Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Your posts are seeming to point toward btmute, try removing it followed by a soft reset...
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I had phone fully charged this morning
    I removed BTMute1.1 (that means deleted it from memory) and reset phone around 830am
    Battery charge was in the 99 to 98% vicinity most of the AM before long call
    I have used the phone a few times today with BT headset (total around 45 min or so including 25 min call recently)
    Current charge is 84%

Summary: I can see a noticeable difference since removing BTMute1.1. I am not saying there is something wrong with BTMute1.1, I am just reporting my experience.

Notes:

Note that I don't press the MUTE button by hand at all to increase volume as since yesterday the Jabra GEL with the Ericsson 660 have pretty much eliminated the need to higher volume on BT.

Also note however that while on my long call I received another call which I ignored and when it dropped into vmail the volume on my BT set got louder. I suspect this is related to the bug/issue with the volume with BT. I hope it did not put phone into this high drain mode.

I suspect some interaction between the phone app and BTMute 1.1, but can't tell for sure.
  3.    #43  
    I've been running all day without BTmute (v1.3) and my battery drain issues seem to be gone as well. I haven't tried using my bluetooth handsfree kit today, and I haven't used the mute button, but I *have* hotsynced via bluetooth.

Next step is to go out to the car and try using the bluetooth handsfree kit...

[edit - fixed a typo in the BTmute version #]
    Last edited by dzenc; 01/05/2005 at 03:45 PM.
    I have made a few changes to BTmute. Now it COMPLETELY unregisters for any phone event when the device is sleeping. Lets see if this version helps the situation. Will be very interesting if this makes a difference. If it does then it points to another problem with the OS on the 650. I'll post it to this entry until I get confirmation from someone that can tell me if this works.

Jeff
    Attached Files Attached Files
    So, it might be tied to BTMute - but do we also see a connection with VoiceMemo? Maybe the two together are causing an issue.

Anybody with only one or neither of these apps having battery issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by airjoe
    So, it might be tied to BTMute - but do we also see a connection with VoiceMemo? Maybe the two together are causing an issue.

Anybody with only one or neither of these apps having battery issues?
    The only "possible" connection BTmute would have with this situation would have been that it registered for phone events and stayed registered when the phone went to sleep. This is a supported condition for applications but maybe the 650 has a condition where this practice leaves an os resource busy and will not allow the device to fully sleep. So what I have done is to detect when the device is going to sleep and unregister for all phone events. Then I detect when the system is fully awake and then re-register for phone events.

Other than that, BTmute is very passive and does very little.

Jeff
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I have made a few changes to BTmute. Now it COMPLETELY unregisters for any phone event when the device is sleeping. Lets see if this version helps the situation. Will be very interesting if this makes a difference. If it does then it points to another problem with the OS on the 650. I'll post it to this entry until I get confirmation from someone that can tell me if this works.

Jeff
    Jeff, I'm trying it now. Thanks!
    Have done some experimenting and it seems that PTunes was not really shutting off after playing streaming audio even though I had hit "Stop." I did have background mode enabled. Either it was still connected to the internet or still "playing" in the background.

PTunes eventually caused a reset and I got an error message that if it happens again to call the Ptunes people. Since that reset battery seems to be better, but have just done tests for 2, one-hour blocks after a charge.

Not certain if this was my ONLY problem, but it appears to have been one of them. Will play with it more and report back.

Anyone else have Ptunes and suspect that this could be a problem as well?
  9.    #49  

Jeff
    So far, so good!

I tried installing BTmute v2.0, running it, then doing a soft reset, and re-running it (I realize that this is way overkill, but I wanted to have a cleanly reproducable environment). I then made a ~1 minute phone call, and received a ~1 minute phone call.

Since then, I've had the phone off. Every ten minutes or so, I've been monitoring the battery usage with the Treo 650 battery diagnostic tool (again, it's available from Palm to registered developers).

For the past 20 minutes, the power has been draining at about .01% per minute, which seems normal. Previously, it was dropping at ~5%/hour = ~.08% per minute.

I have yet to test it with a bluetooth headset. I'll let this test run for a complete hour before trying another test.
  10.    #50  
    Looking good after an hour. I'll go out to the car and test it with my bluetooth car kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Have done some experimenting and it seems that PTunes was not really shutting off after playing streaming audio even though I had hit "Stop." I did have background mode enabled. Either it was still connected to the internet or still "playing" in the background.

PTunes eventually caused a reset and I got an error message that if it happens again to call the Ptunes people. Since that reset battery seems to be better, but have just done tests for 2, one-hour blocks after a charge.

Not certain if this was my ONLY problem, but it appears to have been one of them. Will play with it more and report back.

Anyone else have Ptunes and suspect that this could be a problem as well?
    Having the same issue here with power drain. I midmofan, I think pTunes could also have a power drain effect for those who have it. You have to make sure you press the stop button on a stream or just a song, otherwise it will stay "On" in the background.

I have noticed this as there is a bit of a sound blast (quick static white-noise bass) when i plug my headset in. When i go to pTunes and press stop (again.). Then try reseating my headset, i no longer hear that sound blast. I've uninstalled BTmute 1.5 and will ensure that my pTunes "Enable background play" is disabled.

FYI, I had a full charge at 11PM and @ 7am with I only had 63% left.. No usage.. My signal quality during that period was at 65%.
  12.    #52  
    More good news! I tested it in the car with a bluetooth car kit (Parrot DriveBlue). After 30 minutes, the battery usage seems normal. Yay!
  13.    #53  
    The only "possible" connection BTmute would have with this situation would have been that it registered for phone events and stayed registered when the phone went to sleep. This is a supported condition for applications but maybe the 650 has a condition where this practice leaves an os resource busy and will not allow the device to fully sleep. So what I have done is to detect when the device is going to sleep and unregister for all phone events. Then I detect when the system is fully awake and then re-register for phone events.

Other than that, BTmute is very passive and does very little.

Jeff
    Jeff-

As far as I can tell, BTmute v2.0 seems to have eliminated the problem for me!

I totally agree that, even though BTmute seems to *trigger* the problem, it's not BTmute that is *causing* the problem - it undoubtedly is one or more Palm OS bugs that you are having to work around (in the process of working around the very big bluetooth/muting bug). We are *definitely* beta testing the Treo 650 as a result of Sprint/Palm wanting to get it out before Christmas.

Fortunately, if it is a bug in the Palm OS phone event handling, that should be easy to prove - a little test app that does nothing more than register for Phone events should be able to trigger the problem, no? Can you trim BTmute down to a simple test app?

-Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by dzenc
    Jeff-

As far as I can tell, BTmute v2.0 seems to have eliminated the problem for me!

I totally agree that, even though BTmute seems to *trigger* the problem, it's not BTmute that is *causing* the problem - it undoubtedly is one or more Palm OS bugs that you are having to work around (in the process of working around the very big bluetooth/muting bug). We are *definitely* beta testing the Treo 650 as a result of Sprint/Palm wanting to get it out before Christmas.

Fortunately, if it is a bug in the Palm OS phone event handling, that should be easy to prove - a little test app that does nothing more than register for Phone events should be able to trigger the problem, no? Can you trim BTmute down to a simple test app?

-Dan
    That in fact is what BTmute is! I would like to take some credit for doing some "amazing" things in this program but I can't. It's a hack that toggels the mute button through API calls based on events from phone notifications. My guess is that a semaphore is getting locked down and not being released again after servicing a notification.

It's amazing that P1 released this level of quality in a premier product. I have found at least 5 Sev 1 problems in my development efforts so far. That's not counting the well known memory problems....

So sad.....
    After disabling my old version of BTMute yesterday, my battery still had 75% left before I went to sleep. I even did the mute thing manually throughout the day.

I'm testing the new version of BTMute now. Thanks for fixing 2 problems wtih this program!
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    This has happened to me twice. I have none of the patches installed. Both times it happened I was in the menu screen of Bejeweled2 and just turned off the screen without exiting the program. Could there be something about programs in general not pausing when you turn off the screen? If they are not paused would they then continue to transfer info back and forth with memory and drain the battery?
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treodaily
    This has happened to me twice. I have none of the patches installed. Both times it happened I was in the menu screen of Bejeweled2 and just turned off the screen without exiting the program. Could there be something about programs in general not pausing when you turn off the screen? If they are not paused would they then continue to transfer info back and forth with memory and drain the battery?
    Treodaily I think you might be on to something. I have a completely stock 650 that I haven't had time to put any additional apps on. Bluetooth is and always was turned off. I never even opend RealPlayer on my unit yet. I even changed my user name when I upgraded from my 300 so as to eliminate even a remote change of brining over something from my 300 that shouldn't be there. Last night my girlfriend was playing Solitaire and the battery was ~75% when I went to sleep. I'm not sure she "exited" the application but just left solitaire running and turned the power off.

As a habit I always turn the radio off at night because I live in an area that has weak coverage. And I vividly rember turning it off after I last checked my e-mails. When I went to turn the radio on this morning my 650 was stone cold dead. Reminded me of the good old RBOD's we all got with the 300's.
    --Dave

Palm Pro (3 of'em)
    Handspring Visor Deluxe (2 of'em)
    Handspring Prism (2 of'em)
    Handspring Treo 300 (2 of'em)
    Palm Treo 650 (1 of'em and fingers are crossed)
    Anyone figured out what the battery drain is all about? I havent installed any ROM's or BTmute?
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalBoost
    Anyone figured out what the battery drain is all about? I havent installed any ROM's or BTmute?
    I believe the problem lies in the heart of the OS. The one data point that I have with the phone API tells me that there are conditions that get set in the OS that don't allow the 650 to enter "deep sleep mode". There is a mode called "REM sleep" on the Treo's that allows the screen to be turned off but still be actively running applications. There are limitations to what can be done in this mode but the processor is still pulling a good deal of power. My theory is that a OS resource is not releasing a lock (semaphore) and is not allowing the 650 to enter its deep sleep mode. I also suspect that is has strong ties to the phone application in some way.

Jeff
    I'm using Jeff's latest BTmute and power consumption is back to normal- definately doesn't run out overnite. In fact, battery state hardly changes unless I use the phone and that's with BT always on.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast