Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am looking for a hybrid headset to use for both music and phone conversation. I found two so far, one by PalmOne and the other by Seidio. I am not expecting anything that match my Etymotic Research ER-4 headset, but I want decent sound quality. My reason for a hybrid is simplicity.

Do you have personal experience with a hybrid headset that you could share?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by unclejung
    I am looking for a hybrid headset to use for both music and phone conversation. I found two so far, one by PalmOne and the other by Seidio. I am not expecting anything that match my Etymotic Research ER-4 headset, but I want decent sound quality. My reason for a hybrid is simplicity.

Thanks.
    I dont think that will work. B/c the treo only has bluetooth 1.1 and does not support music over a bluetooth headset. But i could be wrong ( I hope i am).
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
  3.    #3  
    elbombillo2: Yes, a bluetooth hybrid headset would be cool, but for now I can live with a corded headset which the PalmOne and Seidio ones are.
    I have used both the PalmOne and the Seidio one. They both work as advertised. One thing you might want to look into is the Seidio that lets you use your own headphones. I use my Shures on my treo every now and then (and I can use the microphone on the hybrid to talk into, very neat). The downside is the whole contraption gets very large (hybrid+nice headphones).

(moved)
  5.    #5  
    KRamsauer: How do you rate the sound quality of the PalmOne and the Seidio against the Shure? I know it is very subjective, but I am interested in what you have to say.
    They are inferior, but that's only because the Shure is insanely great.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    One thing you might want to look into is the Seidio that lets you use your own headphones.
    (moved)
    Which model is that? I see quite a few of these Seidio models, but not sure which one that might be. Thanks.
    I think the Seidio headphones are very cool, but if you want to listen to MP3s with any level of quality, you will find the frequency response and dynamics of the Seidio headphones inadequate. It is...dull. Best integrated headsets I have seen though. I agree with KRamsauers recommendation...go for the adapter and you'll have the best of both worlds.
    Hi

Hybrid conception has its limitaion on the sound quality due to the requirements for music and voice are quite different. Seidio 2 in 1 headset offers the best combination of voice and music for your Treo 650.

The adaptor type 2 in 1 headset will be available by Jan 12, 2005

Seidio 2 in1 headset also offers in-line volume control and the retractable function which Plamone unit does not offer.

Seidio
    Hi,

Seeing a bunch of you already seem to have these headsets, can you satisfy my curiousity about the practicality?

I was thinking about getting the over ear clip, in ear buds, or the "to 3.5mm jack" variety, and was hoping someone might be able to comment on:
    • Comfort of using the over ear clips;
    • Fit for the in ear buds; and
    • Weight/bulk of the Seidio microphone/control centre

The last is of particular interest because it affects all of the varieties, and from the pictures it doesn't seem that small. I'm hoping to get a CoverTec horizontal case for my Treo 650, and am wondering how this will all work. I can imagine the retractor hanging down and getting in the road, the control centre clipped to my shirt, and still having headphone cords dangling around (past the control centre) and getting in the way.

If I go with the "to 3.5mm jack" variety, I would then have the weight of the 3.5mm jack, and add the cord/jack issues of my Sennheiser PXC-100's to the picture. More bulk, but the ultimate in choice when it comes to audio quality.

So how are they? Am I over analysing this - getting worried over nothingi? At the end of the day, I'm looking for something convenient I can carry around with me all the time, and use when I might want to listen to music or use a headset. If I know I'll be listening to music, I already have an adapter to use with my PXC-100. If I know I'll be needing to use a headset, I already have a Bluetrek G2. What I'm missing is something portable to cover those times when I wasn't sure I would need either of those.

Thanks,
    Matt
    You may want to try out the Palm Hybrid one before you get it. Wish I had had the option to - the connector is horrible and the design of it forces it OUT of the treo if turned 90 degrees. Keeping your Treo in the pocket of my jacket the cord comes out maybe every 10 minutes. Sound is ok though when the cord is connected
    I am looking at the Seido now.
    I bought the Palm hybrid based on some folks not liking the size of the Seido control pod. MP3's sound decent; voice quality when on a call is insanely great. Tiffany, I had the same problem you did with the jack coming out. About five minutes with an Xacto knife cured that. It'll spin freely now w/o coming out.
    Hmm...jeep - not a bad idea - I assume you cut on the connector on the headset and not the Treo?
    Heh. Good guess! It takes a bit of shaping. Think of sharpening a pencil; it slopes back from the metal part of the jack.
    Ok, I'll give it a try!
    Can't belive they designed it like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by unclejung

Thanks.
    I have (had) a nice pair of Etymotic ER-6s. I bought the Treo hybrid thinking 'hey, i can just splice the ER-6s onto the headset wires and get the best of both worlds'. Now I have the worst of both worlds - a ruined headset and a ruined set of etymotics. Even though I am convinced I spliced everything correctly, they're as quiet as a church on Tuesday. *sigh*
    I am something of a hybrid headset maven. In fact, I'm something of a case/headset/clip/holster/anything else I can spend freaking money on/ maven. I'll weigh in with some thoughts on the Seidio ones, along with the hybrid one offered by palmOne.

I have owned and used a ton of the Seidio ones over the last two or so years with my 600. I started with the ones that were music only (I should also point out that I also have, and still use from time to time, a couple of Radio Shack adapters, for use with running-type headphones), and then went to the 2 in 1 ear buds Seidio ones - non retractable, and then went to the 2 in 1 ear buds with retractable cord. When I got my 650, I went to the palmOne hybrid ones.

So at the moment, my main two ones are the retractable Seidio 2in1, in ear bud mode, and the palmOne hybrid. I like some aspects of each better than the other:
    Pro with Seidio:
    Less cord hassle with the retractable function.
    The actual ear buds themselves seem to 'stay' in the ear better -- they're designed differently than the palmOne ones.
    Being able to change the volume on the control 'pod' is very handy.

Pro with the palmOne:
    I do like that the mic/answer end pod is close to the mouth. Easier to take calls with.
    The whole thing is less bulky, and it seems to be less 'junk' on the body and around the face and such. It's just sort of there, and by running the right ear wire part around the back of the head, that reduces the wire hassle that's lurking around the face.

So what's the bottom line? Hard to say - they both have good aspects. I think I like the palmOne the most at the moment, since the phone mic is close to the mouth, and I can easily take calls (as opposed to, with the Seidio one, having to switch over to phone mode, moving up the pod thing close to the mouth, clipping it on my shirt up close to the mouth, etc - that's all a hassle). But again, the palmOne is a cable hassle as well - it's got a long cord, and man that thing can get all wrapped up on stuff. I like that the Seidio can quickly retract into a pretty small and transportable package.

So - to each his own. There's probably not one single answer that works best for everyone.
    does anyone know if the hybrid treo 650 headet would work on the treo 600? if not why?
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I was using my headset and one day turned on pTunes with the headset still attached. Wow, the sound was on high so my ear got blasted! One thing I like about this headset, it has a mute button and a volume control - hence why my sound was sooo loud. I didn't expect to hear anything and lo-and-behold, music (though only in one ear). Not bad. I even switched over and placed a call and then back to music. Until there's a BT where I can listen to music and make calls, this will suffice for me - though the cord thing does get in the way.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast