1.    #1  
    Can someone tell me why my contacts keep getting duplicated? Is there an easy way to delete the duplicated contacts or do I have to delete each one individually and hope that they do not duplicate again. This has happened twice already. I hotsync at both my work and home computers but nothing else seems to get duplicated. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter. AD
    Wierd syncing can sometimes cause duplication, especially if you get a strange 'burp' between syncing on macs and pcs. More so I found when using Outlook.

The best duplicate removal program I have encountered is Undupe (Stevens Creek Software?).

Quote Originally Posted by adalal
    Can someone tell me why my contacts keep getting duplicated? Is there an easy way to delete the duplicated contacts or do I have to delete each one individually and hope that they do not duplicate again. This has happened twice already. I hotsync at both my work and home computers but nothing else seems to get duplicated. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter. AD
    Have you been experimenting with backup/Restore software. I had that happen with a test Restore I did yesterday (Desktop overwrites handheld hotsync fixed mine).

I'm still not sure why that happened and have contacted the vendor. I'm not sure if I should blame them yet. :-)

ChickenHawk
  4.    #4  
    I just added an application, sound rec, but I was not experimenting with backup/ restore software. Unfortunately, my duplicated contacts were duplicated both in the Treo 650 and the desktop.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Are you syncing to more than one PC? Undupe is the cure. It does require a soft reset after the duplicates are removed. I have my home pc to not sync contacts and calender so I don't get duped any more. I do a sync at home once a month with the contacts and calendar set to handheld overwrites PC. This updates me at home and I do not get any dups.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
  6.    #6  
    Yes, I am syncing to more than one computer. I guess I will try undupe. I was hoping that there would be a free program but it looks like I may encounter this more than a few times and so I will download undupe.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Updupe is worth every dollar, especially if you are syncing with outlook.
  8.    #8  
    Yeah. I just paid for it and downloaded the program. It works very well, although you have to do a soft reset everytime it removes the duplicates. The developer lets you know in advance there is a problem with the Treo 650 and the Tungsten 5, although it does work.

p.s. I love this board.
    So here's a related question - I just upgraded to a Treo 650 tonight from my old 600. I set up everything with my Mac at home, and all is working well - all my apps are installed, contacts and calendar are "synced" okay. I sync this to a PC at work running Outlook, too, however. I want to make sure that I DON'T duplicate my calendar and contacts there, but I do want to overwrite all the other system and app files that have been backed up. Any advice?
    If you are using outlook search the web for ODR5 or outlook duplicates remover 5. It is a freeware program that works really well for removing duplicates. I use it regularly just to clean out my Outlook database and then I sync using the desktop overwrites handheld option. It has saved me many a time when due to a hotsync glitch I have duplicated all my entry's. It also removes calendar duplicates, task, duplicates, memo duplicates.
    For the curious, this is the warning they give T650 and T5 owners on the order page:
    UnDupe does function and remove duplicates on these two new PalmOne handheld models, but because of the way Palm has changed their memory usage, when it finishes removing duplicates, your handheld will "freeze," requiring a "soft reset." No data is lost when this happens, but obviously it is annoying. It is our understanding that this problem also occurs in other circumstances with other software with these two models. We and Palm are working on a solution, but we cannot predict when the problem will be solved. If this problem bothers you, DO NOT PROCEED WITH THIS PURCHASE because we do not offer refunds for this product.
    The hang is scary, the reset an annoyance, but as promised, it worked.
    If you sync in two different places and to the same Outlook/Exchange account, in the Outlook conduits there is a setting (you have to dig in) that is a check box to allow multiple PC syncs. This will keep the state of your sync between machines. If you start going from one machine to another using different accounts (work is exchange, home is local) you can run into some issues.
    I got it to work okay following this method:

1) At home, resync my Treo600 one last time. Shed a tear.
    2) At home, backup the T600 user account, delete the original, and install Treo 650 software
    3) At home, sync the Treo 650 via iSync conduit - desktop overwrites handheld
    4) At work, backup T600 user account, delete original.
    5) At work, sync T650 using Pocket Mirror/Chapura - handheld overwrites desktop

This worked without incident - I think I only lost a few appointments on Outlook that I hadn't synced the day prior. Other than that, things seem to be working well. I like my new 650...
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHawk
    Have you been experimenting with backup/Restore software. I had that happen with a test Restore I did yesterday (Desktop overwrites handheld hotsync fixed mine).

I'm still not sure why that happened and have contacted the vendor. I'm not sure if I should blame them yet. :-)

ChickenHawk

I had that happen with Right Backup
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    I had that happen with Right Backup
    Exactamundo! I sent my backup file to the developer and he reproduced the problem, but he isn't sure what the problem is yet.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk