked for me. I am posting my process here just in case it might be of some assistance to someone else.

UnDupe was doing the job of removing the duplicates on the Treo 650 but when I re-synced they came back on both the Mac and the Treo. So I UnDuped again on the Treo, removing all duplicates, and then created a new blank/untitled calendar in iCal on the Mac. Next I deleted the "home" calendar in iCal which was showing all the dupes.

I uninstalled the Palm Desktop software and then installed the Mark/Space "Missing Sync" app which I had planned to do anyway. In the Missing Sync app there is an option to let the handheld (Treo) override the desktop. That was the option I needed as my Treo had just the single (not the dupes) calendar events on it. Then I chose the Backup conduit in Missing Sync to "do nothing" and finally synced the Treo and the Mac. I now have a calendar in iCal on my Mac called "untitled" and it has no dupes!! I think my problem was that the last backup in the Backup conduit in the Palm Desktop app was automatically putting back in all the multiple dupes whenever I re-synced. Does that make sense?

Thanks so much for everyone's interest and kind assistance...especially Ohmster who emailed me privately.
    I have had the same problem, dupes, and another one. The data on the Treo does not merge with the Mac, but the data from the Mac adds to the data on the Treo.

Since there is no way to reset the data on the treo, I forced .mac sync to take the mac data and then did the sync with the Treo. The Treo then became the same as .mac and the Mac.
  12. rdn
    If you're concerned about getting dupes back in iCal, make a new calendar in iCal, and designate that as the calendar to receive new events (those added by the treo). Then, if it's dupe-filled, search for any new events, change them to your existing categories, and delete the dupe-calendar. Make sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster
    No!!! Don't waste your time. Use UnDupe (Steven's Creek Software)......
    Thanks!

Just tried it on the Treo. Looking good. Gonna try a sync and see what happens.

Seems like I have to reenter the Undupe SN each time??

Doing a sync now with "Handheld Overwrites the Desktop" and fingers crossed!

Gadzooks! It Worked!!

THANKS!!!! You saved me from mucho misery!
    Last edited by meridian; 01/09/2005 at 12:29 PM.
    Are you guys saying that you are able to use iSync with the Treo? I am not able to? The cause may be that the Treo has the same name as my previous PDA. But, I tried to erase all files related to that PDA and reinstall the software- still unable to use iSync. I can use missing sync, though.

Thanks
    Glad to be of service. That's about 1 for me and a million+ for this forum. This place has been a livesaver for me in getting my wife's 650 'in line'.

Quote Originally Posted by meridian
    Thanks!

Just tried it on the Treo. Looking good. Gonna try a sync and see what happens.

Seems like I have to reenter the Undupe SN each time??

Doing a sync now with "Handheld Overwrites the Desktop" and fingers crossed!

Gadzooks! It Worked!!

THANKS!!!! You saved me from mucho misery!
    Absolutely; iSync works wonderfully with the Treo. It doesn't know otherwise as the conduit makes it pretty much transparent what device it is (I think). Anyway, you might want to remove the device from iSync and then add it back in. Be sure to delete everything in Address Book and iCal. iSync works fine with both the Palm Hotsync 'stuff' and Missing Sync.

Quote Originally Posted by surferboy
    Are you guys saying that you are able to use iSync with the Treo? I am not able to? The cause may be that the Treo has the same name as my previous PDA. But, I tried to erase all files related to that PDA and reinstall the software- still unable to use iSync. I can use missing sync, though.

Thanks
    I'm assuming you installed the new Treo software? If so, you do need to reinstall the iSync palm conduit before you can synch with iSync again.

Quote Originally Posted by surferboy

Thanks
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I'm assuming you installed the new Treo software? If so, you do need to reinstall the iSync palm conduit before you can synch with iSync again.
    What are you referring to regarding the "new Treo software" -- version number?
    I think they just meant the S/W that comes with the Treo as it states something to the affect of 'install this over any old Palm Software'

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-maniac
    What are you referring to regarding the "new Treo software" -- version number?
    Are you guys using iSync itself to start the sync, or are you initiating the sync from the Treo?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast