1.    #1  
    OK, so now I've got my 128mb memory card (thanks, Palm!). What's the procedure for getting myself set up so that should I have to hard reset ever, I'm all safe? Do I need BackupMan or something?

Thanks!
    I use BackupMan and have been very satisfied with it. Be sure to get the latest beta 1.52b5 (follow the link for Tungsten 5 at www.bitsnbolts.com). I have not had to do a restore yet, and some people have reported some problems with restoring, but it seems to be one of the best for the 650.
    Zane
    Until recently I would have agreed with zvan. I purchased backupman beta shortly after I got my 650. I have found that with less than 4 or 5 MB of memory free on my devive I encounter more resets than not now. I am now using botzam backup's new version with more success. I suggest trying them all and searching some current threads for more ideas.

backup apps that have been updated for the 650...

tealbackup
    backupman
    botzam backup
    backup buddy vfs(you need to email the developer for the beta, www.bluenomad.com)

there may be others...good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I have found that with less than 4 or 5 MB of memory free on my devive I encounter more resets than not now.
    Is that resets while backing up with Backupman or random resets?

Thanks!
    during backups
    I have good results with BackupBuddy's new beta on both backups and restores.

TealBackup has worked well too.

I have had trouble with BackupMan's beta with VoiceDial. About one out of 3 backups, I get a memory error message on that file.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59

I have had trouble with BackupMan's beta with VoiceDial. About one out of 3 backups, I get a memory error message on that file.
    PalmOne states that VoiceDial does not backup during hotsyncs amd must be reinstalled after a restore. The two issues must be related.
    Right Backup has worked for me ... backup and restore on my 650 after hard reset.
    PalmOne states that VoiceDial does not backup during hotsyncs amd must be reinstalled after a restore. The two issues must be related.

I started leaving the installer on my SD card and run it after a hard reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by vjslater
    Right Backup has worked for me ... backup and restore on my 650 after hard reset.

For some reason with Right Backup I was getting all my Outlook information had duplicate entries when I did a restore.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Backupman beta is working for me and I have a selected file restore vs a complete restore.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    I started leaving the installer on my SD card and run it after a hard reset.
    I do the same thing for voicedial and kinoma 3ex
    Until recently I would have agreed with zvan. I purchased backupman beta shortly after I got my 650. I have found that with less than 4 or 5 MB of memory free on my devive I encounter more resets than not now. I am now using botzam backup's new version with more success. I suggest trying them all and searching some current threads for more ideas.

backup apps that have been updated for the 650...

tealbackup
    backupman
    botzam backup
    backup buddy vfs(you need to email the developer for the beta, www.bluenomad.com)

there may be others...good luck
    I concur. Unless you plan on keeping atleast 6mb of Ram, backupman is not your solution. A year ago, I would have told you to accept no substitute, but bits n bolts is totally bemused by the NVFS, as where other backup programmers have found a workaround, bits n bolts is at a brick wall. Totally sucks because no other backup program is as thorough with a restore. I've sent them numerous e-mails, and they continue to tell me that they are waiting on Palmone to come up with a fix, because they can't. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    I use BackupMan and have been very satisfied with it. Be sure to get the latest beta 1.52b5 (follow the link for Tungsten 5 at www.bitsnbolts.com). I have not had to do a restore yet, and some people have reported some problems with restoring, but it seems to be one of the best for the 650.
    Zane
    Not harshing on ya man, but how can you in good conscience recommend a backup solution that you have not even completely tested? I mean really, come on, if you haven't restored, then you have not tested the software at all....

Just pointing it out, in good spirits, no flames here.

Cheers

I'm using Backupman and I get an error while restoring VoiceDial. So have you verified that BackupBuddy and TealBackup can actually backup and restore Voicedial?
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson
    I concur. Unless you plan on keeping atleast 6mb of Ram, backupman is not your solution. A year ago, I would have told you to accept no substitute, but bits n bolts is totally bemused by the NVFS, as where other backup programmers have found a workaround, bits n bolts is at a brick wall. Totally sucks because no other backup program is as thorough with a restore. I've sent them numerous e-mails, and they continue to tell me that they are waiting on Palmone to come up with a fix, because they can't. Sorry.
    I regularly have only 2.5MB free RAM and Backupman works fine for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    I'm using Backupman and I get an error while restoring VoiceDial. So have you verified that BackupBuddy and TealBackup can actually backup and restore Voicedial?

I have not been able to get either to restore VoiceDial. I have started keeping the VoiceDial installer on my SD card and run it after I perform a restore after a hard reset. To date, I have not had a backup program restore VoiceDial.

I forgot that you mentioned that earlier. I'm sure they are related. It's just strange that the file will backup but not restore. Apparently, it installs only through it's installer.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Check this out.

In December, Palm released an updater that helps their own branded memory cards work with NVFS and their backup program:

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...kup_other.html

So I emailed the Bits 'n Bolts developer of Backupman, hoping that would somehow help alleviate this problem. He let me know that Palm's updater *only* works on Palm's own cards, unfortunately. Third party developers and customers with third party peripherals are still left in the lurch!

So what that means is that even customers who got Palm's pathetic little 128 MB SD card "peace offering" (to make up for the 650's anemic built-in memory) can't even use that update to help with reliable backups.

What a dumb situation. I really want to use Backupman, but couldn't get it to reliably backup. Instead I am using Right Backup, which seems to work, but I know it's not getting every bit of data and restores are incomplete.