Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    I am very happy with the Calendar that came with the 650. Also, in the description of datebk5, they say "A light version of DateBk3 was licensed to Handspring as their Advanced Datebook application (Datebook+)"

Well I also use a MAC G5 running OSX and I have the Palm Desktop.

Are the datebk5 features worth "upgrading" from the light datebk3 version? Will I lose my MAC Palm Desktop? I am enjoying the repeating alarms, and even the day view with todos.

Comments?
    I have been using Datebk5 since it was version 4 and love it. I think you get 30 or 45 days in the trial version. It should sync with the Palm Desktop the same way. It's worth checking out.
    one of the problems with the T600's native datebook is that the entries can't be sorted by catagory. can the T650's be sorted by catagory?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Note that the 650 does NOT come with the 'lite' version of DB3+. Palm replaced it with their own version. I think DB5 offers a number of useful features. download the trial, and the manual, and try it yourself.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  5. wcl
    It's been a while since I checked on various calendaring application feature sets, but at the time I went from the Handspring-Treo600-bundled calendar to DB5 it was specifically to get the ability to specifiy a time-zone per-event (I travel a reasonable amount). I have been a DB user for years on prior Palms.

Sometimes the choice is as as simple as a single such feature, if it is important to you!

Cheers,
    Walter
    I need it in my line of work (sales). The 'appointment/now' feature is essential, as I document calls as they happen. When I sync at night, I have a running log of the exact time I was in an office (along with real-time notes I tap out during the call). This feature alone makes it a great app (not to mention many other features).
    Weekview is essential to me. You can download just that portion from their site.
    I find the ability to link appointments and reminders to phone numbers, memos, and other events in Datebk5 incredibly useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    one of the problems with the T600's native datebook is that the entries can't be sorted by catagory. can the T650's be sorted by catagory?
    I've used DateBK5 for years, but never got around to doing categories. Monkey, could you please give some examples of what the categories are for you and why we would want to do them? I may just start doing them.
    Thanks,
    ~'kito
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wcl
    It's been a while since I checked on various calendaring application feature sets, but at the time I went from the Handspring-Treo600-bundled calendar to DB5 it was specifically to get the ability to specifiy a time-zone per-event (I travel a reasonable amount).
    The 650's calendar has finally implemented time zones (reasonably well to, IMO).

Also, I demo'ed DateBk5 for a while and found the "floating" appointments great for "todo" type nags. The icons are cute, but I'm not sure those two things are worth the $25 to me.
    Their Alarm options are great, like snoozeing it for how long you want, and so forth... If there is a smaller program that will do the same thing, I would rather have that... Anyone know of one?
    How would you guys compare Agendus to DBK5? I've been a long time user for Agendus and 9.0 seems to be very good. If DBK5 is better, then I might want to migrate..
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    Are the datebk5 features worth "upgrading" from the light datebk3 version?
    Yes, its worth it.

Things I really like.

1. Split screen calendar and to-do's
    2. Advance alarms
    3. Float
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KPZerone
    How would you guys compare Agendus to DBK5? I've been a long time user for Agendus and 9.0 seems to be very good. If DBK5 is better, then I might want to migrate..
    I'm sold on Datebk5, but here is a great comparison chart for the undecided.

http://tech.hernandez5.net/html/datebk5_vs_agendus.html

P.S. CESD(the developer) said he is shooting for end of Q1 for Datebk6
    Look and feel is important to me. The features of DateBk5 floored me, but the graphic design left a lot to be desired. Obviously, if you're going to cram fifty icons and entries on a screen, things will look cluttered. But even allowing for that, I think they could've done better. I hope DateBk6 makes better use of high-resolution devices and tidies up their "cute little icons" a little bit.

Thanks for the comparison link! "Real world" screen shots are very helpful.

BTW, does anyone know if the patched DateBk5 release for Treo 650 is using the new Treo 650 contacts and tasks databases? After reading this thread, I was hoping I could do without them!
    Last edited by pzarquon; 01/05/2005 at 03:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Below is the link for the latest build for the 650. I'm pretty sure CESD utilizes the new contacts and tasks db's. He's pretty damn thorough with his work. I think he has around 3 dozen palm devices at his disposal to make sure datebk5 works for each one.

http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk5-v54a-p7.zip
    It works like a champ with the exception of being able to see any data that is in the "locations" field that is typically used in Outlook's calendar.
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
    I have to say it depends on what you want. I love DateBk5 have paid for it, and used it for a long time. But I don't really need ALL the features of it. I like some of the changes in the 650 calendar (FYI, it's not the Datebk3+ from the previous Handspring products). The ability to add color tags and categories to events and the new daily agenda are just enough that I haven't loaded DateBk5 yet after a month with the 650. I may eventually do it, but right now I get most of what I need with the built-in and I don't have to use up memory for another program.

But if you feel you need more features than the built-in provides, go with DateBk5. It's the best out there on any handheld platform.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I agree with you bcaslis in the calendar program on the new 650 would probably work just fine, but I don't understand why the "location" information isn't selectable in the 650 version. If you tap on it to read the rest of the location or copy the information, it disappears. Frustrating for something relatively simple.
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
    Just to clarify, the "Location" bug is limited to people who sync with Outlook, correct?

I like the tweaks and improvements to the core calendar app, but have to admit, I remember using DateBk on my old Visor Prism, and some things like the linking between calendar and tasks and the various ways of presenting your information was pretty nice. I keep going back to the review jasparks posted, and I'm being persuaded...

I suppose one way to find out if the new Treo 650 beta uses the new databases is to just try it. Since I've moved them off the device, I'll know pretty quickly if it doesn't!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast