1.    #1  
    The top slider is set to sound (not mute).

The phone rings and calendar apptmts sound, but I dont have any Sprint startup sound, no Hotsync sound, no 'tapping' sound when press keys, also cant hear PocketTunes or MMPlayer thru external speaker. I can hear these thru the headset though.

WHAT HAPPENED?!
    Simple question: did you try to do a soft reset?
  3.    #3  
    soft reset, system reset and hard reset with BBVFS restore. No effect.
    Last edited by experiment626; 01/06/2005 at 02:34 PM. Reason: typo
    How about going to the Prefs app, selecting Sounds & Alerts and then choose General as the Application and make sure System Volume is not set to "Off".
  5.    #5  
    Sys vol = 4
    Ouch! Your back speaker could be busted.

Did you check things before restoring after the hard reset? Myabe one of your applications has muted your sound.
  7.    #7  
    The back speaker still works- I can use speakerphone for instance just fine. I can also hear alarms, etc.

If I put on a headset, I can hear all the sounds including Pocket Tunes. It must be an app thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Ouch! Your back speaker could be busted.

Did you check things before restoring after the hard reset? Myabe one of your applications has muted your sound.
    Your headset jack might be corrupted. Have you used a headset adapter? check out this thread...
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=headset

yet another not uncommon treo 650 defect
    Quote Originally Posted by experiment626
    The back speaker still works- I can use speakerphone for instance just fine. I can also hear alarms, etc.

If I put on a headset, I can hear all the sounds including Pocket Tunes. It must be an app thing.
    In my case I could not hear ptunes. Might not be the same thing.
  10.    #10  
    I think that it is the headset 'plug'. I just put my headset in to check to see if my voicememos are recording (they are), I pulled out the headset from the plug and BAM, system sounds restored!

Is this a defect in the plug in the phone do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by experiment626
    I think that it is the headset 'plug'. I just put my headset in to check to see if my voicememos are recording (they are), I pulled out the headset from the plug and BAM, system sounds restored!

Is this a defect in the plug in the phone do you think?
    It definately is a defect
  12.    #12  
    thanks for all of your help you guys
    What a coincidence! I too had this same malady today. I went through the painful process of hard resetting and backing up to restore it. I found the same thing the the trumpet noted. I plugged in my headset adapter and voila, it started working again. Will see if it does it again. Of note, I dropped my phone on the table from about a foot before this problem.
    Gene
    I wish I knew how to kill the system sounds at will! If you set the System Sounds to off, you still get system sounds??? Anyone know how to do this? Even programatically, I can't figure out how to silence this device.

Jeff