Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Is there any player that remember/bookmark the position of a mp3 file or a iTune AAC (m4a) file? Most of the audiobooks I get from the internet are mp3.

Right but when I browse the audible site it looks like I can download mp3 versions of the books. It also marks the mp3 versions as "best" quality. I assume these will play with any mp3 player. Is there a benefit to using the audible format with thier player?
    The highest quality is "4" encoded in 32bps mono. Usually people encode books in higher bitrate but personally I think its more than enough. I am not sure if it's mp3 or AAC becuase they embed the chapters marks in it and I doubt they can do that in mp3. It's wrapped in the audible aa format so you can only play it on less than 5 computers and 3 handhelds of your choice I think. There are ways that let you convert this to mp3 but audible will tell you it's not legal. I convert them anyway because I feel I am perfectly entitled to lend it to my friend if I am so pleased just like the CD I buy.

I like their selection alot since I am a huge audiobook junkie. The customer service leave alot to desire. For some reason the first day only firefox can download the highest bitrate format, but IE on the same PC only have access to the low bitrate. So I sent an email to tech support and the question took 6 days to get reply. The problem went away by itself later.

edit: also, get The Diamond Age. My favorite contemporary sci-fi.
    Last edited by whatever7; 01/10/2005 at 05:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Can I legally trade an audible book? My brother & I are thinking of joining the monthly rate, separately. What plan do others utilize? Are there other companies offering this?
    Technically, yes. Legally, probably not. You and your brother would have to share the same Audible login account and activate both your devices with this one account. Audible allows multiple devices to be activated, but I imagine they expect only one person's devices to be activated, not sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveOg
    When 'Registering' your device in the Audible manager ("selecting your device"), there is a choice between the 600 & 650. I believe it downloads different software. I remember almost downloading the wrong one. Only problem I've had on my 650 is the unit hanging up when I try to answer a call using my Jabra BT 250 headset. Works fine when using a regular wired headset.

Steve
    Actually, I thnk its the same software. When they ask for a specific device, its simply a marketing thing to determine who has what kind of devices. But as far as I know, there are only three versions - PC, PocketPC and Palm. Maybe there is a seperate 5.x and non-5.x Palm version but I'm not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Is there any player that remember/bookmark the position of a mp3 file or a iTune AAC (m4a) file? Most of the audiobooks I get from the internet are mp3.

The highest quality is "4" encoded in 32bps mono. Usually people encode books in higher bitrate but personally I think its more than enough. I am not sure if it's mp3 or AAC becuase they embed the chapters marks in it and I doubt they can do that in mp3. It's wrapped in the audible aa format so you can only play it on less than 5 computers and 3 handhelds of your choice I think. There are ways that let you convert this to mp3 but audible will tell you it's not legal. I convert them anyway because I feel I am perfectly entitled to lend it to my friend if I am so pleased just like the CD I buy.

I like their selection alot since I am a huge audiobook junkie. The customer service leave alot to desire. For some reason the first day only firefox can download the highest bitrate format, but IE on the same PC only have access to the low bitrate. So I sent an email to tech support and the question took 6 days to get reply. The problem went away by itself later.

edit: also, get The Diamond Age. My favorite contemporary sci-fi.
    Actually, I pick lower ecode qualities because I use my PocketPC, not my 650, to listen to Audible books. My PPC can use a bluetooth headset (as well as BT stereo headphones) to listen and the lower bitrates work better for transferring audio over BT.
    Is it possible to listen to a format 4 audio book on my Treo 650? I don't like the sound quality of format 3.
    I know Audible says this isn't possible, but I'm wondering if there's a workaround.
    I have been using audible for about a year. First on my 600 and since December on my 650. I had some initial problems and reinstalled the software and it runs fine. The WSJ and book load at least twice as fast on the 650 compared to the 600. I am totally satisfied. By the way, I love having the Wall Street Journal read to me and while I am working something else.

Cougar
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Version Audible for 650 - Maybe I did install the version for the 600. Under the "About" tab, I am showing "Audible Player fior Palm OS5 - Version 2.5" - Can anyone cofirm that is the version for the 650?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    That's what mine says: Version 2.5 (for palm operating system 5)
    If I uncheck the play in background option, my 650 will reset anytime a call comes while I am listening to a book. It is one of the most annoying things to be in a good part of a book and reboot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Treo
    Is it possible to listen to a format 4 audio book on my Treo 650? I don't like the sound quality of format 3.
    I know Audible says this isn't possible, but I'm wondering if there's a workaround.
    I havent found a way yet, I've downloaded format 4 and tried to transfer it and it tells me no no.../shrug someone more technically inclined with audible will rpolly figure it out.

TS
    I wonder why they don't allow this. I mean, I have enough space on my 1 Gig card...
    I am using that version on my 650 and it works great for me.

Cougar
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dafydd
    I'll take a look for Hunt. What's it about?
    Do you think there would be much demand for a TC/Audible area? So many of us use our 650's for books that I would think there would be a demand for a dedicated area to chat about Audible books. What do others think?

Great Idea How about a Treo Book Club Thread.!
    I'm up for that!
    Three's a croud. TC, I'm asking for a Treo Book Club, How about it?

I sent a PM request to TC for a Treo/Audible Book Club Forum.
    Last edited by Dafydd; 01/13/2005 at 10:45 AM.
    Another audiblephile checking in! Last night, I downloaded The Broker and renewed Harvard Business Review.

One issue: I still have a 600 and cannot run Audible V2.5 in background at all. I've tried checking and unchecking that box and it doesn't work. When I leave the application, the program stops running. Audible Support sent the relevant code to revert to V2.1 and all is well again. (I must be able to run Audible in background!)

Anyone else have a problem running Audible V2.5 in background?
    I highly recommend 'Shadow Divers.' Very exciting!
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    If you would like a Treo Audible book Link Please PM the Mods and ask for it. You don't have to be a Treo-ite to post reviews.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Love Audible on my T650, no problems so far. Count me in for the Treo/Audible book club forum.
    I just wish my Seidio car kit will hurry up and get here.
    Once that puppy is in Audible in the car (which is where I listen 99.999% of the time) will get just disgustingly slick since the audio, power, and gps will all be hardwired in to it so you just get in the car and drop the treo in the socket. I hope the 650's greater horespower is going to be enough to handle playing a book in the background while Mapopolis and a gps receiver are also running... Luckily I don't actually need the gps all that often.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast