Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    It's desirable because my carrier, AT&(C), uses GSM and that's my only option.
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
    Excuse me for my ignorance, but why is the GSM version so desirable?
    It's so "official" the Engadget article that goes with that picture is dated October 24th. (Click on the full text link to the article right below where it says "just a teaser." ) I guess they were saving it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by aptreo
    It's official!

Now when is Cingular gonna have it?
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    It's so "official" the Engadget article that goes with that picture is dated October 24th. (Click on the full text link to the article right below where it says "just a teaser." ) I guess they were saving it up.
    Engadget is just cross referencing to an earlier mention of the "treo 650." The story today is just the picture, which indicates that a cingular firmware exists for the Treo650.
    Not trying to be a killjoy here, but that picture could have been taken at one of the roadshows, couldn't it? I mean, Palm could have even released that picture (or started it circulating), couldn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    No, there really is a GSM Treo at CES. I assume we will hear an official announcement from either Cingular or PalmOne sometime this week.

http://blog.treonauts.com/
    There was GSM TREOS AT ROADSHOWS, hello! I did not see one Sprint treo at the Roadshows. Why is this news?
    Excuse me for my ignorance, but why is the GSM version so desirable? The only thing I can think of is that it can be used overseas too. I can also see the advantages of getting an unlocked phone so that you can use different service providers. Is there anything else to GSM that makes it superior to CMDA?- like better reception, better digital roaming, better data plans, etc.
    For me, GSM provides in my area (Southern California)
    Better reception, better digital roaming, more roaming, Better reliable data, and better reliable sms. It's reliablity, coverage and customer service. And 205 countries as well. If ever I need coverage only in big cities, only outdoors and if SMS messaging and reliable data is not a priority, and I don't need customer service I would consider Sprint. (Read the boards compare experiences)
    As far as data plans, I would rather pay slightly more for better service all the way around.
    I have Sprint, Cingular and T-mobile account right now, do you? The T-mobile and Sprint account are both going away when the GSM phone is released.
    Quote Originally Posted by aptreo
    It's official!

Now when is Cingular gonna have it?
    instills some confidence in my hopes to wait for the 650, rather than running for the 66
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Excuse me for my ignorance, but why is the GSM version so desirable? The only thing I can think of is that it can be used overseas too. I can also see the advantages of getting an unlocked phone so that you can use different service providers. Is there anything else to GSM that makes it superior to CMDA?- like better reception, better digital roaming, better data plans, etc.
    Better reception in some areas, no doubt. Not sure whether Sprint or AT&T/Cingular is king in the general case.

The GSM Treo 650 also supports the new EDGE data speeds (successor to GPRS), which can be faster than Sprint's CDMA 2000 1xRTT. Here's one thread discussing EDGE:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=59447

Remains to be seen whether GSM 650s will be significantly faster on average than Sprint 650s.

Another neat thing with the GSM Treos is that they use a "SIM card" which allows you to move your cellphone service from phone to phone at will, rather than needing to call Sprint to do an ESN transfer (and wait for it to go through, which can take an unpredictable number of hours). One reason you might want to do that would be if you were going to, say, an amusement park, and wanted a cellphone with you but didn't want to risk your Treo. You could move the SIM into a cheap/freebie phone for the day.

Prices are crappier compared to Sprint, however. Sprint's cheapest plan with unlimited data is $30 + $15 (or $10 for those of us grandfathered under the old rate) vs., I believe, $40 + $20 for Cingular.
    Last edited by Dan Harkless; 01/05/2005 at 04:46 PM.
    Question; would versamail work on your gsm phone if you go overseas? Even though it is a world phone what if you're using a sim card from another world carrier; Would you be able to have all the same features as your original provider? Even with PTT technology would you be able to communicate via ptt overseas?

I don't see too many advantages with GSM or CDMA.

I get sick of all the gsm hoopla. If I do travel overseas; i have two old gsm phones that are unlocked; one from nextel and one from cingular; I'll just need my phone for ummmmm..........phone calls!
    Quote Originally Posted by davetheone
    Question; would versamail work on your gsm phone if you go overseas? Even though it is a world phone what if you're using a sim card from another world carrier; Would you be able to have all the same features as your original provider? Even with PTT technology would you be able to communicate via ptt overseas?

I get sick of all the gsm hoopla. If I do travel overseas; i have two old gsm phones that are unlocked; one from nextel and one from cingular; I'll just need my phone for ummmmm..........phone calls!
    nextel isn't gsm...don't let the sim card fool you
    Question; would versamail work on your gsm phone if you go overseas? Even though it is a world phone what if you're using a sim card from another world carrier; Would you be able to have all the same features as your original provider?
    Would depend on the carrier whose network you were roaming onto (or using a prepaid SIM card of), but generally yes, though you might have to live with slower data speeds (e.g. GPRS rather than EDGE). If you were using a prepaid SIM card you'd need to be sure to pay for one that included data.

Even with PTT technology would you be able to communicate via ptt overseas?
    That would presumably depend on the network again. I know Orange in the UK has PTT, but I'm not sure if there's a single GSM PTT standard.

What hoopla? Show me one Sprint Thread that has GSMers telling them how terrible their service is. Or supposedly is. But every GSM board has Sprint Trollers who cannot figure out why we pay more for better service. Some people have a need for overseas, I do. And I want to carry my Treo, it is a tool, not a toy for me. Oh, and yes sms works over seas, and data which carries my chattermail.

I'll
    just need my phone for ummmmm..........phone calls!
    Then why do you need a Treo at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harkless
    Better reception in some areas, no doubt. Not sure whether Sprint or AT&T/Cingular is king in the general case.

The GSM Treo 650 also supports the new EDGE data speeds (successor to GPRS), which can be faster than Sprint's CDMA 2000 1xRTT. Here's one thread discussing EDGE:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=59163

Remains to be seen whether GSM 650s will be significantly faster on average than Sprint 650s.

Another neat thing with the GSM Treos is that they use a "SIM card" which allows you to move your cellphone service from phone to phone at will, rather than needing to call Sprint to do an ESN transfer (and wait for it to go through, which can take an unpredictable number of hours). One reason you might want to do that would be if you were going to, say, an amusement park, and wanted a cellphone with you but didn't want to risk your Treo. You could move the SIM into a cheap/freebie phone for the day.

Prices are crappier compared to Sprint, however. Sprint's cheapest plan with unlimited data is $30 + $15 (or $10 for those of us grandfathered under the old rate) vs., I believe, $40 + $20 for Cingular.
    customer count makes cingular the king as of right now. also, the best two benefits of gsm are the ability to travel with the same phone and secondly, the ability to switch phones as you please.
    Naveen

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.

There are some of us where sprint is not an Option (Poor/No Service Available) if it was I would Be happy to try sprint..Until then We wait
    Oh, another potential advantage of GSM is better battery life. Here are a couple of "GSM vs CDMA" threads:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=59163
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=60563
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney
    There are some of us where sprint is not an Option (Poor/No Service Available) if it was I would Be happy to try sprint..Until then We wait
    where else in the world do nextel phones work?
    Naveen

Next Phone:
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    According to Motorola iDEN International:

Argentina
    Brazil
    Canada
    China
    Colombia
    Israel
    Japan
    Mexico
    Peru
    Philippines
    Singapore
    South Korea
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Except that it is the Carriers that are P1s real customers and they have agreements with them. I have no doubt if the GSM carriers told P1 not to let out unlocked phones until "x" weeks after we have been selling them, P1 would comply.
    i personnally dont have a problem with this.

the carriers are who will keep palmone in business.

what I would love is for palmone to tell us this. why keep it a secret.

a simple, sprint has a 3 month exclusive. then cingalar has x months for gsm, we wont be releasing unlocked unbranded until all us carriers have it.

why cant they do this?

i know it would **** some ppl off, but atleast would would know.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally Posted by BaldyTheEagle
    but we can all agree that sprint's customer service is significantly worse than most carriers

davetheone
    AGREED!
    Found this interesting tidbit on another thread.

And yes I do agree with you "davetheone" on this quote of yours, and that is why I am GSM with Cingular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    Anywhere there's IDEN technology (somewhere?). It's neither GSM nor CDMA. But since the merger, I expect Nextel will eventually go CDMA.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast