Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Anyone had a problem with the Audible.com player being unstable
    on the 650? The program speciifies the 600 and I wonder if that is why I have a lot of soft resets.

Thanks.
    Works fine on mine....
    Treo 650 that is
    works fine on my 650 too
    Is the audible player needed? Can I just play the MP3 versions in PocketTunes?
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    You can play mp3's on PocketTunes, but you can only play audible.com files with supported software. Audible.com provides free software to play their files on the Treo 650.
    works fine for me...I love audible books.

make sure you have the right player software installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by illbits
    You can play mp3's on PocketTunes, but you can only play audible.com files with supported software. Audible.com provides free software to play their files on the Treo 650.
    Right but when I browse the audible site it looks like I can download mp3 versions of the books. It also marks the mp3 versions as "best" quality. I assume these will play with any mp3 player. Is there a benefit to using the audible format with thier player?
    Can I legally trade an audible book? My brother & I are thinking of joining the monthly rate, separately. What plan do others utilize? Are there other companies offering this?
    What we really need is Audible support from Pocket Tunes!
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    I think all the Audible formats (even the one marked "MP3" in their format list; I think the "MP3" only indicates the sound quality level) are encrypted and locked to the specific devices you own. This means you can't give them to someone else for playback on their device, unless you activate their device with your Audible software as an acceptable device for playback. I think they do let you activate multiple devices, but I don't know how many.

I use the Audible player on my 650, and haven't experienced resets as a result of it. I have experienced resets as a result of many other peices of software, though (Butler, hotsync, etc). I give Audible very high marks; after phone calls, it's the most used peice of software on my phone!
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    Yep. You also have to transfer them to your treo via the desktop tool. Using a card reader doesn't work from my experience
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I can download the files using the card reader. After listening to a book, pressing stop, and pressing the red button to turn off the 650 - I frequently get a soft reset when pressing the red button - followed by the center button. Otherwise, I don't have the problem.

Perhaps it is related to the BT patch??
    I use Audible _more_ than I use the phone.
    I haven't had any resets from it.

I've had very few resets in total from anything, few enough that I can't say what the few were from. I think Spy Hunter might even be the only thing.

I don't have treobutler or other hacks installed.
    I do have takephone installed and YAHM but I don't think the hacks that come with takephone are working though I did try to install them.

Other than that, no hacks. Just a lot of ordinary software.

I have had a thing happen, usually jut before, during, and after a Spy Hunter soft reset, where the phone becomes extremely non-responsive but not totally locked up for about 3 minutes. But it's never happened anytime I was using Audible so I don't think that glitch is on topic here.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    When 'Registering' your device in the Audible manager ("selecting your device"), there is a choice between the 600 & 650. I believe it downloads different software. I remember almost downloading the wrong one. Only problem I've had on my 650 is the unit hanging up when I try to answer a call using my Jabra BT 250 headset. Works fine when using a regular wired headset.

Steve
    Wouldn't you know it, no sooner do I say "it never crashed on me" then just a few minutes ago it soft resets just as I'm getting out of the car.

If nothing else, it provided an excuse to try out treo.treocentral.com while I wait for my steak.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
    Sounds like Audible is a #1 for a lot of us. I used the player provided by Audible until I got my 650. I can still put books on either. My current listen is Eye of the World and it has been one of the best yet. It's cool to be in a meeting and have people think you are waiting for an important phone call while listening to a novel. Some meetings are just a waste of time! and Audible has rescued me from many.
    I get all my Audible audio books in CD format then rip them to mp3. This way I can use them in pretty much anything.

Hey, I just finished Eye. I liked it, too, though I thought it was a little slow. Now listening to The Great Hunt. It has a bit more action so far.

Ha ha, that's a great idea about the meeting. Unfortunately, I have to pay attention in mine, even though it's mostly boring.
    I'll take a look for Hunt. What's it about?
    Do you think there would be much demand for a TC/Audible area? So many of us use our 650's for books that I would think there would be a demand for a dedicated area to chat about Audible books. What do others think?
    Talk about coincidental... I am just starting to listen to Eye of the World! If you like fantasy, you might also want to check out the "Song of Ice and Fire" series... it's a great series of 3 books, each 30-40 hour behemoths. That's a good way to get your money's worth from your subscription.
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast