1.    #1  
    How many MP3's can one put on a 512MB SD card? Is it safe to say that roughly the average song is around 3MB's? If so, that would put it at about 170 songs (give or take a few) on a 512MB SD card. This is all factoring at 128bit quality. Can anyone let me know If I have the right logic here? Thank you!
    Generally I reencode my music back to ogg format to use on my Treo, so I have about 200 songs taking up 460 megs of space. That might be something you want to look into if you want to store more songs.
    I totally agree. I was flabergasted when I realized I could compress my mp3s to ogg vorbis at 1/4 the size but lose no noticeable sound quality (64k, 44mghz). Do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80
    Generally I reencode my music back to ogg format to use on my Treo, so I have about 200 songs taking up 460 megs of space. That might be something you want to look into if you want to store more songs.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    I totally agree. I was flabergasted when I realized I could compress my mp3s to ogg vorbis at 1/4 the size but lose no noticeable sound quality (64k, 44mghz). Do it!

How? Or is this already documented in another thread that I couldnt find?
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    If you choose to keep your songs in MP3 format, at 128, It comes out to about
    1 minute=1MB. This works out pretty good. Between my cards and devices I can take 30 to 40 albums with me. Opps albums, guess my age is showing

john
    Download this dbPower Amp music converter

Then download the ogg vorbis codec ogg vorbis codec

Then install everything.

Select one or more songs and right clikc on it. There will be a menu to pop up for you to convert mp3. The program will open up and select the lowest possible bitrate (be sure to select ogg vorbis as format to convert to). Then select 4400 hhz or something. Then it should convert. Be sure to note the sound quality and the file size after conversion. There is no noticeable difference & the file size is greatly reduced! I don't think many people realize this procedure... Any more questions, let me know. you could almost store as many songs on a 2gb card as a 5gb ipod with almost identical sound quality!!!
    Using dbPower Amp, I convert 128kbit MP3's to 64Kbit WMA which ends up being
    40-50% of the original file size with no loss in sound quality.
    I'm able to have over 300 songs on my 1gb card with room for some Dave Chapelle episodes, and Kill Bill movie
    "Always changing; everything for good, nothing for nothing."—Flying Hawk, Sioux Chief

Jonn Nubian/First Generation Urban/Brown Eyed Intelligence

My sites mobile formatted for the Treo
    here
    Wow, I just ran across this thread, and in the process of converting my songs and such, but what do you guys use to listen to them? I know PTunes has a Ogg plugin for it, but since getting the 650 I am starting to lean towards Realplayer alot.... Or do you guys use some other program totally different to listen?

In other words, what works for other people when listening to these Ogg files?

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Quote Originally Posted by techprincesse
    Wow, I just ran across this thread, and in the process of converting my songs and such, but what do you guys use to listen to them? I know PTunes has a Ogg plugin for it, but since getting the 650 I am starting to lean towards Realplayer alot.... Or do you guys use some other program totally different to listen?

ptunes for ogg, realp for mp3.
    im going to preface this by saying theres no such thing as a stupid question...
    now, do the files have to be on ur hard drive or can it be converted on the sd card? the reason i ask is because once i transfer my songs from my computer i normally delete them adn i know it will probably take a year to transfer them back.
    Blessed beyond measure!
    Quote Originally Posted by techprincesse

PTunes for me. If only for the Equalizer, it really makes a difference. When I am on a plane, I use in-the-ear style arplugs, but in the gym this type of earplug is too noisy (the cables "rub"), so I use a different headset there. With PTunes I can create an Equalizer setting for both to make them both sound great.
    Where do I find PTunes? Will it "see" the files on my SD?
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    Download this dbPower Amp music converter

Then download the ogg vorbis codec ogg vorbis codec

Then install everything.

Select one or more songs and right clikc on it. There will be a menu to pop up for you to convert mp3. The program will open up and select the lowest possible bitrate (be sure to select ogg vorbis as format to convert to). Then select 4400 hhz or something. Then it should convert. Be sure to note the sound quality and the file size after conversion. There is no noticeable difference & the file size is greatly reduced! I don't think many people realize this procedure... Any more questions, let me know. you could almost store as many songs on a 2gb card as a 5gb ipod with almost identical sound quality!!!

I dowloaded all the software but I can't figure out how to open my Windows Media Player MP3s with the application. I click on the desktop icon and it asks me to open file to convert. Well I can't find the files that have the mp3s in it. It's not in My Shared Files or My Music or anywhere. Anyone else having trouble?
    Bump! Please help a chica out, guys and dolls.
    If you open up Windows Media Player, click Media Library, then click All Music, by default it should show you the file path to each of your MP3s in the far right column of the screen (the column is named File Name).

If the File Name column is not displayed, you can go to the menu bar, click View, then Show Columns, then click the File Name checkbox to have that column displayed.

When looking at the File Name column, I noticed that not all of my MP3s were in the same folder on my hard drive, and your situation may be the same. Once you see where all of yours are, you may want to move all of them to My Music or something to make your converting a little easier.

Hope that helps.
    Ninodelsol I don't know where you came from but I sure appreciate you! (((muah))) Thank you kindly for taking the time to help, it worked. I went into CHOOSE COLUMNS and selected FILE PATH and there they all are - in several files mind you, but I'll pull them all together thanks to you.
    Anytime