Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I have not modified the ROM, nor have I installed DUN patch or BTMute (installed BTM and removed it) and last couple of nights I was watching the battary using an app called battary droping 0.01 percent almost every 10 secs. Then I fully charged the battary and monitored it again and it did not seem to loose charge. I have diasabled all the apps (KBlightsoff, LEDoff, Radio Control, KeyCaps600) and the drain remained at 0.01% per 10 secs, enabled them one at a time same drain. I turned vision off and that did not seem to help. So to recap my experience
    I have battary drain at 0.01% per 10 sec and:
    I have the original ROM never modified it
    No DUN patch
    Installed then uninstalled BTMute (soft reset after uninstall)
    I have plenty of memory 18.8 out of 23.7
    I have the keyboard lights off
    LED light off
    and Vision off
    so go figure
    Treoing & Loving it
    Treoing & Loving it
    Here is another thing to think about.How long does it take to fully charge your 650 from a totally dead state?

I didnt look at it closely before I had to recharge every day, but it seems to me that it is "Charging" my 650 much faster than before the battery drain. I can go from a total discharge to 99% in under 3 hours and that seems much faster than before, but I could be wrong. I was wondering if, despite what my indicator says, I am not really charging the thing up all the way.

In any case, I have not installed the BT update, but do have Shadowmite patch w/ DUN, voicerecorder and notepad.
  4.    #24  
    gt5l -

I think it is important to separate out the battery drain when the unit is "on" vs. when the unit is "off." The battery drain should be *much* higher when the unit is on vs. when it is off.

Were you using the battery app while it was dropping? Or did you turn the unit off and then check the battery usage during the time it was off?

As far as I can tell (and Jeff seems to agree) - the observed problem is that the battery drain when it is off becomes the same as when it is on.

I use the following procedure to observe battery drain when it is off:

1. In the phone app, observe battery percentage left (note time & percentage)
    2. Turn phone off
    3. Leave phone idle! and wait 60 minutes
    4. Turn phone on
    5. In the phone app, observe battery percentage left (note time & percentage)

Correct usage should be 0-1%. I see 4-5% when the problem is occuring (which corresponds well with your .01% per 10 seconds)
    Couple things here:

(1) removed BTMute, hard reset, STILL have battery drain.

(2) When I frist noted the battery problems, I did turn the phone off for ~8hrs, and had 0 battery drain - is this inconsistent with what you've seen?
    dzenc, I am trying the 60 minutes test without touching the phone.
    Treoing & Loving it
    I haven't seen the references to battery drain in other threads as mentioned above, but this thread does not touch on radio signal strength. Is the perceived drain happening under the same signal strength conditions under which no drain is seen? Signal strength has a HUGE role in how much power the phone uses as it's sitting "idle". Obviously the lower the signal, the more the power consumption.
    Guys, I'd love to help but seeing as I don't have the battery problem I'm not much good... good luck! I can tell you I use the #3 rom with kblightoff .8 still and the bt update and have no problems... I have never tried btmute (don't need it). ??
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    I haven't seen the references to battery drain in other threads as mentioned above, but this thread does not touch on radio signal strength. Is the perceived drain happening under the same signal strength conditions under which no drain is seen? Signal strength has a HUGE role in how much power the phone uses as it's sitting "idle". Obviously the lower the signal, the more the power consumption.
    Good point. Poor radio signal can significantly impact battery drain.

My tests were done under identical radio conditions, so I'm convinced that signal strength is not the issue that *I* am seeing. There is something else going on.
    Funnily, I was going to post a thread like this myself. Over the New years vacation I had this very issue. I had charged it to capacity on Thuresday when I left work at 3PM. It was dead by Saturday at 8PM. I didn't really even use the phone so monday I charged it which by the way took over 6 hours, its usually much shorter. Now I havent charged it since then to see if I have the same effect. My battery is now at 73% and I havent removed anything.

Original Rom
    BTMute
    KBLights (not turned on)
    Voice memo and note pad on mem card
    BT Car update
    BT enabled for headset(wake device not enabled)
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by airjoe
    Couple things here:

(1) removed BTMute, hard reset, STILL have battery drain.

(2) When I frist noted the battery problems, I did turn the phone off for ~8hrs, and had 0 battery drain - is this inconsistent with what you've seen?
    Hmm... if you saw 0 battery drain over an 8 hour period with the phone off, that seems inconsistent with the issue that I have. My phone loses battery power at about 5% per hour when the phone is off.

Have you tried my 60 minute test procedure? If so, what are your results?
    Quote Originally Posted by breitweiser
    Original Rom
    REALLY? this is a first for someone with an unmodified ROM - which would lead to it being tied to the other apps you listed -

I had BTMute, but removed it and (think) I still have probs

I have Shadow#5 which has voice memo & notepad

I have KBLights, and i have a BT headset configured, but leave b-t off unless I plan to use the headset.
    Last edited by airjoe; 01/05/2005 at 12:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dzenc
    Hmm... if you saw 0 battery drain over an 8 hour period with the phone off, that seems inconsistent with the issue that I have. My phone loses battery power at about 5% per hour when the phone is off.

Have you tried my 60 minute test procedure? If so, what are your results?
    I definately saw ~0 with phone off over that period - I needed to conserve the battery since I forgot my charger at home while out of town.

I'm working now, and can't afford to turn the phone off - I'll test it out tonight. I've playing with this issue so long, I seem to be getting numb to what's good and bad. Some times I'll see 5-10% and hour, and some times (much) less than that...
    Last edited by airjoe; 01/05/2005 at 12:25 PM.
  14.    #34  
    Just to be clear -- when i use the term "phone off" it does *NOT* mean to turn the radio off. It just means to hit the red button quickly and turn the *screen* off.
    See below, with screen off (running in RAM in the background are KBlightsoff, radiocontrol, keycaps600, sandman, batterygraph, backupman, powerrun). As for signal I have/had two bars, i have not moved the phone.
    12:05 87%
    12:32 86%
    01:03 soft reset on its own , I removed mNews from SD and powerrun after the reset
    01:13 84%
    01:18 84% (right before I hit the post quick reply)
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by dzenc
    Just to be clear -- when i use the term "phone off" it does *NOT* mean to turn the radio off. It just means to hit the red button quickly and turn the *screen* off.
    Oh, well heck - that I can do (as long as no-one calls me!)...
    At 1:30PM EST, I'm still at 91% capacity left in the battery. I unplugged from the charger around 7:00AM EST. Sometime this morning I turned off BTMute 1.5 and did a soft reset. Bluetooth has been on all morning, but I haven't placed any calls via BT. Also, SM is checking every 30mins for new messages, but it isn't using too much power. So for now, my battery is working well.

I just made a test call via BT with BTMute still disabled but did NOT do the mute trick. I'll check in a couple of hours and see where I'm at.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    See below, with screen off (running in RAM in the background are KBlightsoff, radiocontrol, keycaps600, sandman, batterygraph, backupman, powerrun). As for signal I have/had two bars, i have not moved the phone.
    12:05 87%
    12:32 86%
    01:03 soft reset on its own , I removed mNews from SD and powerrun after the reset
    01:13 84%
    01:18 84% (right before I hit the post quick reply)
    Hmm.. Your results are borderline, and the soft rest and usage in the middle pretty much invalidates the test. I would try again and see if you can get a clean 60 minutes with no usage (an no resets!).
    Ok, an hour later with no usage, I lost ~1% over an hour. Edit: no sooner than I posted this and made a quick call, it dropped another 3%.

I deleted BTMute this morning... I know that while using the phone iteself, the battery was dropping much more rapidly.
    Last edited by airjoe; 01/05/2005 at 01:39 PM.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by airjoe
    Ok, an hour later with no usage, I lost ~1% over an hour. Edit: no sooner than I posted this and made a quick call, it dropped another 3%.

I deleted BTMute this morning... I know that while using the phone iteself, the battery was dropping much more rapidly.
    airjoe, it seems like you did not see the problem during your test.

losing 3% due to an active call seems pretty normal.

i would suggest taking a new baseline battery reading again now, after the call, and then wait another 60 minutes to see what happens.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast