Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SamCraig
    I heard shadowmite already has the patch and is making it customizable so you can have a square world or even one octagonal. Meanwhile, Silverado is creating a KBlighttheworldON application that will allow you to illuminate any section of the world.
    Yes but it will probably conflict with Butler and cause Amsterdam to reset itself.
    I hate when Amsterdam is stuck in an infinite loop.
    Now this thread is actually getting good.
    Very funny stuff!
    ~'kito
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Your premise may be true. It does not support your conclusion.
    The purpose of CES is for vendors to announce new products. The fact that someone took a picture of a GSM Treo 650 at the PalmOne booth is, itself, an announcement. What this announcement means is, PalmOne is now ready to produce the GSM Treo 650 in quantity for any carrier that wants it.

Now, firm dates for availability are a whole 'nother story. I don't expect a firm date from Cingular to come out of CES. That's a different booth!
    B.S. Someone took a photo of a GSM unit that doesn't seem to have a Cingular logo on it but running Cingular firmware.

Without any other data there is nothing to conclude. This could have been a unit used by some engineer. The photo alone could have been taken anyway.

This one photo tells you they are ready to ship in volume?????

If you must be an incredible psychic or delusional. Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    The purpose of CES is for vendors to announce new products. The fact that someone took a picture of a GSM Treo 650 at the PalmOne booth is, itself, an announcement. What this announcement means is, PalmOne is now ready to produce the GSM Treo 650 in quantity for any carrier that wants it.

Now, firm dates for availability are a whole 'nother story. I don't expect a firm date from Cingular to come out of CES. That's a different booth!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    lest we all forget? Peter skillman was touting his ATT wireless 650 at the roadshow in what- october november? it actually had been unlocked and he was using T-mobile, but it still said ATT wireless in the logo and carrier section...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    At the Chigago roadshow, in addition to all of the ATT phones, there was also a Cingular branded phone, but it was not working as a phone, was being just used to demo apps.
    Actually, it's someone Stewie's SPLASH SCREEN mod
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    There are no engineers in PalmOne's CES booth. Only sales/marketing types.
    Look at it this way. The appearance of this phone at the PalmOne booth means PalmOne is ready, and if you want this phone, go bug Cingular. PalmOne has no control over Cingular's release schedule.
    Excuse me for my ignorance, but why is the GSM version so desirable? The only thing I can think of is that it can be used overseas too. I can also see the advantages of getting an unlocked phone so that you can use different service providers. Is there anything else to GSM that makes it superior to CMDA?- like better reception, better digital roaming, better data plans, etc.
    ... The appearance of this phone at the PalmOne booth means PalmOne is ready, and if you want this phone, go bug Cingular. PalmOne has no control over Cingular's release schedule.

Unless you were actually there on the exhibit floor, I think you really can't have any idea what this single uncaptioned photo means. We all are anxious 'bout this, but try to keep it under control, guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
    Excuse me for my ignorance, but why is the GSM version so desirable? The only thing I can think of is that it can be used overseas too. I can also see the advantages of getting an unlocked phone so that you can use different service providers. Is there anything else to GSM that makes it superior to CMDA?- like better reception, better digital roaming, better data plans, etc.
    the two things you mentioned are huge to most people. for world travelers, and those who don't want to be tied down for 2 years to sprint. don't need any more reasons than that.
    Palm1 has been "Ready" for a long time, we have seen the GSM phones, they have been in existance -- and being carried by marketing guys-- as long as the Sprint phones have been around.

The issues are 1)Phones released only to Sprint for certain period of time 2) Even after the initial non-sprint blackout period is over, you can bet that most production is dedicated to Sprint or, at least, they have first shot at the it, and; 3) Then its when the carriers are ready and willing to go with it AFTER the Sprint monopoly is over and units are available in sufficent quantities.
    The purpose of CES is for vendors to announce new products. The fact that someone took a picture of a GSM Treo 650 at the PalmOne booth is, itself, an announcement.....
    Perhaps. More likely it is one more tease of the kind for which P1 is so duly famous.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    ...... 3) Then its when the carriers are ready and willing to go with it AFTER the Sprint monopoly is over and units are available in sufficent quantities.
    The advantage of GSM is that one need not wait for the carriers (unless the vendor refuses to sell unlocked phones.) As much as P1 implies that it is the carriers that are holding things up, it simply does not wash.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    As much as P1 implies that it is the carriers that are holding things up, it simply does not wash.
    Except that it is the Carriers that are P1s real customers and they have agreements with them. I have no doubt if the GSM carriers told P1 not to let out unlocked phones until "x" weeks after we have been selling them, P1 would comply.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Except that it is the Carriers that are P1s real customers and they have agreements with them. I have no doubt if the GSM carriers told P1 not to let out unlocked phones until "x" weeks after we have been selling them, P1 would comply.
    You are probably right. However, it is unlikely that their lawyers will let them admit that is what they are doing.
    I agree that this is no big deal -- as the engadget post title reads, "You Know It's Coming." We all know it's coming. Hopefully soon.

And for those who don't think it's a real GSM phone, the color scheme would suggest that it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by webtoker
    Its no fake. Engaget is at CES where PalmOne has a booth. It was well known that Palm was going to have a GSM version at the booth this week.

huh? They had GSM phones at the road shows. We already know that GSM is coming ...... We just don't know when. yet
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamCraig
    In other news, the world is round.
    for GSM only

its flat for CDMA....

just kidding sprint fans....
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast