1.    #1  
    Background data:
    Device Name: Treo 650 (Sprint)
    Desktop Computer Operating System: Mac OS 10.3.x
    Desktop computer brand and model number: Powerbook G4
    Desktop Personal Information Manager: Palm Desktop 4.2.1 Mac
    How is your device connected to your computer: USB

OK. My Treo 650 performed a perfect sync over USB the first 3 times I tried it. Then I started consistently having the Treo unable to connect to the desktop (dreaded "The Connection between your handheld computer and the desktop could not be established. Please check your setup and try again" error ).

I have tried the following to no avail:
    • Reinstall all Palm software on the Mac, then attempt sync.
    • Manually hunt down and remove all Palm software (excluding my User data). Reinstall all Palm software on the Mac, then attempt sync.
    • Manually hunt down and remove all Palm software (excluding my User data). Reinstall all Palm software when logged into the Mac as root, then attempt sync.
    • soft reset Treo, then attempt sync.
    • hard reset Treo, then attempt sync.
    • start Mac with Treo plugged in, Transport Manager enabled, Hotsync Manager not started before attempting sync.
    • start Mac with Treo plugged in, Transport Manager enabled,
      Hotsync Manager started before attempting sync.
    • start Mac with Treo plugged in, Transport Manager disabled, manually enable Transport Manager before attempting sync.
    • start Mac with Treo unplugged but Transport Manager enabled. . Plug in Treo, but Hotsync Manager not started before attempting sync.
    • start Mac with Treo unplugged but Transport Manager enabled. . Start Hotsync Manager, and plug in Treo before attempting sync.
    • start Mac with Treo unplugged, Transport Manager disabled, and Hotsync Manager inactive. Start Hotsync Manager, enable Transport Manager, and then plug in Treo before attempting sync.
    • With Mac running, unplug and re-plug Treo with Transport Manager enabled, then attempt sync.
    • With Mac running, unplug and re-plug Treo with Transport Manager disabled, enable Transport Manager, then attempt sync.
    • start Mac with Treo plugged into powered USB hub plugged into Mac, Transport Manager enabled, and Hotsync Manager started before attempting sync.
    • repeated all of the above tests in the other USB port.

Other Diagnostics I have tried:
    • the Treo does not show up as a USB device under System Profile.
    • USB-Probe (from Apple Developer's kit) doesn't see the Treo when it's plugged in.
    • The hotsync cable is confirmed good (tested with a voltmeter)
    • The USB ports work for other USB devices.

Successes I have had:
    • I can sync via bluetooth, but only directly to the Treo, not to the SD card

Can anybody help? I'm pulling out what's left of my hair over this.

Thanks!
    It's definitely problem with the physical connection, either at the point where the cable plugs into the Treo or with the cable itself.

Make absolutely sure the cable is being connected to the Treo properly (try jiggling it, maybe blow the connectors on the Treo out with some compressed air, etc). If this fails, you will have to work with Sprint to figure out if this is a problem with the cable or cable connector, or with the connector port on the Treo.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MacJunkie
    It's definitely problem with the physical connection, either at the point where the cable plugs into the Treo or with the cable itself.

Make absolutely sure the cable is being connected to the Treo properly (try jiggling it, maybe blow the connectors on the Treo out with some compressed air, etc). If this fails, you will have to work with Sprint to figure out if this is a problem with the cable or cable connector, or with the connector port on the Treo.
    Well, at least visually, it seems like it should be making a good connection. I've cleaned the contacts on both sides.

However, when I look at the connector, there is a power portion of the connector and then the data portion of the connector. On the data side, there are four spring connection pins, a gap, and another pin. The spring pins are not of uniform length. Is this how it's supposed to be?
    Quote Originally Posted by libelle
    Well, at least visually, it seems like it should be making a good connection. I've cleaned the contacts on both sides.

However, when I look at the connector, there is a power portion of the connector and then the data portion of the connector. On the data side, there are four spring connection pins, a gap, and another pin. The spring pins are not of uniform length. Is this how it's supposed to be?
    That is correct. In the group of 4 pins, 3 are short and 1 is long.
  5.    #5  
    Well, I'm reasonably convinced that the contact is good, then. Any other ideas?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by MacJunkie
    Well, I'm coming around to believe that you are, in fact, correct.

I installed the Palm software on a Windows box at work, and, using the same sync cable, get the same results.

I'll have to get a new sync cable and see if that clears things up...
    It's just a bad cable. It happens. Make them send you a new one for free.