Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 264
  1. #161  
    Jeff, thank YOU for your dedication in making ScheduleCare the best that it can be! It's been very exciting to participate in the design of this program. Can't wait to see the next iteration!

    tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    • To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    • To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
  2. #162  
    As for the trigger conditions I was envisioning 3 conditions to execute a profile (feedback here please):

    1) a timed event that is beyond (or in addition to) a calendar entry
    2) a location triggered event. This would be where you plugged into a power source which caused SC to check for a BlueTooth device. That event would drive the profile. So the one control that said (Time or BT Name) would have either a BT device name or a time. In this case the BT device name would be used.
    3) profile manually triggered by a hotkey.
    LOL, my non-engineering brain keeps getting hung up on the word "location". I think of locations as home vs. work, or the car, or a conference room, etc. Is item #2 more of a device-triggered or activity-triggered event?

    Hotkey:
    I am thinking about alowing for a hotkey (side button, hard button, etc) to bring up a selection screen for switching profiles.
    So by "switching profiles," you're implying that some profile is always on? Hmm, I don't think I would use SC like that. I see using SC for the exceptions, and not the rules. I would probably not use a hotkey assigned to SC.

    Poweron:
    On power up, should there be a indication of the:
    Active Profile Name
    All Settings that are active
    Something else???
    I probably would not use this either, especially if it's going to bring up an extra screen that I would need to dismiss.

    Precedence Rules:
    There obviously needs to be rules about which command to execute when the same command is listed for a particular time periods in different places. Here are my thoughts.

    Timed or Location Profiles
    Categories (override profiles)
    Calendar Entries (override categories and profiles)
    Manual profiles (override calendar entries, categories and profiles)
    The topic of precedence rules brings up another question: what about profile interruptability? For example, let's say I have my favorite SC "everything off" profile from 12 midnight - 7 am the next morning. But let's say one night I stay up past midnight, turn my Treo settings back on, but still want the SC profile to execute for the rest of the night. Is it possible to have an option like "If profile is interrupted, resume running profile after x minutes of inactivity?" That way, I can play with my Treo until ten minutes after midnight, go to sleep, and SC will know to resume running the profile for the rest of the night.

    Have a safe trip home!

    tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    • To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    • To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
  3. #163  
    I appreciate all your hard work Jeff! You have made our Treos much more user friendly. That being said I need my profiles app back! I tested schedulecare & am I the only one who thinks this is wayyyyyy too complicated? Can't you just make a copy of the "profiles" app that was made by milan for the Treo 600? That was simple & perfect. I don't know what happened to him.Maybe you could port the profiles app to the Treo 650 & offer as freeware & create schedulecare as an upgrade for a price. Just a thought...
  4.    #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    I appreciate all your hard work Jeff! You have made our Treos much more user friendly. That being said I need my profiles app back! I tested schedulecare & am I the only one who thinks this is wayyyyyy too complicated? Can't you just make a copy of the "profiles" app that was made by milan for the Treo 600? That was simple & perfect. I don't know what happened to him.Maybe you could port the profiles app to the Treo 650 & offer as freeware & create schedulecare as an upgrade for a price. Just a thought...
    I understand that the calendar intergration is not for everyone. But I am curious if you have looked at the profiles mockup that is in build 31. I am in the process of adding a GUI to SC. This will extend its functionality so that it will function as a standard profile application. I do hope your question/comment will be addressed by this build. Please let me know.

    Jeff
  5.    #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by tanster
    LOL, my non-engineering brain keeps getting hung up on the word "location". I think of locations as home vs. work, or the car, or a conference room, etc. Is item #2 more of a device-triggered or activity-triggered event?


    I think your definition of location is what I am trying to do. Many have BlueTooth deives in their car, home and work. So my immediate thought for this naming this was "localtion". It is true that the device is causing the trigger so I don't know. What do others think this funcitonality should be labeled?

    So by "switching profiles," you're implying that some profile is always on? Hmm, I don't think I would use SC like that. I see using SC for the exceptions, and not the rules. I would probably not use a hotkey assigned to SC.


    No I don't think that a profile will always be active but "switching" will allow the easy access to activate a profile without going into the application everytime you want to activate one. For example, you are waling into a movie theater and you want to quickly activate a quiet/dimmed profile. Its a hotkey away.


    I probably would not use this either, especially if it's going to bring up an extra screen that I would need to dismiss.


    Any information screen would be self clearing and optional.


    The topic of precedence rules brings up another question: what about profile interruptability? For example, let's say I have my favorite SC "everything off" profile from 12 midnight - 7 am the next morning. But let's say one night I stay up past midnight, turn my Treo settings back on, but still want the SC profile to execute for the rest of the night. Is it possible to have an option like "If profile is interrupted, resume running profile after x minutes of inactivity?" That way, I can play with my Treo until ten minutes after midnight, go to sleep, and SC will know to resume running the profile for the rest of the night.


    This is a good problem to think about. I am wondering how to implement this? Would it be implemented for profiles or calendar entries? This implies that SC would periodically check to see if its settings are still set during the profile period. That's an interesting concept!

    Jeff
  6. #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    All.

    Great feedback!!!!!

    Just to be clear the profile manager and alert manger screens are just *mockups* for layout and design consideration. There is NO logic behind these screens yet. So the names and values in the lists were just for *example* purposes so that you see somthing when you hit the list buttons. I would never force people into any particular naming convensions.
    Ahh. I feel better now

    As for the trigger conditions I was envisioning 3 conditions to execute a profile (feedback here please):

    1) a timed event that is beyond (or in addition to) a calendar entry
    2) a location triggered event. This would be where you plugged into a power source which caused SC to check for a BlueTooth device. That event would drive the profile. So the one control that said (Time or BT Name) would have either a BT device name or a time. In this case the BT device name would be used.
    3) profile manually triggered by a hotkey.
    The 3 events fits perfectly with my vision. However, I think that it needs the AND/OR capability. This could be accomplished with a list of conditions rather than a choice 1 of 2 as in my previuos post.


    I agree with the radio button concept but unfortunately there is no radio button control that is a part of the SDK. I plan to generate the same behavior with another control though.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen radio buttons in palm apps. Maybe they just aren't available in your IDE. Anyway, the ON/OFF control looks like it would serve that function. (Note: My thought process on controls is driven by VBVBVB/$VFP$.)

    I like the feedback and has generated some good dialog. I like th eidea that Xathros had about a tabbed window. I have not used this GUI concept yet in any of my apps but I think this is a perfect candidate for that UI design. I will work on building that into SC. The bad thing about the Palm is that there is such a reduced area to put GUI controls. Whilch in turn limits the expansion of the program as time goes on. But the tab design minimizes that restriction and also does not clutter the design with many buttons that take you to other screens. Nice idea!!! So I think I have a handle on this part of the design.
    Have a look at the Zlauncher prefrences screens - they are using tabs quite effectivly.

    Something we have not talked about yet are 3 areas:

    Hotkey selection of profiles
    PowerOn status screen
    Precedence Rules

    Hotkey:
    I am thinking about alowing for a hotkey (side button, hard button, etc) to bring up a selection screen for switching profiles. Here I think simple is better. Is a simple list box with a sorted list of profile names what people would like to see? I am open to any and all suggestions.
    I like the idea of quick selection. Lets have at least 3 profiles on top for one touch selection and the remainder available from a drop down. Lets have a defineable keyboard shortcut to the profile screen (side button maybe). Tap side button, touch profile name, done.

    Poweron:
    On power up, should there be a indication of the:
    Active Profile Name
    All Settings that are active
    Something else???
    Like Tanster said, I don't think we need too much extra stuff at powerup - at least not on the screen. On the profile screen (when selected by hot key or launcher) there should be an indication of the active profile but I don't think it needs to be anything more than that. if someone needs to know what the active settings are, they can select <edit current profile> (a shortcut to the profile editor passing the active profile name).



    Precedence Rules:
    There obviously needs to be rules about which command to execute when the same command is listed for a particular time periods in different places. Here are my thoughts.

    Timed or Location Profiles
    Categories (override profiles)
    Calendar Entries (override categories and profiles)
    Manual profiles (override calendar entries, categories and profiles)
    I don't see this as a problem. And in fact, I think this will confuse people. Keep it simple. Should be event triggered only.

    at 6Am Normal is triggered.
    at 8am detection of carkit triggers Driving
    at 8:20 I unplug from carkit and previous profile Normal is restored.
    at 8:30 Work is triggered.
    at some point during the day a meeting event in my calendar triggers Meeting
    after meeting event passes, previous profile Work is restored.
    at 5pm Normal is triggered.
    at 5:05 carkit detection triggers Driving
    at 5:30 unplug from carkit restores Normal
    at 8pm I select Movie

    at this point Movie is in effect until 6am unless I select another profile manually, a calander event triggers something or I plug into the carkit. Assuming I plug in again, when unplugged, movie is restored since it was the last active profile.

    Only place I see an issue is: If I am plugged into the carkit at 4:30pm and unplug at 6pm, normal should be applied rather than work since the timed event happened during that time. At 5pm however, the carkit should maintain it's precedence since I'm still plugged in. As long as the Last Active pointer gets updated at 5pm so when I unplug at 6, it applies the correct profile (Normal).

    God, I hope that all makes sense.

    OK - Now after re-reading my above thoughts -
    precedence needs to be somewhat defineable.

    In general Timed events should take precedence unless a location profile says

    [X] Override timed profiles

    So if I'm in my car when the work profile time arrives, Driving stays in effect until I unplug, then work is applied. So, my driving profile would override any timed events since the box is checked but my Home location profile would be overriden by my nighttime shutdown profile.

    Calendar category driven profiles override Timed events but not location events unless a calendar triggered profile says:

    [X] override location profiles.

    So if I'm still in my car when my morning meeting is supposed to start, the meeting profile is ignored. (I would have that unchecked so driving stays in effect until unplug.) When I unplug, the Work profile should be applied rather than meeting since the start of the meeting was missed. (I could override by manually selecting meeting or if above was checked then meeting would have been applied in the car. Not a good idea since the boss is probably trying to call saying "Where the hell are you ?"...

    Manually selecting a profile will override the active profile until the next event triggers.

    To recap, my profiles are:

    Normal - Ringers, alerts, Phone, BT all on. Custome ring tones
    Driving - Same but Volumes turned up and auto answer on for carkit.
    Work - Volumes turned down some - ringtones set appropriate for work environment.
    Home - Same as normal - just triggerd by location instead of time.
    Meeting - Alerts to Vib - Calls forwarded to voicemail (Phone off)
    Movie - All sounds to Vib - Screen dimmed - KB lights on
    Nighttime - Phone and BT off - backup ready.

    Well enough for this morning.

    This is fun. We seem to have an excellent bunch contributing to this. This is going to be one of the best Palm apps out there. The more I think about this, the more profiles I can imagine...

    -X
    Last edited by Xathros; 01/21/2005 at 01:53 PM.
  7. #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    [/font]

    I think your definition of location is what I am trying to do. Many have BlueTooth deives in their car, home and work. So my immediate thought for this naming this was "localtion". It is true that the device is causing the trigger so I don't know. What do others think this funcitonality should be labeled?
    BT Name works for me.

    No I don't think that a profile will always be active but "switching" will allow the easy access to activate a profile without going into the application everytime you want to activate one. For example, you are waling into a movie theater and you want to quickly activate a quiet/dimmed profile. Its a hotkey away.
    I think a profile SHOULD always be active as long as SC is active. One profile should be Normal or Default and is what gets applied after a soft reset or when turning off SC. When SC is enabled, the appropriate timed profile is applied then check for BT connections to see if the timed profile need tobe overridden.

    -X
  8. #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by tanster
    The topic of precedence rules brings up another question: what about profile interruptability? For example, let's say I have my favorite SC "everything off" profile from 12 midnight - 7 am the next morning. But let's say one night I stay up past midnight, turn my Treo settings back on, but still want the SC profile to execute for the rest of the night. Is it possible to have an option like "If profile is interrupted, resume running profile after x minutes of inactivity?" That way, I can play with my Treo until ten minutes after midnight, go to sleep, and SC will know to resume running the profile for the rest of the night.

    I think just manually selecting another profile should override the current timed profile. You would then need to reselect your night profile when finished. You could have a Night1 start at say 12am and Night2 being a copy of Night1 to take effect at 3am. This would meet your requirement as long as you go to bed by 3am.

    -X
  9. #169  
    I probably would not use this either, especially if it's going to bring up an extra screen that I would need to dismiss.
    Any information screen would be self clearing and optional.
    As long as the timed profiles are in place, we shouldn't need this. After all, we are the ones whe define the profiles and should know what we asked for. Like I know that at 3pm on Saturday my Normal profile is in effect but at the same time on Monday my Work profile is in effect. Simply viewing the profile selection screen should indicate the active profile should I feel the need to confirm this however.

    -X
  10. #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by tanster
    Jeff, thank YOU for your dedication in making ScheduleCare the best that it can be! It's been very exciting to participate in the design of this program. Can't wait to see the next iteration!


    Yeah! - What she said.

    -X
  11. #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    I appreciate all your hard work Jeff! You have made our Treos much more user friendly. That being said I need my profiles app back! I tested schedulecare & am I the only one who thinks this is wayyyyyy too complicated? Can't you just make a copy of the "profiles" app that was made by milan for the Treo 600? That was simple & perfect. I don't know what happened to him.Maybe you could port the profiles app to the Treo 650 & offer as freeware & create schedulecare as an upgrade for a price. Just a thought...
    At the moment, things are complicated. But, The whole purpose of this thread is to develop a clean, intuitive interface to make a complex managment task clear and simple. In the end, I think this will be one of the KillerApps for the Treo.

    As for Copying someone elses work, Thats not very ethical. If you feel that you need to have Milan's profile manager, you should Try to drum up enough interest to convince him there is a need. (another thread somewhere...) That said, I think SC in the end will supplant the need as it looks like it will do that very nicely if things progress on their current track. Just my thoughts.

    On that note, someone else (sorry, don't remember who at this point) said they though that SC should use the existing Palm screens for setting tomes, alerts, volumes etc. I have to dissagree with this. I would much prefer all of this to be in one central location (Profile editor) so I don't need to go to multiple places to set all of these items. I think a tabbed dialog that pulls it all into one nice clean screen would be the perfect solution. Again, just my thoughts.

    Comments ?

    -X

    PS - I'll shut up for a while now....
  12. Fittske's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    As long as the timed profiles are in place, we shouldn't need this. After all, we are the ones whe define the profiles and should know what we asked for. Like I know that at 3pm on Saturday my Normal profile is in effect but at the same time on Monday my Work profile is in effect. Simply viewing the profile selection screen should indicate the active profile should I feel the need to confirm this however.

    -X
    I disagree.....

    This is one of the features of Milan's profile app that was very useful. There will be a lot of users that will not want to use "scheduled" profiles. I think there needs to be an ability to "manually" Select a created profile, and have this "selected" profile run infinitely until the user decided to "manually" change profiles.

    This is when the "active profile notifier" was very useful. Whenever the screen would go into "sleep" mode and then awakened, the "active profile notifier" would briefly appear, let the user know what current profile was active, and then disappear.

    Not sure if manual profiles has been discussed........

    Let's say I have a work profile and a Home profile. Since the time I get to work varies I would never be able to create a set time to for Schedule care to take effect. So when I get in to work I would "manually" set my "work" profile. Now I may be at work 4 hrs, 8 hrs, 10 hrs..... so i would need my work profile to stay in effect until I leave work. When I leave work, i would then select my home profile, and this profile would stay in effect until changed.

    Do you think Schedule Care could have two modes of operation?

    Manual mode and Schedule Mode?
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  13. Fittske's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    On that note, someone else (sorry, don't remember who at this point) said they though that SC should use the existing Palm screens for setting tomes, alerts, volumes etc. I have to dissagree with this. I would much prefer all of this to be in one central location (Profile editor) so I don't need to go to multiple places to set all of these items. I think a tabbed dialog that pulls it all into one nice clean screen would be the perfect solution. Again, just my thoughts.

    Comments ?

    -X

    PS - I'll shut up for a while now....
    That somebody was me

    I am not saying that you have to "navigate" through your treo in order to setup your profile. What I was saying was to utilize the standard palm interfaces within schedule care. For example when a user goes to set up their profile settings for Phone, Calendar, SMS, and MMS Volume, the user (in schedule care) selects "set volume" and this pulls up the "standard" volume pref. screen. Once the user completes the volume set up, they would select "done" and then be returned to schedule care to set the next profile setting.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  14. #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    I disagree.....

    This is one of the features of Milan's profile app that was very useful. There will be a lot of users that will not want to use "scheduled" profiles. I think there needs to be an ability to "manually" Select a created profile, and have this "selected" profile run infinitely until the user decided to "manually" change profiles.

    This is when the "active profile notifier" was very useful. Whenever the screen would go into "sleep" mode and then awakened, the "active profile notifier" would briefly appear, let the user know what current profile was active, and then disappear.

    Not sure if manual profiles has been discussed........

    Let's say I have a work profile and a Home profile. Since the time I get to work varies I would never be able to create a set time to for Schedule care to take effect. So when I get in to work I would "manually" set my "work" profile. Now I may be at work 4 hrs, 8 hrs, 10 hrs..... so i would need my work profile to stay in effect until I leave work. When I leave work, i would then select my home profile, and this profile would stay in effect until changed.

    Do you think Schedule Care could have two modes of operation?

    Manual mode and Schedule Mode?
    OK. I see you point. So, can we have Optional profile notification at ScreenOn ?

    And Yes. I and others have talked much about manual profile selection. My feeling is that manual selection should override all other triggers at point of selection. So if you don't schedule profiles or setup location driven profiles, all you have left is manual selection and it works as you have indicated. A quick press of the hotkey (definable) brings up the profile screen - tap the profile you want and your done. (At least in my vision of this...)

    -X
    Xathros

    SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
  15. #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    That somebody was me

    I am not saying that you have to "navigate" through your treo in order to setup your profile. What I was saying was to utilize the standard palm interfaces within schedule care. For example when a user goes to set up their profile settings for Phone, Calendar, SMS, and MMS Volume, the user (in schedule care) selects "set volume" and this pulls up the "standard" volume pref. screen. Once the user completes the volume set up, they would select "done" and then be returned to schedule care to set the next profile setting.

    That still seems a bit cumbersome to me. Plus that would involve wait times between screens as each library is loaded/unloaded. I think it would be cleaner to keep it all in SC as long as it's well organized and intuitive.

    And sorry. I do like to give credit when commenting on someone elses posts. It won't happen again.


    -X
    Xathros

    SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
  16. Fittske's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #176  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    That still seems a bit cumbersome to me. Plus that would involve wait times between screens as each library is loaded/unloaded. I think it would be cleaner to keep it all in SC as long as it's well organized and intuitive.

    And sorry. I do like to give credit when commenting on someone elses posts. It won't happen again.


    -X
    I dont think it would be cumbersome. There are already apps on your treo that uses this concept. Calender is one of them.......

    -Open your calander app,
    -select: Menu>Options>Sound Prefs
    -This will take you to the "standard" sound prefs screen....
    -Once finished, select "done" and it takes you back to the calander app.

    all of the "screen switching" takes less than 1 second.

    I think incorperating "standard" palm screens will make the app more "simple" to use for some of the "non-power" users of the 650.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  17. #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    I dont think it would be cumbersome. There are already apps on your treo that uses this concept. Calender is one of them.......

    -Open your calander app,
    -select: Menu>Options>Sound Prefs
    -This will take you to the "standard" sound prefs screen....
    -Once finished, select "done" and it takes you back to the calander app.

    all of the "screen switching" takes less than 1 second.

    I think incorperating "standard" palm screens will make the app more "simple" to use for some of the "non-power" users of the 650.
    I am with Fittske on this one. Using that which is familiar is best. Current program that use this method arent slow to switch that I have noticed and it give symmetry to the apps. Currently I think SC's interface is scary as hell because nothing looks like anything else. I consider myself a power user too. The nonpower users will shy away for sure IMO.

    And why make Jeff creat whole new screens for functions that already exist. More work for him and if he makes it look similar then its just a waste of his time. Why reinvent the wheel??
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  18. #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    I am with Fittske on this one. Using that which is familiar is best. Current program that use this method arent slow to switch that I have noticed and it give symmetry to the apps. Currently I think SC's interface is scary as hell because nothing looks like anything else. I consider myself a power user too. The nonpower users will shy away for sure IMO.

    And why make Jeff creat whole new screens for functions that already exist. More work for him and if he makes it look similar then its just a waste of his time. Why reinvent the wheel??
    Hmmm. OK. I guess as long as I can get to the various setting screens from one place then it won't be too bad. So on the profile editor screen, I select a profile and click sounds & alerts which takes me to the standard Treo Sounds&Alerts screen then returns to profile editor where I select Bluetooth. I am presented with the Treo's bluetooth screen then returned to the editor again. And, what about those things that the Treo doen't have a screen for ? Like Phone On/Off, Keyboard Lights On/Off, LED State etc. Still seems like a simple tabbed dialog with Radios, Sounds, Lights on the editor screen would be simpler (and quicker) for some of this tho.

    I do see the value in the interface consistancy. That said, I'm not sure it's even possible to do that from the profile editor without actually changing the Treo's current settings. Lets say during my lunch break I want to change the profile settings for my night profile. Using the Treo's built in screens to change thiese settings may actually change the current (Work) settings. I'm not sure that the output of those screens can be isolated, recorded in the profile but not applied to the current Treo settings.. I guess Jeff would be the one to answer that tho.

    Either way, I don't thinks this issue is a show stopper. But useability is key for me and having to navigate through 4 or 5 screens rather than one tabbed screen just seems clunky to me.

    Jeff-

    Could you comment on wether it would be easier to use the internal (existing) Treo screens or build your own ?

    -X
    Xathros

    SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
  19. #179  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    I dont think it would be cumbersome. There are already apps on your treo that uses this concept. Calender is one of them.......

    -Open your calander app,
    -select: Menu>Options>Sound Prefs
    -This will take you to the "standard" sound prefs screen....
    -Once finished, select "done" and it takes you back to the calander app.

    all of the "screen switching" takes less than 1 second.

    I think incorperating "standard" palm screens will make the app more "simple" to use for some of the "non-power" users of the 650.
    The calendar app was not designed with profiles in mind. Therefore reusuing the builtin Sounds&Alerts screen is quite functional there. It also doesn't need to consider all of the other things we are looking at here (Radio states, Lighting etc.) so in that instance it DOES make perfect sense. Which now bring me to another question:

    What happens to SC profiles when a user makes changes to Treo setting using a builtin screen ? Affects current settings until next event ? Modifies current Profile ? Modifies Default Profile ?

    What do you all think ?

    -X
    Xathros

    SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
  20. #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    All.


    As for the trigger conditions I was envisioning 3 conditions to execute a profile (feedback here please):

    1) a timed event that is beyond (or in addition to) a calendar entry
    Yes, I can see the value of this. Set a particular profile at bed time, or during routine commute times, and such. Ideally, the time setting should include day of week, or at least a weekday / weekend option.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson

    2) a location triggered event. This would be where you plugged into a power source which caused SC to check for a BlueTooth device. That event would drive the profile. So the one control that said (Time or BT Name) would have either a BT device name or a time. In this case the BT device name would be used.
    I probably wouldn't use this much, but I can see it's value to others.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson


    3) profile manually triggered by a hotkey.
    Yes! This is what Milan's profiles app did, and I used it all the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson


    Something we have not talked about yet are 3 areas:

    Hotkey selection of profiles
    PowerOn status screen
    Precedence Rules

    Hotkey:
    I am thinking about alowing for a hotkey (side button, hard button, etc) to bring up a selection screen for switching profiles. Here I think simple is better. Is a simple list box with a sorted list of profile names what people would like to see? I am open to any and all suggestions.
    Yes, a simple list box that I can scroll in. If you're not familiar with it, Milan's app was activated by holding the Opt key down for a second or two. If this event is still trapable in the 650, it may be a good choice, as it would leave the side button free for other uses.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson

    Poweron:
    On power up, should there be a indication of the:
    Active Profile Name
    All Settings that are active
    Something else???
    Personally, I think just the profile name that's active will be fine. I should be able to give each profile a descriptive enough name that it tells me what I need to know. I would suggest that the option to display or not display the profile info be independently settable for each individual profile. Why? Based on my experience with Profiles, the Palm won't accept any input while the status display is active. So I would not display the profile name when my "normal" profile is active. Only when something other than normal has been chosen.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson

    Precedence Rules:
    There obviously needs to be rules about which command to execute when the same command is listed for a particular time periods in different places. Here are my thoughts.

    Timed or Location Profiles
    Categories (override profiles)
    Calendar Entries (override categories and profiles)
    Manual profiles (override calendar entries, categories and profiles)
    Actually, as I think about this more, I'm not sure this is the right order. If I set a LOUD profile manually this morning, because I'm attending a factory demo, but then go into a scheduled meeting (with a calendar entry) later, I don't want the loud profile to still be active during the meeting. The best way to handle this is going to require some thought.

    Can it be time based? In other words, when the meeting time comes around, the calendar entered profile is implemented. But if I THEN change it manually, the manual profile overrides the calendar profile. But if I set a manual profile before the meeting, then the calendar profile takes precedence when the event occurs.

    Thanks much for all your efforts. This is shaping up to be a great app!

    One last thought. There are going to be people who react to all the capabilities of this app by throwing up their hands and giving up because it's "too complicated." Once you have the GUI all done, you might consider offering a "lite" version that contains only the manually set profiles. I think it could prove to be very popular.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 01/21/2005 at 12:37 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.

Posting Permissions