1.    #1  
    Anyone know when Sprint will start updating some of these bugs on our 650s? I'm assuming that as palm gets these patches out, all we'll have to do is take it into sprint and let them update it... much like they do with your phones when you take them in to have them serviced.

I just thought I'd throw that question out there as many of you seem to be plugged into the bugs scene a lot more than I.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMSchiller
    ...I'm assuming that as palm gets these patches out, all we'll have to do is take it into sprint and let them update it... much like they do with your phones when you take them in to have them serviced.
    I wouldn't assume that; based on my experience with both Palm's and Treo's (I have had a Palm device since the Palm Personal, a Treo 600 and 650) they will release either a patch (RAM Based) or a ROM upgrade (requires a pc connection and completely replaces the phones ROM.)

I have personal experience (as I'm sure do many on this board) with both. The ROM upgrade is the most dicey as you have to connect the Treo to the PC and run software on both. The RAM patch is the easiest, just sync the patch and you are done. I have not had problems with any of the upgrades I have ever done with a Palm, so I do not anticipate a problem whichever Palm decides to do...

I will be very surprised if we have to take our devices to a Sprint Store to have them patched/upgraded/updated...I haven't seen that done since Sony released the OS upgrade that required you to send the device to them and it cost $50...(although many users opted for a less legal more free upgrade)
    But how long do we have to wait for Palm to get these fixes to us? I'm a bit leery of installing non-OEM software on such an expensive device, but I would really like the device to work properly.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    More importantly, how can we effectively report real and reproducible bugs to PalmOne in the first place?

Because based on my experience so far, I imagine an update will in fact arrive, but it won't address any of the egregious issues we've discovered so far.

For example, how can we know for sure that PalmOne even knows about the inability for us to assign voice (AMR) recordings as customized ring tones (as the documentation promises?)
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hood7
    But how long do we have to wait for Palm to get these fixes to us? I'm a bit leery of installing non-OEM software on such an expensive device, but I would really like the device to work properly.
    Just install the software one at a time and if it doesn't work, just remove it. What's the big deal? Your data is backed up on your PC anyway.

Without 3rd party software, what's the point of a PalmOS based smartphone? That's its biggest (only?) selling point!
    Fofer, I should have been more clear. I have plenty of 3rd-party software working just fine on my 650. I meant to say I am leery of installing non-OEM ROM programs, like the fixes being produced by Shadowmite and others addressing the sound issues, etc. No offense to those folks, but I am not that technically sophisticated nor do I want to mess up the operating system of my phone or mess up my ability to file a warranty claim in the future. Call me ignorant and paranoid! (both are somewhat true!)
    You can't be more technically inept than I am and still manage to type without hurting yourself. And I installed one of the custom ROMs (#3, to be specific) without a hitch.
    You'd be surprised (ouch!) how inept some of (ow!) us can be!
    The ROM was not developed by an amateur...it was built by PalmOne (just not publically).

The custom ROMs are customized versions of the 'official' patch.

I do understand your concern, however. I just wish Sprint/P1 would communicate with us. The silence is really pissing me off!
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    ....I just wish Sprint/P1 would communicate with us. The silence is really pissing me off!

At this point, I guess they have no idea what to tell us.
  11.    #11  
    You all make valid points. I just didn't know if a patch/update was in the making.
    Quote Originally Posted by hood7
    You'd be surprised (ouch!) how inept some of (ow!) us can be!
    If you actually read the directions on how to do the ROM upgrade, it's about as simple as it gets.

You should also have comfort that many people on these forums have flashed those roms without a single dead phone as a result. I'd hardly consider it dicey.

-BT
    Yeah, I'm fairly sure I could do the ROM upgrade safely by following the recipe, but I just don't want to. My concern remains that if I do the ROM upgrade per Shadowmite, and the phone does malfunction at some point, PalmOne will void my warranty because I've replaced the operating system with not-officially-released-by-PalmOne stuff. And my point is, I should not have to go to a third party coder to get a better system, I should be able to get it directly from the OEM (PalmOne). So, the question remains as to when we can expect a release from the OEM. It's great that many are having success with the Shadowmite fixes, but it doesn't answer the main question posited in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
    ... I'd hardly consider it dicey.
    -BT
    Not that your comment was aimed directly at me, but just as an aside... In comparison to HotSyncing a .prc and running it on the palm, updating a ROM via a USB or Serial connection is what I would consider the dicier of the two.

If I HotSync a file and it hoses my palm, I can soft or hard reset depending....OTO, if I hose a ROM Update, there is a possibility that I could end up with a paper weight.

One is considerably more dicey then the other IMO. That said, I have done both with a variety of Palm's since my first Palm in 1997 and I am comfortable with either, just with the ROM update my pucker factor is higher.

One merely has to search some of the major Palm forums for ROM updates that have gone wrong with some of the various Palms to prove the point that a ROM update is a bit riskier then a RAM patch...

Cheers
    All I can find is phone numbers. Are there no email support address's to ask for fixes:

DUN

Audio Quality

Bluetooth Headset/Voice Dial
    I too understand the non-techies conserns about screwing up things on the 650. I tried to get autosync to work and nearly had a stroke when it erased all of my appointments and didn't resync them from Outlook like it's supposed to. I had the IS guys going to yesterday's backup from the servers until I found all of the deleted appointments in my deleted folder in Outlook and was able to easily restore them.