Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1.    #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrodgers
    Quick report Jeff -- the vibrate appears to work when the tag is in the appointment, but not with the category manager. I can try to describe it in more detail later, but I wanted to give you a heads up.

-Brian
    What build are you using? There were some significant problems I found and fixed in v0.28b. One of which is the problem you are describing.

Thanks for reporting the problem.

Jeff
  2.    #142  
    Version 0.31b is posted. This version extends the beta trial period.

Jeff
    Just downloaded .31b and installed. Where can I find documentation on the various screens ?

-Xathros
  4.    #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    Just downloaded .31b and installed. Where can I find documentation on the various screens ?

-Xathros
    The documentation is still being developed. I hope to have the first docs available by this coming Monday. That is also the time I am looking at making ScheduleCare officially available.

There is documentation available for the commands themselves in the product by hitting the Commands button.

In the mean time, I would be glad to help you through any questions you may have.

I am looking for feedback on the profile manager screens.

Jeff
    Jeff-

It's the profile manager screen(s) that I was looking for info on. Either I don't understand how it's supposed to work, or it has some issues. Here is my list:

1) Profile names are not re-nameable. (Not necessarily a bug but seems wrong.)

2) "Time or BT Name" field does nothing. - no entry of time or name.

3) Profile settings are not saved on exit from screen or when selecting another priofile.

4) Alert Manager sub screen lists Tone 1 - 5 for Known and Unknown rather than the actual tones available. There doesn't seem to be any way to define Tone 1 - 5

5) Alert settings also are not saved.

At this point, I figure I must be doing something wrong or am completely missing the intention of this app. I am a developer myself (not palm) and can usually figure this stuff out - not this time I guess.

I have not yet tested the calendar events or category events as that really isn't how I intended to use this. If need be, I would be happy to test those as well.

This is my first install. I am running the original SPCS rom - never changed. No DUN Patch or BTMute. Is it possible that older versions of SC installers contained code that the newer release does not and therefore I'm missing pieses of the app ? (Just guessing here...)

Anyway, This looks like it has great potential. I have been following this thread since the begining and this release with the manual profiles is what tempted me to try it out.

Let me know if you need any further info about my 650 or configuration.

-X
    Last edited by Xathros; 01/20/2005 at 12:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    this girl deserves the free copy for sure.

I second the nomination.

-X
    Hi Jeff! Here's my Build 30 feedback....

Profile Manager screen
    • All drop-down lists (Profile Name, Display Brightness, etc.) should default to some value, instead of being left blank.
    • I agree with Xathros, you should be able to custom-name the profiles, instead of having to use "Profile 1", "Profile 2", etc.
    • What do the "trigger location", "AutoOff", "Time or BT Name", and "Forward" options do?
    • I would love to see some pre-populated profiles! -- I think they would help explain what ScheduleCare does, as well make it really easy to set up. Examples would be Sleep Mode (everything off), Meeting Mode (sounds off/vibrate on), Drive Mode (sounds extra loud), etc. These are just examples off the top of my head, would love to know from other users what their profiles might look like!
    • Shouldn't the Radio on/off, BlueTooth on/off, HotSync, and Display Brightness options be on the Alerts Manager screen, and not the Profile Manager screen? These options would then appear on the Alert Name drop-down list.
    • Instead of a numerical list for Display Brightness, would love to see the same "sliding bar" that the regular brightness prefs uses.
    • Would like to see a category linking option, like a checkbox that says "Automatically use this profile when appointment category is xxxx"

Alert Manager screen
    • Same comment as for Profile Manager screen -- default to something in each list, instead of being blank.
    • What about "progressively disclosing" (sorry, ultra-geek term ) the various drop-downs, depending on what is chosen from the Alert Name drop-down? For example, if Phone is chosen from the Alert Name list, then show the Known and Unknown lists; otherwise, hide them, since they don't apply to any other Alert Name.
    • Rename "Alert Name" to "Alert Type"? -- because name implies something a user can name?
    • In the "Alert Name" list, why aren't there items corresponding to the A and V commands?

General navigation
    • Now that you are working on the UI portion of ScheduleCare, I'm wondering if the current main screen (the one with "Daily overrides Repeating" and the other options) should be accessed only through a menu, like Preferences, and that the main screen that appears when ScheduleCare is launched would be the Profile Manager. (Gosh, I sure hope that made sense....)

One little issue
    • I am using a DateBk5 floating event set from 12:00am to 7:59am to turn sounds off. As I mentioned to you during our chat a few days ago, I want to avoid using a repeating appointment. The beauty of a floating event is that it's a single event that automatically "floats" to the next day if it is not completed. The issue is, setting the start time to 12:00am will not trigger the SC event. But if I change it to 12:01am, it works. Must be that the floating event doesn't float to the next day quick enough before SC is run! No biggie, just thought I should mention it.

How to explain the power of ScheduleCare?
    • I've been thinking about how it may be hard to understand what ScheduleCare does. But I am convinced that once people understand, they will find the functionality indispensable!

"Have you ever turned OFF the ringer switch (the one on top of the Treo 650) when you go to sleep at night or during a meeting, and then forget to turn it back ON later, consequently missing important phone calls? Have you ever wanted to create meeting appointments that would automatically turn your Treo's sounds off, without you having to turn off the ringer switch? Wouldn't it be convenient if you could schedule your Treo's settings -- not just sound and vibrate mode, but display brightness, Bluetooth settings, etc.? Then ScheduleCare is the answer to your dreams!"

tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    • To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    • To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
    this girl deserves the free copy for sure.
    I second the nomination.
    Thank you, Woof and Xathros!

tanster
    Quote Originally Posted by tanster
    Hi Jeff! Here's my Build 30 feedback....

Profile Manager screen
    • All drop-down lists (Profile Name, Display Brightness, etc.) should default to some value, instead of being left blank.
    • I agree with Xathros, you should be able to custom-name the profiles, instead of having to use "Profile 1", "Profile 2", etc.
    • What do the "trigger location", "AutoOff", "Time or BT Name", and "Forward" options do?
    • I would love to see some pre-populated profiles! -- I think they would help explain what ScheduleCare does, as well make it really easy to set up. Examples would be Sleep Mode (everything off), Meeting Mode (sounds off/vibrate on), Drive Mode (sounds extra loud), etc. These are just examples off the top of my head, would love to know from other users what their profiles might look like!
    • Shouldn't the Radio on/off, BlueTooth on/off, HotSync, and Display Brightness options be on the Alerts Manager screen, and not the Profile Manager screen? These options would then appear on the Alert Name drop-down list.
    • Instead of a numerical list for Display Brightness, would love to see the same "sliding bar" that the regular brightness prefs uses.
    • Would like to see a category linking option, like a checkbox that says "Automatically use this profile when appointment category is xxxx"

Alert Manager screen
    • Same comment as for Profile Manager screen -- default to something in each list, instead of being blank.
    • What about "progressively disclosing" (sorry, ultra-geek term ) the various drop-downs, depending on what is chosen from the Alert Name drop-down? For example, if Phone is chosen from the Alert Name list, then show the Known and Unknown lists; otherwise, hide them, since they don't apply to any other Alert Name.
    • Rename "Alert Name" to "Alert Type"? -- because name implies something a user can name?
    • In the "Alert Name" list, why aren't there items corresponding to the A and V commands?

General navigation
    • Now that you are working on the UI portion of ScheduleCare, I'm wondering if the current main screen (the one with "Daily overrides Repeating" and the other options) should be accessed only through a menu, like Preferences, and that the main screen that appears when ScheduleCare is launched would be the Profile Manager. (Gosh, I sure hope that made sense....)

One little issue
    • I am using a DateBk5 floating event set from 12:00am to 7:59am to turn sounds off. As I mentioned to you during our chat a few days ago, I want to avoid using a repeating appointment. The beauty of a floating event is that it's a single event that automatically "floats" to the next day if it is not completed. The issue is, setting the start time to 12:00am will not trigger the SC event. But if I change it to 12:01am, it works. Must be that the floating event doesn't float to the next day quick enough before SC is run! No biggie, just thought I should mention it.

How to explain the power of ScheduleCare?
    • I've been thinking about how it may be hard to understand what ScheduleCare does. But I am convinced that once people understand, they will find the functionality indispensable!

"Have you ever turned OFF the ringer switch (the one on top of the Treo 650) when you go to sleep at night or during a meeting, and then forget to turn it back ON later, consequently missing important phone calls? Have you ever wanted to create meeting appointments that would automatically turn your Treo's sounds off, without you having to turn off the ringer switch? Wouldn't it be convenient if you could schedule your Treo's settings -- not just sound and vibrate mode, but display brightness, Bluetooth settings, etc.? Then ScheduleCare is the answer to your dreams!"

excellent ideas. I like to see default profiles too. Good work tanster!! oh and you too Jeff
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Tanster-

Are you a developer/programmer ? You sure think like one

Jeff-

I agree w/Tanster that the main screen should be the Profile Manager. Maybe with 3 main profiles available for quick one button selection/activation. From there we should be able to drill down into the profile config and other settings. I'm thinking 2 buttons on the bottom of the screen sorta like (sorry for crude mockup):
    ============================
    ScheduleCare .031b i

EnableSC [ ]

<Normal Profile>

<Driving>

<Meeting>

[OTHER]V - (Drop down list of remaining profiles
    showing last selected from list)

<Edit Profiles> <Schedule>
    =============================

All other items on the current main screen should be accessed via the menu system (prefrences).

Just my thoughts. Comments ?

-X
    Tanster-

Are you a developer/programmer ? You sure think like one
    Don't I wish!

Nah, I'm a technical writer.

tanster
    Don't I wish!

Nah, I'm a technical writer.

And I'd say a pretty good one.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    And I'd say a pretty good one.
    Agreed.

Jeff-

On the main screen, the field "Time or BT Name" indicates an OR condition but the trigger selection is AND/OR with check boxes. I'm thinking AND/OR is appropriate and this needs to become 2 conditional fields based on the check boxes "Time" and "Location" If thats not possible, then the triger selection needs to be a raidio button type field.

The ON/OFF at the top makes no sense to me. Doesn't seem to function either.

Now, ignoring my first paragraph-

My feeling is this screen should be used to define profiles (ring tones, alerts, volume levels, vib on/off, brightness, keyboard lights, LED state, Phone On/Off, BT On/Off) and assign a profile name. Maybe all of the controllable items could be seperated into a tabbed dialog (Radios, Lights, Sounds) to reduce clutter and better organize things.

Then on another screen, we set/define triggers:

When BT Name xxx is detected, apply profile yyyy
    When time is xx:yy apply profile zzzz
    During a calendar event of category cccc apply profile zzzz
    Default profile: dddd

It would be nice to allow for multiple time triggers and BT Name triggers.

So the initial screen would have quick profile select/activate buttons for 3 or so primary profiles. The bottom buttons would become <Edit Profiles> and <Set Triggers>

We can still keep the command structure that you have built so far and continue to allow the calendar to trigger those for more advanced users and needs. Your UI would translate the trigger dialog and create the necessary calendar events/commands. For timed events this would be easy. I'm not sure how the BT detection things works.

Thoughts ? Comments ?

-X
    Last edited by Xathros; 01/20/2005 at 03:13 PM.
    Woof and Xathros, what will you be using ScheduleCare for? What kind of profiles will you be setting up?

Just curious as to how others will be using ScheduleCare....

For me, it's basically to turn all sounds off when I go to sleep, and then to turn everything back on in the morning right before TreoAlarm wakes me up.

tanster
    3 words, Meeting, Driving, Normal...

-X
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Jeff,

Here are some mock-ups I threw together on how I "envisioned" the profile part of the UI to look.

I would like to see a standard screen where the user can set all of the profile functions:

Master sounds
    Master Vibrate
    Phone Volume and Tones
    Calendar Volume and Tones
    Email Volume and Tones
    SMS Volume and Tones
    MMS Volume and Tones
    IM Volume and Tones
    Radio Control
    BlueTooth Radio Control
    Display brightness
    Hotsync'in
    Security ( I know this is not an option but maybe you can incorporate it )
    Wallpaper ( I know this is not an option but maybe you can incorporate it )

-The user will have the opportunity to select a setting for each function.
    -When a function is selected, the user will then set the function using the "standard UI" (this will simplify the usage of Schedule Care due to the user using a "known screen").
    -If a user does not select a status for any one of the functions it will default to the current state on the phone
    -Once complete the user will name and save the profile.

Check out the mock-ups I put together.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Woof and Xathros, what will you be using ScheduleCare for? What kind of profiles will you be setting up?

Just curious as to how others will be using ScheduleCare....

For me, it's basically to turn all sounds off when I go to sleep, and then to turn everything back on in the morning right before TreoAlarm wakes me up.

tanster, I'll use it to mute the phone when I am meeting with a client or doing a presentation, and probably in the car too. I am lousy at turning the ringer off when I sit down with someone. Be nice to have it tied to the calender.

I'll also set up a profile for movies too so I dont ring in the theater.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    Jeff,

Here are some mock-ups I threw together on how I "envisioned" the profile part of the UI to look.

I would like to see a standard screen where the user can set all of the profile functions:

Master sounds
    Master Vibrate
    Phone Volume and Tones
    Calendar Volume and Tones
    Email Volume and Tones
    SMS Volume and Tones
    MMS Volume and Tones
    IM Volume and Tones
    Radio Control
    BlueTooth Radio Control
    Display brightness
    Hotsync'in
    Security ( I know this is not an option but maybe you can incorporate it )
    Wallpaper ( I know this is not an option but maybe you can incorporate it )

-The user will have the opportunity to select a setting for each function.
    -When a function is selected, the user will then set the function using the "standard UI" (this will simplify the usage of Schedule Care due to the user using a "known screen").
    -If a user does not select a status for any one of the functions it will default to the current state on the phone
    -Once complete the user will name and save the profile.

Check out the mock-ups I put together.....
    Nice work!!
    — Ed Howdershelt
  19.    #159  
    All.

Great feedback!!!!!

Just to be clear the profile manager and alert manger screens are just *mockups* for layout and design consideration. There is NO logic behind these screens yet. So the names and values in the lists were just for *example* purposes so that you see somthing when you hit the list buttons. I would never force people into any particular naming convensions.

As for the trigger conditions I was envisioning 3 conditions to execute a profile (feedback here please):

1) a timed event that is beyond (or in addition to) a calendar entry
    2) a location triggered event. This would be where you plugged into a power source which caused SC to check for a BlueTooth device. That event would drive the profile. So the one control that said (Time or BT Name) would have either a BT device name or a time. In this case the BT device name would be used.
    3) profile manually triggered by a hotkey.

I agree with the radio button concept but unfortunately there is no radio button control that is a part of the SDK. I plan to generate the same behavior with another control though.

I like the feedback and has generated some good dialog. I like th eidea that Xathros had about a tabbed window. I have not used this GUI concept yet in any of my apps but I think this is a perfect candidate for that UI design. I will work on building that into SC. The bad thing about the Palm is that there is such a reduced area to put GUI controls. Whilch in turn limits the expansion of the program as time goes on. But the tab design minimizes that restriction and also does not clutter the design with many buttons that take you to other screens. Nice idea!!! So I think I have a handle on this part of the design.

Something we have not talked about yet are 3 areas:

Hotkey selection of profiles
    PowerOn status screen
    Precedence Rules

Hotkey:
    I am thinking about alowing for a hotkey (side button, hard button, etc) to bring up a selection screen for switching profiles. Here I think simple is better. Is a simple list box with a sorted list of profile names what people would like to see? I am open to any and all suggestions.

Poweron:
    On power up, should there be a indication of the:
    Active Profile Name
    All Settings that are active
    Something else???

Precedence Rules:
    There obviously needs to be rules about which command to execute when the same command is listed for a particular time periods in different places. Here are my thoughts.

Timed or Location Profiles
    Categories (override profiles)
    Calendar Entries (override categories and profiles)
    Manual profiles (override calendar entries, categories and profiles)

Well enough for tonight.

I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions. If you haven't already guessed, I am creating this program for you and so I need and want your ideas. I believe in creating programs that people want/need and that they can take a pride of ownership because they were part of the creation process.

I'm on the road now but I will go back and read in detail everyone's feedback tomorrow and begin putting together another prototype ASAP. Putting the logic behind the prototype will be easy but I will not do that until we get closer to a layout that makes sense.

Again thanks!!

Jeff
  20.    #160  
    I second the nomination.

-X
    I also agree. She gets one above and beyond the 3 for the most found bugs and 1 one for vandee2004 for his moderator efforts. WOW I've given more away already than I have sold. How many developers to that? But the way I look at it is this: Everyone has given a lot of time to making this program work and this is the right thing to do. By the time phase 2 (full profile support) is released I will probably give away more to significant contributors. So I hope that I am setting a standard for others to follow.

Jeff
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast