Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I pretty much gave up on this as I found as soon as I had a sync error it would stop uploading information from the Treo and since I was auto syncing I was never entirely sure when that happened. I could ALWAYS get it working again just by changing the amount of days syncing from 3 days to a week or back.

I am also hoping the update fixes this.

-Ray-
    I started using ActiveSync on February 10th, the day my company started supporting it.

The very first time I set it up I couldn't upload calendar entries, but after playing with it a bit everything worked PERFECTLY until a few days ago. Calendar entries both ways, email messages both ways, etc.

Then, the dreaded 05E5 error (Status:5) started happening on Monday, March 14. I saw it once before a week or so before, but it went away. But on Monday it never went away - I deleted and re-created my Versamail account, but to no avail. I'm back to regular Calendar syncs with the USB cable, and to using OWA through WebPro for email. I didn't bother calling Palm cause they'd say it was on my company's end; my company of course didn't do anything to the servers on Monday; yada yada yada.

So - worked perfect for a month, I was digging it, now i'm in a world of hurt. After the Sprint Versamail upgrade I'll give it another shot...
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Mine is still working, but I did notice something while constantly tweaking things over and over. I have a lot of recurring appointments in Outlook and Entourage (mainly birthdays). The Treo doesn't seem to like these. I noticed that as long as I never edited these recurring appointments on the Treo, everything seemed to work fine.

But as soon as I edited a recurring appointment on the Treo (even just changing the category), things started getting wierd. First the recurring appointments synced with the wrong info, then I couldn't upload and appointments from the Treo to Outlook through the exchange server.

So, do a hard reset and restore everything from backup (except appointments), then set up the exchange account and sync. As long as I don't ever touch the recurring appointments then everything works fine. Strange.
    Well I have Cingular and the Treo 650. I THINK I used to get appointments up to my Exchange 2003 server no prob. Now I can't... I can download them, but can't get any calendar entries made on the 650 UP to the server. I killed my ActiveSync email account in VersaMail and recreated it, but still no luck. Hope someone from Palmone is watching this thread! Since it's happening on Sprint and Cingular, not thinking it's a network issue... And since it USED to work, not thinking it's an exchange issue. Appears to be a Treo 650 issue?
    I have an unlocked Treo 650 (not linked to any carrier) and I use AT&T/Cingular in Bermuda. I have been using the ActiveSync connection on our MS Exchange 2003 server and I am the network admin - so I know exactly what we have done to our network, which is essentially nothing which would have any cause to break this.

ActiveSync was working fine for us until early last week.

We have three users, myself being one of them, who use these phones. User1 and User2 are both GSM unlocked Treo 650s which were purchased at the same time online from PalmOne's website when they first came out. User3 bought his from someone else around the same time, but didn't get it until just a few days ago.

User1:
    Has had the phone and it was working well until last week. When using Versamail it would crash/reboot his phone. His calendar would not update up to the server, and when downloading update info it would repeat many of the items, and randomly it would delete some items from the calendar (some on the server, some on the handheld).
    The mail worked fine.

User2 (me):
    Mail works fine, but today when I was looking into this I noticed that uploading of new calendar info didn't work. I changed the update interval from 1 week to 3 days, and synced, lost the initial one I had added as a test (since it was never on the server - added it on the handheld) - so I added another one, and synced again and it worked.

User3:
    Just set his up today and it worked fine for email and calendar data - but he says that when he uploads new calendar data, "it isn't bold/hilited in the calendar in Outlook" - by that he means in the small calendar view of Outlook, where it is just the numbers, the font is bold if you have something that day - and apparently on his it won't do that if the item on that day was uploaded from his handheld.

I am seeing posts on Treo boards that there will be an update to Versamail to bring it up to v3.0c (we are using v3.0b right now).

What options do we have right now?

Are there other Palm based solutions that will allow us to connect to ActiveSync on our Exchange server, but it will work properly?

Is there a short-term fix which we can reliably use until the patch is out?

When is the patch coming out?
    Last edited by esmithbda; 03/30/2005 at 11:23 AM.
    Okay, I think I finally see what the issue is. Not a huge help since this only addresses what the problem is - not how to actually fix it or avoid it until the patch comes out for those of us not on Sprint.

The issue is that the filesystem wasn't well done and the way it is currently implemented, if you have large files, they can run out of space and corrupt themselves.
    The new update addresses this and a few other things, so together they fix the problem - but until we can all get and use this update, it doesn't help us much.

There is a post on the PalmOne support pages about it - generally speaking they say to download a program called "FILEZ" (free, thankfully) which allows you to see the system files and who/what created them. Then you delete everything which was created by asc3 or asc4 and then also remove any chance of those files getting Hotsynced back onto your device.
    This deletes the corrupted databases on your phone, but it also means you lose your mail (which shouldn't be that big a deal since it is on the server - but you lose your calendar data too - theoretically some of that could be only on your handheld - so this is where it is most frustrating).

Here is the PalmOne URL with the instructions (note that they have a link there for the FILEZ program which you will need to install first):
    http://www.palmone.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=36541
    Quote Originally Posted by esmithbda
    Okay, I think I finally see what the issue is. Not a huge help since this only addresses what the problem is - not how to actually fix it or avoid it until the patch comes out for those of us not on Sprint.

The issue is that the filesystem wasn't well done and the way it is currently implemented, if you have large files, they can run out of space and corrupt themselves.
    The new update addresses this and a few other things, so together they fix the problem - but until we can all get and use this update, it doesn't help us much.

There is a post on the PalmOne support pages about it - generally speaking they say to download a program called "FILEZ" (free, thankfully) which allows you to see the system files and who/what created them. Then you delete everything which was created by asc3 or asc4 and then also remove any chance of those files getting Hotsynced back onto your device.
    This deletes the corrupted databases on your phone, but it also means you lose your mail (which shouldn't be that big a deal since it is on the server - but you lose your calendar data too - theoretically some of that could be only on your handheld - so this is where it is most frustrating).

Here is the PalmOne URL with the instructions (note that they have a link there for the FILEZ program which you will need to install first):
    http://www.palmone.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=36541
    Good post - I wish had this info prior to the Sprint patch. So far the Sprint patch seems to have corrected this issue. I'll be sure to post if things go bad again.
    Thanks esmithdba! While the tip to remove all the corrupted files via FileZ, etc. didn't work (I reinstalled and still had the same problem with sending calendar entries UP to the Exchange server), your other tip "solved" my problem! I set the days to 3 (down from the default of 1 week) and it works now! Must have something to do with the amount of data I'm trying to sync and setting it to 3 days (rather than 1 or 2 weeks which are the setting I preferred and had before) solves the problem for now. Now I can indeed Sync calendar entries made on the Treo UP to Exchange 2003 calendar via wireless activesync. Thanks! I'll wait for the patch to come to Cingular versions of the Treo 650 until I'm satisfied that it's really "fixed" ... then I can go back to 1 or 2 weeks of sync data.... Thanks!
    It does seem wacky, but I deleted my server profile; reinstalled the server settings, but limited email to "Last 3 days" and now it is correctly synching calendar items up and down from our server (I set "test" appointments on both the Treo and Outlook for this afternoon, tomorrow, next week and two weeks out, and they all synched).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsman
    Mine is still working, but I did notice something while constantly tweaking things over and over. I have a lot of recurring appointments in Outlook and Entourage (mainly birthdays). The Treo doesn't seem to like these. I noticed that as long as I never edited these recurring appointments on the Treo, everything seemed to work fine.

But as soon as I edited a recurring appointment on the Treo (even just changing the category), things started getting wierd. First the recurring appointments synced with the wrong info, then I couldn't upload and appointments from the Treo to Outlook through the exchange server.

So, do a hard reset and restore everything from backup (except appointments), then set up the exchange account and sync. As long as I don't ever touch the recurring appointments then everything works fine. Strange.
    This strikes a chord with me...I'm not sure but this sounds like it might match my situation...I recall when I changed time zones and my all day repeating appts showed up as 2am to 2am appts, then when I got back home and the time zone changed, these appts got screwed up...

PalmOne are you reading?
    Well, I forgot to check back in and deliver the BAD news. Two-way calendar synching (with Versamail Activesync) worked for four days, then it was back to no uploads. Redid account again, worked for two days, then quit uploading.

THIS IS STUPID (or is it the user who's expecting different results doing the same thing - seem to remember that is an early sign of insanity). What a love-hate relationship; but its all because it works some of the time.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Just wait til Chatter does calendar syncing...

Marc
    I haven't had a chance to follow this - has this been resolved yet?

We have users here with the GSM Unlocked phone, using it on an AT&T/Cingular system and they are firmware version 1.14, software version 1.05-ROW.

I have seen some mention of a 1.23 release - I believe that is for firmware? But I haven't seen it on the Palm website.

The issue we need to address is the corruption of VersaMail/ActiveSync. On an unrelated note, I have also heard that the upgrades also help phone volume (not the crazy loud ringtones, but the actual speaker to hear your phone conversation) - is this the case? Is that firmware or software?

Also, would the VersaMail/ActiveSync problem be negated if we switch to a GoodLink system? Or does the unit memory/disk corruption still happen?

I need to present something to our users who are furious that the patch has taken this long (as if I am somehow to blame) and if the GoodLink system bypasses all of this, but provides the same (or better) functionality (working with Exchange 2003), then I think I can get them to pay.
    But if it runs into the same issues, then obviously they are not going to want to use that either - but I need to find a solution soon.
    As far as the issues with uploading calendar entries from the Treo 650 to Exchange using Activesync, this was resolved for me with the Sprint 1.08 firmware patch that upgraded Versamail to version 3.0c. I understand there should be an official GSM patch out soon that I would expect to do the same thing for GSM versions of the Treo.
    Still not working quite correctly. I'm a Sprint user, using Versamail 3.0C (from Sprint's upgrade) and it's MUCH better than before. BUT....

Every few weeks things get corrupted as before, Versamail starts getting errors on syncs, and I have to delete the user and add it back to correct things. I've had it last a week without troubles, and sometimes 2-3.

And today I notice that appointments (some, not all) made on the Treo are NOT being added to my Outlook, though it appears to work the other way around.

So I maintain that the software is still NOT DONE YET.

Anyone else having similar troubles?
    Yup, we're having the same issues yet. We're on Sprint.
    Guess what?
    the whole problem is repeated down here in darkest Africa.

So its NOT a problem with the service provider.

My problems started when I instantiated Versamail.

since then I can sync my calendar ONLY via Versamail,

and neither email NOR Calendar sync via hotsync

So 2 or 3 times a day I pay my Service provider to sync appointments ... my wallet gets lighter and lighter by the day ...
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Just wait til Chatter does calendar syncing...

Marc

When is THAT coming? And when will the Global Address Book access and processing of meeting invitations follow?
    Here's the thing that bugs me about this problem:

Sometimes events that made it up to the Exchange server then get removed when VersMail does its choke thing. For a while I thought that if VersaMail successfully synced the event and I could see it from Outlook on my PC then it was "safe." My flawed thinking on this had led me to the practice of performing a VersaMail unscheduled sync after creating important meeting appointments in my Treo calendar. Yesterday when VersaMail got jacked up and I had to rebuild the Exchange account, events that had previously been on the Exchange server were now gone.

My brain muscles have become flaccid over the years of using Palm devices because I haven't needed to remember things anymore. With the advent of VersaMail and it's unstable behavior and corruption of my essential Palm calendar, I either need to get my memory back in shape so I don't miss meetings that I schedule for myself and VersaMail fails to keep track of, or I need to find a half-way decent program that can keep me wirelessly in sync with my Exchange server.

VersaMail is a joke.
    Mcdonough, I have to say that you have me completely worried and for good reason. I have the exact same probelem as everyone else with Versamail's degrading performance and having to delete the mail account and re-add it. I too would check to see if the mail "made it out" by checking the outlook on my desktop and assuming it went. My office is now on Goodlink, which I'm now using but complaining about because of all of it's memory usage issues and the fact that it reduces my treo to basically a blackberry. I was considering going back to Versamail, but based on your feedback, it might not be a good idea to do so....I can't afford for emails and/or calendar items to "not make it."
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast