Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5675.html

It's a sled, but it is better than nothing. And you don't have to hard-reset each time you use it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane

It's a sled, but it is better than nothing. And you don't have to hard-reset each time you use it!
    I dont know how they did it, but this is GOOD news!
    ~ ScandaLous ~
  3.    #3  
    It seems that there will be a Treo 600 compatible WiFi sled released in February:

Early adopters like me will have to wait a while...
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    A sled. Bah.
    looks like were gonna need some threads merged.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I haven't seen much ado about using that sort of interface. Everybody's been working on the software and SDIO end. I imagine this will lock into the sync/charge plug, so it does make sense even if it will be a little unsightly. The good news is it also means we should be able to use a memory card along with it. I'm watching the whole 650 driver thing unfold, and I've just about decided (not quite) to not upgrade if they (anybody) don't get one working before mid year. Next year at this time we'll all be talking about the next Treo, right :-) Maybe I'll just wait and upgrade then!
    Vince
    How about a portable Wifi device/gateway that would tether to the T650 via bluetooth? It might cost a bit more to make and would need to be charged separately, but the SD slot would remain free and I could keep it hidden in my pocket and pretend my slick 650 had built-in WiFi
    Quote Originally Posted by Zath
    How about a portable Wifi device/gateway that would tether to the T650 via bluetooth? It might cost a bit more to make and would need to be charged separately, but the SD slot would remain free and I could keep it hidden in my pocket and pretend my slick 650 had built-in WiFi
    There you go, now THAT'S an idea... I wonder, a small pic microcontroller to control a sd wifi card, and a bluetooth card (or other versions of 802.11 and bluetooth, but something small...)

That's possible, I don't really want to drop everything to work on it though... That'll take a hardware developer to produce...
    hmm - what real use would a sled be? kind of like how that HP6315 brick thing has a keyboard add-on, and we all think that's useless, I see a wi-fi sled much the same way.
    I will just stick with the built-in, pretty high-speed, broadly available network connections. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    hmm - what real use would a sled be?
    At the Chicago Roadshow, they said the sled would have its own power supply and that was one of the big problems with wi-fi, how much power it used.
    fantastic news - treo I'm comin! solution for the 650 should only be a question of time
    i dont really care about wi-fi, but i can see the benefit of the sled. yeah, it makes it bulkier, but it doesnt use the sd slot and u can leave it behind when u dont need it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    1. I'll believe it when I see it (there just a reference to it so far with nothing on the potential manufacturer's site).
    2. I wish someone would use the same (sled) approach for bluetooth.
    (I apologize for sounding like a broken record on this idea, but I'd personally prefer a Bluetooth sled over a Wi-Fi sled).
    This sounds good, it is too bad they don't have a picture yet. Seems like a credible source though.
    Seeing as it's a sled will it work better in winter than in summer?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I remember this being done with older PalmPilots...I even have one.
    Basically the sled is a serial port device...ie slow...
    The serial port (unless there is a true USB port exposed in the hotsync port) becomes the "slowest" link in the path and the elimiting factor.

This was never successful, or widely adopted before, I hope I'm wrong this time.
    Atleast the sled would let 650 users with memory concerns access there memory card while connected to wi-fi. Maybe useful to download large files dirrectly to sd. I wish they had pictures.
    < merged >
    Quote Originally Posted by Zath

You could jsut use a BT-to-wifi access point like this with your Treo:

http://www.possio.com/scripts/split....d=english&dh=3

Unfortunately the price tag is a bit up there...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Brighthand has an article with a couple photos of the Enfora Wifi sled for the Treo 600.

http://brighthand.com/article/Enfora...he_Treo_Series

Brian
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast