1.    #1  
    Is there any utility that will let you do a single button launch of an application from a memory card? A lot of launchers (I use SilverScreen) will launch an application automatically from a memory card. Butler lets you launch a RAM resident application from anywhere activating your Favorites Quick Key feature from anywhere in the 650. What I'd like to see is anything which can combine these two features. Even better would be a capability like ZLauncher where even the associated databases for an application can be kept on a memory card.

I know ZLauncher almost has this capability with its Shortcut feature, but that only supports the common Palm hard buttons, and not any of the 650 alphabetic buttons, like Butler and the Favorites Quick Key feature lets you do. I have couple large applications (like the Audible player or AvantGo) which I access quite regularly. I like to be able to get to Audible by pressing and holding the "A" button, and AvantGo by pressing the "G" button. Butler enables this, but not if the applications are on the memory card.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    Try PowerRun
    This should do exactly what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by danjb
    Is there any utility that will let you do a single button launch of an application from a memory card? A lot of launchers (I use SilverScreen) will launch an application automatically from a memory card. Butler lets you launch a RAM resident application from anywhere activating your Favorites Quick Key feature from anywhere in the 650. What I'd like to see is anything which can combine these two features. Even better would be a capability like ZLauncher where even the associated databases for an application can be kept on a memory card.

I know ZLauncher almost has this capability with its Shortcut feature, but that only supports the common Palm hard buttons, and not any of the 650 alphabetic buttons, like Butler and the Favorites Quick Key feature lets you do. I have couple large applications (like the Audible player or AvantGo) which I access quite regularly. I like to be able to get to Audible by pressing and holding the "A" button, and AvantGo by pressing the "G" button. Butler enables this, but not if the applications are on the memory card.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?
    You need to put the app in your favorites. Those shortcuts allow you to assign a "push and hold" button to launch the app.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by FreePour
    Try PowerRun
    This should do exactly what you want.
    Thank you for the tip!! I did not realize PowerRun worked with 3rd party launchers like SilverScreen. Indeed, it seems to work perfectly. Thanks again!
    Thank you for the tip!! I did not realize PowerRun worked with 3rd party launchers like SilverScreen. Indeed, it seems to work perfectly. Thanks again!
    You got PowerRun to do this....
    I like to be able to get to Audible by pressing and holding the "A" button, and AvantGo by pressing the "G" button. Butler enables this, but not if the applications are on the memory card.
    All by itself? I didn't know it did that either, I have to assign a favorite button to be able to do that.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    You got PowerRun to do this....All by itself? I didn't know it did that either, I have to assign a favorite button to be able to do that.
    Well, I admit I used the Palm favorites in combination with Butler and PowerRun. Use the Palm Favorites to define a single button application launch (e.g. a Quick Key). However, that only works from within the Phone application, not if you are running some other applications.

Then, use Butler and its KeyLauncher "Shortcuts from anywhere" feature to let you launch applications by holding down a button no matter what you are running on the phone. This makes the Palm Favorites "global" (pressing their Quick Key activates the shortcut, no matter what application you might be running on the phone).

Finally, use PowerRun to move one of these applications to an SD card. Now, with a single button push (and hold) you can launch an app from the memory card, no matter what you might be running at the time. So, for example, I can now launch the Audible player from memory card by pressing and holding the "A" button without worrying about whatever other application I might have been in at the time. It's a Rube Goldbergian approach, but seems to work.