Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's official!

Now when is Cingular gonna have it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hurray! Now when the [bleep] can I buy the [bleeping] thing!
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    If you look really, really close, you can see that there isn't a decal for Cingular on the telephone in the picture. I suppose that means it is unlocked, but... Could some prankster have just faked the Cingular stuff on the screen? It doesn't look like the screen was PhotoShopped in, but.....
    What's so official? It's just a photo, we have seen this months ago. When there is an announcement from P1 or Cingular then it's official.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    If you look really, really close, you can see that there isn't a decal for Cingular on the telephone in the picture. I suppose that means it is unlocked, but... Could some prankster have just faked the Cingular stuff on the screen? It doesn't look like the screen was PhotoShopped in, but.....

Its no fake. Engaget is at CES where PalmOne has a booth. It was well known that Palm was going to have a GSM version at the booth this week.
    I think the real scoop would belong to the first person who provides the "Official" release DATE.
    The only scoop here is that they are showing at CES and TC doesn't have someone there.
    FTRD It is aofficial when they are in peoples hands and shipping. All else is just rehashed information we allready know. SHIP THE DAMM THING P1
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    What's so official? It's just a photo, we have seen this months ago. When there is an announcement from P1 or Cingular then it's official.
    No news here , during the Roadshow all the Palm people were carrying GSM Versions....
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I've seen a photo of the AT&T Wireless Treo 650 and that doesn't make it anymore official than does this photo. While we are certain that the device will be released, nobody seems to know when. We knew that Cingular/ATT would have it, but once again, nobody knows when.

It official when PalmOne and Cingular start shipping/selling them. Until then its speculation.
    How about changing the title of this post, so we don't get people too excited over nothing?
    Yes, change the thread title or delete the thread. It's useless.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    It seems rather obvious to me that this is just someone with a preproduction unit or an early unlocked production unit that is just displaying an *image* of the welcome screen that will be on Cingular Treos -- this hardly requires any Photoshopping or anything besides a JPG of the Cingular welcoime screen and a Treo! Since I went to the Dallas Roadshow, I know there a few of these unlocked GSM units out there.

Basically, this is a complete non-story.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    No, there really is a GSM Treo at CES. I assume we will hear an official announcement from either Cingular or PalmOne sometime this week.

http://blog.treonauts.com/
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    So there's a GSM unit at CES -- whoop. What does this add to our current knowledge? There were GSM units at the Road Shows -- I saw one myself. Big deal. This tells us NOTHING about when they will actually be available for us to buy, i.e., when Cingular will make them available.

I fail to see how this makes anything more "official" than it already was -- Palm has already officially told us that there *is* a GSM model that will (later) be available; the specs are there to see and I got to pre-order one due to my attendance at the Road Show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    No, there really is a GSM Treo at CES. I assume we will hear an official announcement from either Cingular or PalmOne sometime this week.

i dont think anyone is questiong that it exist, just that there is no news here. we know it exist, we know ppl are using, we dont know when we will be able to use it.

also, we know there will be an annoucement, we just want the announcement now.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    In other news, the world is round.
    Quote Originally Posted by SamCraig
    In other news, the world is round.

According to P1's web site, though, it is only round for "power users" who actually have to think about the other side of the world and most people wont be affected by that fact and can continue to use the world just as if it was flat.

For those few people that the news of the world being round world might affect, P1 is offering a free 'memory upgrade." It consists of a round blue sticker the user can place on his Treo 650 that will remind the power user to remember that if its daytime on one side of the earth, it might be nightime on the other side. The great thing about this upgrade is it is 'non-volitle' and will stay on the phone even if power is lost. Since the sticker is designed to go over the earpeace, however, some power users might experiance a difference in sound quality. No need to worry however, P1 is working on a patch for that as well that will be bundled free of charge with the Treo 650 cradles....as soon as they are available.
    I heard shadowmite already has the patch and is making it customizable so you can have a square world or even one octagonal. Meanwhile, Silverado is creating a KBlighttheworldON application that will allow you to illuminate any section of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6

Your premise may be true. It does not support your conclusion.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast