Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    i personnally dont have a problem with this.

the carriers are who will keep palmone in business.

what I would love is for palmone to tell us this. why keep it a secret.

a simple, sprint has a 3 month exclusive. then cingalar has x months for gsm, we wont be releasing unlocked unbranded until all us carriers have it.

why cant they do this?

i know it would **** some ppl off, but atleast would would know.
    It is, at least arguably, illegal. There is little chance that their lawyers would permit them to admit to such agreements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harkless
    According to Motorola iDEN International:

Argentina
    Brazil
    Canada
    China
    Colombia
    Israel
    Japan
    Mexico
    Peru
    Philippines
    Singapore
    South Korea
    wow...i didnt know so many other countries used this technolgy. thanks!
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Exclusivity is not illegal at all, it's a business agreement, a contract. Cingular is touting in all their stores they have an exclusive on the Motorola Razr V3 for the next three months. Both they and Motorla have it in print.

There is nothing wrong or illegal with this. P1 offers first come to the highest bidder, the other carriers pay or they don't. All I want to know when the GSM version becomes available, which carrier(s) and when can I get a generic unlocked. Just tell me when and give me a link to preorder from P1 and I'd be happy.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    The only scoop here is that they are showing at CES and TC doesn't have someone there.
    Actually I arrived in Vegas this morning. Engadget did not see the GSM unit in the palmOne booth, but rather at a press only event last night. The showfloor opens first tomorrow, so we don't quite know what to expect.

However, several sources have indicated that we will NOT see a GSM announcement tomorrow. I hope they are wrong.
    I would be surprised if the date for the release is a lock yet. But then what do I know?
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    .....All I want to know when the GSM version becomes available, which carrier(s) and when can I get a generic unlocked. Just tell me when and give me a link to preorder from P1 and I'd be happy.
    Forget it. They are not going to tell you. They are PalmOne. Get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    What hoopla? Show me one Sprint Thread that has GSMers telling them how terrible their service is. Or supposedly is. But every GSM board has Sprint Trollers who cannot figure out why we pay more for better service. Some people have a need for overseas, I do. And I want to carry my Treo, it is a tool, not a toy for me. Oh, and yes sms works over seas, and data which carries my chattermail.

I'll

Then why do you need a Treo at all?
    Got the treo because I used to own a palmpilot back in 98; had good experiences with the palmpilot and I needed an organizer to keep track of a busy schedule with Real Estate by day and remixer/producer/extreme audio editor by night. I'm always by a computer or laptop so the versamail (which works fine for me btw) really wasn't a main factor in me getting this phone. The data service from sprint has been flawless too. Quick websurfing (ebay) is fantastic. I wish there was support for mobile flash with the blazer explorer. AIM chat definitley was (as alot of my clients in both careers communicate with me this way) The cam/video cam was another important feature; The cam/videocam has captured some important things for me (with properties bought and sold) as well as surprise visitors in recording studios. The audio quality on video is absolutley hideous though.

As far as overseas; when I do travel I mainly use my phone to just keep in touch with everyone. The laptop keeps me connected to do all other important tasks (sending audio files/pictures etc.... via wi-fi or wired hi speed internet service) So the treo not working overseas isn't a big deal. I have an unlocked nokia 6800 that I had with cingular that is just fine for use with gsm overseas.

As far as sprint service:
    I have to tell you; i live in brooklyn NY; I travel to NJ almost 3 times a week. I visit florida for the Winter Music Conference. I haven't yet used Sprint (in miami) but the people that I work with that have sprint service have no problems in Miami and Tampa. The service has been exceptional in NYC. No dropped calls. I get a signal everywhere; I've owned the phone since the day after Thanksgiving. I had nextel (I730) for six months; cancelled early; nextel service was poor indoors; I do lots of work indoors (recording studio) and this just didn't cut it for me. Main reason for trying out nextel after Cingular was PTT and free incoming calls. The inability for a stable signal on the I730 indoors or in other areas I traveled to was disgusting.
    Sprint customer service in sprint owned stores and on the phone is terrible. I called for simple things and I couldn't believe at the lack of experience these CSR's had. They lacked technical knowledge and didn't have detailed information about the service plans. It was funny because that's all I needed as far as info (service plan and data services)
    After doing my own research I got the info I needed. I try never to rely on customer service with any provider.
    I have the seven hundred minute fair and flexible plan with nights and weekends starting at 7pm for 55.00 and pay an extra 15.00 for the pcs professional pack (data services) I almost went with the blackberry (nextel) and my minute plan and data service package was going to run me 104.00 minimum. I like the sprint pcs service alot better than nextel's iden. Sprint service in NYC is exceptional.

So this GSM VS CDMA seems pointless to me. I've been with carriers that use either network and my experiences with CDMA (verizon, sprint) have been very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    Actually I arrived in Vegas this morning.
    Sweet. Livin it up in Vegas.
    Quote Originally Posted by davetheone
    .......As far as overseas; when I do travel I mainly use my phone to just keep in touch with everyone. The laptop keeps me connected to do all other important tasks (sending audio files/pictures etc.... via wi-fi or wired hi speed internet service) So the treo not working overseas isn't a big deal. I have an unlocked nokia 6800 that I had with cingular that is just fine for use with gsm overseas........
    Isn't that interesting. When I am overseas, I use my Treo (and PDANet) to connect my PC to the Internet so that I can do all those other things.
    Davetheone,
    I will be in Europe for 7 weeks. I want to use my Treo for audio, pictures, contacts, calls and "other important tasks". Keeping in touch for me means, calls, sms, email, all provided effortlessly with a Treo. So you would rather carry a laptop than a Treo? I don't need my laptop in Europe, I am not going to take it.
    I'd like to know that myself (what you know that is).
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    But then what do I know?
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    I would be surprised if the date for the release is a lock yet. But then what do I know?
    i went from being happy to sad in a heartbeat
    Naveen

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harkless
    Would depend on the carrier whose network you were roaming onto (or using a prepaid SIM card of), but generally yes, though you might have to live with slower data speeds (e.g. GPRS rather than EDGE). If you were using a prepaid SIM card you'd need to be sure to pay for one that included data.

That would presumably depend on the network again. I know Orange in the UK has PTT, but I'm not sure if there's a single GSM PTT standard.
    Dan thanks for the unbiased and informative answer; it is much appreciated.
    Interesting so there's no guarantee all treo 650 features could be accessible overseas.
    ahhhhh well, well
    Davetheone,
    I will be in Europe for 7 weeks. I want to use my Treo for audio, pictures, contacts, calls and "other important tasks". Keeping in touch for me means, calls, sms, email, all provided effortlessly with a Treo. So you would rather carry a laptop than a Treo? I don't need my laptop in Europe, I am not going to take it.

Good luck trying to find a sim card that supports all of those features overseas while I open my laptop at a wifi hotspot or wired hi speed network.

I do have to carry the laptop everywhere I go (I also need the recording studio portability)
    If GSM guaranteed i'd be able to mirror and use all features East to West, West to East (for those of us on opposite sides of the world) then I'd probably go with a provider with gsm.
    BTW I'm having fun with my treo RIGHT NOW; NO WAIT!!!!
    I will be there in the morning. Hey...did you see our request in "I'm Waiting For GSM. Who is with me?" -- to become a sticky for the space of 1 month?
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Sweet. Livin it up in Vegas.
    Did everybody agree finally that there is no announcement?
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Did everybody agree finally that there is no announcement?
    agreed
    Naveen

Next Phone:
    Sorry, I could be wrong... I'm not trying to bumb anyone out. I think you are all so excited to get a 650 that you want it no matter what. Cingular and PalmOne I am quite sure, want you all to have a good experience on that 650. Would you rather have a crappie one - like it seems the CDMA kind of is (I haven't been on here long, but I see a lot of people complaining and cursing P1 for the CDMA version), or would you all rather have a treo that works as well as possible?
    Gee, such anger! P1 is a company no more no less. It's also not a single individual so your experience will vary depending on who you deal with. If I disliked a company so much, I wouldn't buy their products.

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Forget it. They are not going to tell you. They are PalmOne. Get over it.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Davetheone,
    Amen to that! I did the same thing for the first two weeks in March with my T600. Boy do I like being laptopless....
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I stand corrected. It wasn't PalmOne that was demoing a GSM Treo 650 at CES, it was Cingular! No dates yet, though.

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Ci...reo_650_at_CES
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast