Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    Usually at work alot of people get new phones and talk about new phones, And I ALWAYS find a way of making them understand that the TREO 650 is much better than any phone out there. For example some comes up and says, I thinking of getting the Sidekick, I have alot of reasons why the Treo is a much better phone, Design, "power", usuability, games, movies, music.......
    But some came to me last week and asked about the MPX and I check on phonescoop, i had nothing to say, I always have something quick to say. The only thing that came to mind is that It has Pocket PC and talked about that for a minute, and told him that Palm is a better OS and has more programs and options. But the MPX is going to be a good competitor.
    If anyone has anything to say about the MPX and why the 650 is better, just let me know, so the next time someone talks about it I have a few things to talk about other than just the OS.
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
  2. #2  
    Check out HowardForums. The PPC enthuniasts over there have already written this off. There is a review on HowardChui.com. Slow, very limited memory, phone issues, etc..

    The Treo 650 is a real winner compared to this day late, dollar short effort. A year ago it sounded interesting but it's day is past already.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by elbombillo2
    But the MPX is going to be a good competitor.
    They have strikingly similar memory problems, but the MPx actually makes the 650 look like it has a lot of internal memory.
    In favor of goofy names: MyTreo.net.
  4. #4  
    The basic design of the MPX is promising with that dual-hinge flip design. Its the guts of the phone that are "a day past"

    Just changing the memory to 64MB alone could save this phone. The processor speed is also a bit worrisome. The MPX's IMAP 200 processor is passable on the iPaq 6315, but barely.
  5. #5  
    i don't like flip phones. I like to pull my phone out of my pocket and start working or calling.
  6. #6  
    I'm just the opposite - I like smaller flip phones that protect their screen - but that said, I'm a dedicated Treo 650 (former Treo 600) user. The MPX, despite an intriguing design, is to big even when closed, and if you thought 32mb was too little for a Palm OS device, just think what you CAN'T do with 32mb in a PPC device.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I'm just the opposite - I like smaller flip phones that protect their screen - but that said, I'm a dedicated Treo 650 (former Treo 600) user. The MPX, despite an intriguing design, is to big even when closed, and if you thought 32mb was too little for a Palm OS device, just think what you CAN'T do with 32mb in a PPC device.
    YEA...what he said!
  8. #8  
    I almost got an MPX220 but stopped when I found out that it had neither hard nor virtual keyboard for typing. It uses the multi-tap method that non-PDA phones use, which is tedious and boring. If a smartphone does not have a physical keyoard, it should provide for a graffiti input.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    I almost got an MPX220 but stopped when I found out that it had neither hard nor virtual keyboard for typing. It uses the multi-tap method that non-PDA phones use, which is tedious and boring. If a smartphone does not have a physical keyoard, it should provide for a graffiti input.
    The lack of a keyboard is a "deal breaker" for me as well...
  10. #10  
    From the preliminary teasers, the Samsung i730 is gonna be stiff competition for the TREO 650... IF they actually end up making and selling it, that is....
  11. bsm
    bsm is offline
    bsm's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    I almost got an MPX220 but stopped when I found out that it had neither hard nor virtual keyboard for typing. It uses the multi-tap method that non-PDA phones use, which is tedious and boring. If a smartphone does not have a physical keyoard, it should provide for a graffiti input.
    Could not agree more. I used the Mpx200 for a while, upgraded to the Mpx220 and returned it a week later and switched to the 650 (and Sprint). There is only so much one can do without some kind of a keyboard.
  12.    #12  
    I was talking about the MPX with the keyboard and flips around and has a two way pager form. The Samsug I730 looks a little big.
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
  13. #13  
    I think the closest competition to the 650 is the benq p50. This phone shows promise. Hell, if it had a palm OS, it would be everything the 650 should have been.
  14.    #14  
    I like the benq, but they keyboard does not have a back light that really sucks. Anyways Im stuck with sprint and will get the Treo 700 when it comes out. I have to buy at LEAST one phone a year.
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
  15. #15  
    Treo 700???
  16. #16  
    MPX is a dog. Tiny processor plus barely enough RAM. What's worst a more advance machine already poping out like crazy. (Mini, P50 and the i730)
  17. #17  
    This has been a recurring theme. Companies announce great devices but don't deliver or deliver late. At the time of the announcements, it very often seems that palmOne's (used to be Handspring's as well) latest device is lagging in comparison, but, what do you know, the HS/palmOne device actually arrives, while the others' better-spec'd devices remain vaporware for a long time... until they become irrelevant.

    This says A LOT for the Palm philosophy. As uber geeks, we love to point out the difficiencies in specs in our beloved Treos. In the meantime, they remain the only real game in town.

    [Anyone remember the Treo 600 vs the Samsung SGH-i500 (not SPH) battle? We were oh so disappointed at HS for delivering a 160x160 device while the SGH was spec'd at high resolution. The SGH's release kept getting delayed (not even sure if the device was ever released) in the mean time the 600 marched on to become a new gold standard in convergent phones, despite all the ranting and raving we and others did.]
    Last edited by silverado; 01/12/2005 at 08:22 AM.
  18. #18  
    I would agree with the above post as far as Palm actually releasing their phones, but I've seen a lot of posts about companies standardizing on blackberries lately -- and people are calling this the year of the blackberry or what have you. If the treo has competition, it is from blackberry phones and companies standardizing on them. Treo's best bet is to get the 650 deployed reliably and widely in the workplace.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by elbombillo2
    I like the benq, but they keyboard does not have a back light that really sucks. Anyways Im stuck with sprint and will get the Treo 700 when it comes out. I have to buy at LEAST one phone a year.
    Since the BenQ won't see the light of day until the second half of 2005, I wouldn't put too much stock into what is being said about it now. The ones people are seeing now are probably engineering samples and are not representative of the final product. It may still end up not having a backlight, who knows, but we don't know that for sure yet.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by lightstream
    I would agree with the above post as far as Palm actually releasing their phones, but I've seen a lot of posts about companies standardizing on blackberries lately -- and people are calling this the year of the blackberry or what have you. If the treo has competition, it is from blackberry phones and companies standardizing on them. Treo's best bet is to get the 650 deployed reliably and widely in the workplace.
    I completely agree.

Posting Permissions